Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Omaha, Nebraska shopping mall shooting
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 311248 posted on 7-12-2007 at 17:57 Reply With Quote
Omaha, Nebraska shopping mall shooting

Earlier this week, a teenager opened fire in an Omaha shopping mall. He killed 8 people and wounded some others before shooting himself.

Earlier in life, he was put out of his home after threatening his mother's life. He dropped out of school, and his girlfriend broke up with him recently. He has one drug conviction. The final straw was when he was fired from McDonald's under the accusation of stealing $17.

In his suicide note, he said he was sorry for being a burden, and that he planned to at least become famous.

I wish a way had been found to set him on the right path. I don't know if there was any religious influence in his background.

If he was determined to kill himself, at least an armed citizen could have taken him down after the first few shots. The whole episode was over in about six minutes, quicker than the police could intervene.:(
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 311251 posted on 7-12-2007 at 18:09 Reply With Quote

I've heard hosts of two different radio shows propose that media news outlets should agree not to give mass murderers the fame they seek. If TV, radio, and newspapers agreed not to use his picture, and to use the name minimally, it would take away the "reward" of fame.

When misbehaving fans ran onto the field of a televised football game this past week, the cameras were directed away and the commentary went to other things. If the news agencies could cooperate, the same could be done with shootings.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 311305 posted on 8-12-2007 at 04:41 Reply With Quote

Tonight, the ABC late night news program "Nightline" is showing the surveillance tape of the shooter entering the mall, and then with his gun raised to shoot at people.

Next they went over some of the contents of the notes he left.

I find it upsetting that they are giving even more notoriety to the killer, and any number of possible future killers are seeing it. :(
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.