Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Newbie needing help
marcus01235oxon
New User

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 312674 posted on 19-12-2007 at 11:10 Reply With Quote
Newbie needing help

I have got ahold of a pc. its a compaq presario sr1000 with 80gb hdd, 128mb nvidia fx5200 graphics card (AGP).

I've connected my monitor up via the card and powered up. The unit kicks in to life. Fans spinning etc. Nothing appears on the monitor. it remains in stand by. I can't connect to the onboard graphics as my monitor cable has a male end and the onboard port is a male port.

I took the hard drvie out and connected it to my working pc. I used it with slave settings. and i can see whats on it fine. I then re-booted the pc and selected to boot from the slave and got no where. nothing seem to happen. the monitor doesn't go in to standby though. It just has "_" on the screen flashing.

Any ideas??? Its probably something silly and i'm missing something.

I was going to try and install xp on to it, but couldn't find my validation key to try and install it straight to that drive, not sure whether i could do that to be honest either. Was having a stressful night trying.

Would taking the hard drive out of my old machine, and putting this new one in, and powering up with the xp disc work????
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 312676 posted on 19-12-2007 at 11:47 Reply With Quote

TBH, it could be any number of things... Power supply, (just because things light up and spin, doesn't mean the PSU is working propery) it could be the Graphics, it could be RAM (memory) problems, it could be CPU, or it could be a problem with the Mobo, (Motherboard).

Unless you've got access to parts you can swap out and test with, I think it "may" be difficult to get too far, and it may be better seeking a local PC repair guy.

You've confused me with your comment about the onboard VGA port... I think you are mixing up an onboard VGA with a Serial Port....? Any VGA will look the same, be it on a PCI/AGP/PCI-E seperate graphics card, or onboard with the the Mobo.

Obvious things to check first though, are that the RAM is seated properly, and not slightyl dislodged itself. (Be firm, but be careful!)

Check the GFX card is seated firmly.

Check all cables are firmly seated.

XP Home cannot be installed one more than one PC at a time. If you've lost your Serial Number, Magical Jelly Bean with find your SN on the system for you.

Unless the hardware is very similar, taking out your current HDD and putting it in the Compaq will cause all sorts of problems, and is not advised TBH. You'll more than likely get Blue screen after Blue screen.

Giving us the exact Compaq Model number would help us to help you too...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
marcus01235oxon
New User

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 312678 posted on 19-12-2007 at 12:13 Reply With Quote

Ok i'll try this tonight and get back to you. I must have got the serial confused with a vga port.

Can i install an operating system on to a different harddrive?

I was thinking of re-installing xp on to the hdd anyway. can i connect it up to my other pc and install on to it that way?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.