Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The Writers' strike
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 311501 posted on 9-12-2007 at 20:52 Reply With Quote
The Writers' strike

article
I heard a discussion of this with someone involved in the situation. He said that, when the producers suggested a $250 payment for streaming video use, someone from the writers' side suggested $20,000 instead.:o

He asked them, if the writers wanted the producers to grant them that, what would they give up to get it? They didn't have any ideas. He said, "The old contract said that you had to be flown in first-class if you were needed to write something. A lot of other people in the business don't always travel first class. For the $20,000 per streaming video, would you be willing to accept less than a paid, first-class ticket?" They said no.

Another possibility would be less expensive hotel accomodations. The old contract required that writers be put up in five-star hotels. Would they be willing to stay in a four-star hotel, if they got $20,000 per streaming video? No, they were unwilling to stay in less than a five-star hotel at the expense of the project--and they wanted $20,000 for each item available through internet streaming.

If the writers are negotiating that tough, I have less sympathy for them. It isn't as if television writing is so superbly brilliant that one can hardly bear to miss any episode of anything.smokin:
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 311503 posted on 9-12-2007 at 21:00 Reply With Quote

I wonder if the writers are aware of how much they will hurt the industry. When no new scripted shows are available, how many people will get out of the habit of watching TV? If someone joins a volleyball group, a bowling league, starts playing cards with neighbors, etc., they may not return to their living room chairs when the strike does end.

Do you favor either side? I understand Brits won't write for American projects during the strike, but writers from other countries (Germany, for example) could do so without violating their own union rules. If I hear American dialogue with "Make the door shut" instead of "Shut the door," I'll know whence it came.

Would you be satisfied with earnings of $230,000 per year, or would you press for more? Should they be willing to accept less deluxe travel or hotels? Aren't good TV writers in shorter supply than good actors?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 311510 posted on 9-12-2007 at 22:24 Reply With Quote

It's not so much their actual normal earnings though is it? I read it was about the failure of the companies to pay them fairly for internet and international sales.

I watch tv quite seldom so it's not affecting me at all at the moment. It would take me quite some time to get through even the DVDs that lie unopened on my DVD shelf.

As to habits, perhaps we should all get more of a real life and start pointing our furniture towards somewhere other than the tv.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.