Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: HJT Please Pancake
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 310815 posted on 4-12-2007 at 12:43 Reply With Quote
HJT Please Pancake

Looking at friends lappy because it is doing screwy things, I think I've found all the probs, but still a couple of niggles.

Toshiba Sattelite running Vista Home

She, I suspect is a "click this, seems good" type of person (does have some learning disabilities, so need to make this as safe and easy for her as I can). Spybot cleaned up a heap of stuff and AdAware, AVG, and M$ Regclean tidied up a bit more. Ccleaner cleaned out the rest.

Now HJT is throwing up the message that "the system has denied access to the hosts file...." followed by "An unexpected error has occured at procedure: modMain_CheckOther1Item() Error #75 - Path/File access error....." which I suspect is related to the first message.

From there it gives a scan, but I am unable to delete the missing files. Your thoughts, please. Two other things: The Winsoze Narrator keeps re-enabling itself at reboot, but I can find no reference in startup for it and Can the "Shutdown"button be changed on the "Start" bar, currently it hibernates unless I bring up the shutdown menu, I need to change it, if possible.
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 310898 posted on 5-12-2007 at 02:46 Reply With Quote

If you've got the SideBar enabled, you can add a widget (or whatever M$ calls them) to the SideBar, that will give you Shutdown, Restart and Standby buttons... Makes life easier...

Or you can use the Classic Start Menu, (Taskbar properties) and that will bring up a more normal looking Start > Shutdown button sequence.

Vista Shutdown Control Gadget
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Pancake
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 310910 posted on 5-12-2007 at 06:25 Reply With Quote

Everything in the log look fine.I dont see any problem.I would run ComboFix but its not yet compatible with Vista so just to be sure run Deckard and that will let me see whats hidding,if anything.

Download http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/Deckard/dss.exe Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.

Close all applications and windows.
Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt <-this one will be minimized .

Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the main.txt back to the forum.

Please do the same with extra.txt .

=========

What DSS will do:
1: Creat a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
2: Clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
3: Check some important areas of your system and produce a report for me to review. DSS automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have HijackThis installed.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.