Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: How do schools teach religion nowadays?
Dreamweaver
The Phantom....

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Empty....

[*] Post 311320 posted on 8-12-2007 at 10:00 Reply With Quote
How do schools teach religion nowadays?

In light of this article here here that states "More than a quarter of adults in Britain do not know where Jesus was born, a survey has suggested.
The poll found that 27% of people were unable to identify Bethlehem as his birthplace, rising to 36% of people aged between 18 and 24.

The poll, for public theology think tank Theos, also found 27% did not know who told Mary she would have a son. "

Also in schools this year only 1 in 5 are opting to stage the traditional Christmas Story as told here

So it would seems any christian (or indeed any other ) beliefs will be taught at home and at church.

I am just curious to know how schools go about teaching what was RE in my day.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 311321 posted on 8-12-2007 at 10:08 Reply With Quote

Well in my school we teach about world faiths and each year group concentrates on a different religion. For example the first years study Buddhism. We teach - "This is what Christians believe" rather than "This is what we believe".
Primary schools tend to be topic based around subjects like "The Wedding," where the teacher will look at how different faiths would celebrate a sacrament. I'm not surprised that children don't understand key concepts about Christianity as it is given no more weight than Islam or Hinduism etc.
As far as I'm concerned, if you want your children taught about a particular religion you should send your children to a faith school.
I have chosen to send my daughter to a Catholic school so that RE is taught with a Christian emphasis.
janet
Mismatched shoes

Theme: Forest

Mood: Devastated

[*] Post 311331 posted on 8-12-2007 at 11:29 Reply With Quote

There is no national curriculum in England for RS, RE, or any other permutation of that phrase. It's the only subject in that situation.

There are *model* syllabi - from which each area comes up with an agreed syllabus, like the one in Bristol

How it's taught differs widely from place to place and from school to school. And the schools are in a real bind - no matter what they do, a proportion of parents will be unhappy with them.

However, simply because a proportion of adults don't know something doesn't mean it wasn't taught. :} I had a whole group of 30 year olds once who claimed never to have been told that England had a civil war!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.