Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: CMI-8738/PCI-4CH Series audio chip installation
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310663 posted on 3-12-2007 at 17:48 Reply With Quote
CMI-8738/PCI-4CH Series audio chip installation

I bought this sound card at the computer fair some weeks ago. It came with a mini-CD. The instructions that came with it say:
1 Please put the CD into your CD-ROM. Specify the location of the Sound Card driver. In the sub-catalogue of the CD.
2 A message of install a new Sound Card appear, click "yes", Then select "Add", click "item"
3 Please select the specify Com Port, click Next.
4 The installation has been completee click Finish.

How do I know which Com Port to specify? Is there anything else I need to know?

This is being installed onto a machine in which the onboard sound stopped working. I tried a USB sound card bought at another computer fair, but had no success getting it to work.

I hope for a fairly speedy response, because I plan to install it today, if possible. :D
Topcat
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Hopeful.

[*] Post 310677 posted on 3-12-2007 at 19:24 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

Is there anything else I need to know?

I hope for a fairly speedy response, because I plan to install it today, if possible. :D

Normally you fit the PCI card, boot the computer and let it detect it. then when you get to the install drivers section you select the "Have Disk" option, navigate to the drive where the disk is click OK, it will install everything for you.

If that doesn't work the other option is to go through the "ADD new hardware" option from Control Panel,
but again install the PCI card first.

:comp2)
Topcat
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310681 posted on 3-12-2007 at 19:37 Reply With Quote

You mean the computer was supposed to be OFF when I put the card in?shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Only kidding, I knew that! :D
I can tell you've given it a little thought, which is exactly what I'd wanted. The instructions sound as if one were using "ADD HARDWARE"; but, I thought (as you have said) Windows should notice the difference when it boots up and ask for the driver.

Thank you, Topcat. I like confirmation for confidence before I proceed.;)

I remember one of our other members was recently having trouble installing a sound card, and had troubles which elicited a discussion. (I think there was even talk of needing to install the sound card with a fresh Windows, before other drivers). It sounds as if we don't expect this one to be that much trouble--YET.:o
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.