Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Dual and quad core
KOUROSH
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 310915 posted on 5-12-2007 at 07:54 Reply With Quote
Dual and quad core

is there anyone who has a dual or quad core CPU. i would like to know whether a dual or quad core cpu will make any difference in terms of speed and better picture reception when one watches youtube or internet TV. i have noticed some considerable difference by adding one more GB of RAM many thanks
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 310920 posted on 5-12-2007 at 10:20 Reply With Quote

I run DualCore... (Early AMD version)

Not sure that changing your CPU will improve your "reception of YouTube or Internet TV" though...

As you found out RAM helps, but all it does is help Windows deal with things better, in much the same way an upgrade in CPU would help Windows deal with things better...

But it's unlikely, IMHO, to make much, if any, improvment to picture quality/reception...

Upgrading your Graphics card would obviously make a difference to picture quality, or even upgrading your Monitor.....

But, IMHO, having as fast a Broadband connection as you can get/afford will be the biggest influence on YouTube and Internet TV I would think...

Just my thoughts....
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 310922 posted on 5-12-2007 at 10:34 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH
is there anyone who has a dual or quad core CPU. i would like to know whether a dual or quad core cpu will make any difference in terms of speed and better picture reception when one watches youtube or internet TV. i have noticed some considerable difference by adding one more GB of RAM many thanks

I have a dual core AMD.

How much benefit you get depends on what you are doing and is the software you are using is written to take advantage of dual core.

Just viewing u-tube is not going to do much unless you are also doing other things at the same time.

One thing I use it for is virtual machines. I can set the 'affinity' of the virtual process to one CPU or the other and this tune whic processes use which CPU core.

Not tried quad core yet :)

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.