Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Laws are made to be ignored?
Badgergirl
The great striped one

Theme: Halloween 2005

Mood: In love.

sad.gif Post 310985 posted on 5-12-2007 at 16:12 Reply With Quote
Laws are made to be ignored?

My Partner was given a 10 hour shift the other day, which was nice for the Cash. Unfortunatley the poor sod was only given 15 mins break all day. When he asked the Manager, he just said "I've been in longer and I've not had my break ether".

Sorry mate, that's YOUR problem! If I understand it, there would be about 1-1/2 hrs in that day where My Jay wasn't getting paid!

My Brother is on a 10pm-6am night shift this week, for Seven Days in a row!

The other Day, my Partner ended up with a 3pm-midnight followed by a 5 hour break, followed by another 6 hour shift. With NO time to travel the hour home (and back) as the break came in the middle of the night!

Again, no sympathy from the management.

I bring this up with folk from time to time, most of them just say "Meh, That's Work for you"

So what we are telling ourselves is that the Laws made to keep us safe and healthy are there to be ignored!
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310990 posted on 5-12-2007 at 16:22 Reply With Quote

Earlier in my life, I had a boss who did not allow the morning and evening breaks required by law. :(

Most of the workers took the breaks on their own initiative, when he wasn't there, but they kept working if he was present. When I was new, and didn't know this was the practice, I stopped to take my break at the usual time and got chewed out for it.

Since I wanted to keep the job, I never make any official complaint.
Dreamweaver
The Phantom....

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Empty....

[*] Post 310993 posted on 5-12-2007 at 16:45 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
My Partner was given a 10 hour shift the other day, which was nice for the Cash. Unfortunatley the poor sod was only given 15 mins break all day. When he asked the Manager, he just said "I've been in longer and I've not had my break ether".

Sorry mate, that's YOUR problem! If I understand it, there would be about 1-1/2 hrs in that day where My Jay wasn't getting paid!

My Brother is on a 10pm-6am night shift this week, for Seven Days in a row!

The other Day, my Partner ended up with a 3pm-midnight followed by a 5 hour break, followed by another 6 hour shift. With NO time to travel the hour home (and back) as the break came in the middle of the night!

Again, no sympathy from the management.

I bring this up with folk from time to time, most of them just say "Meh, That's Work for you"

So what we are telling ourselves is that the Laws made to keep us safe and healthy are there to be ignored!

Rest assured though, if there was an accident it would be your partners/brothers fault.

The problem is if no one tells anyone it will carry on and on.

The only advice I would give is to tell someone, possibly A.C.A.S or environmental health. I am sure they wouldn't divulge the source if rquested.

Heres a link to ACAS they give all the regulations etc for workers.

Workers Rights
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.