Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: organic fish
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310467 posted on 1-12-2007 at 22:13 Reply With Quote
organic fish

I've been listening to a program from an environmentalist viewpoint, on which there is a discussion of "organic fish."

According to the ordinary science meaning, all food is organic. (What else would it be? Do you chew on rocks?) However, there is a movement to distinguish "natural" foods from that which is produced with the help of chemical fertilizer, etc. (Again, according to the ordinary meaning, all foods are natural, with very few exceptions [e. g. the supernatural components of the Sacrament of the Altar, or the manna given the Israelites]).

This proponent of assigning a technical meaning to the phrase "organic fish" has in mind fish that are raised without antibiotics or chemical contamination. She had in mind fish that are raised in a large, enclosed, controlled environment (such as farm fish ponds).

I was amazed when she said that fish harvested from the ocean ("wild fish") should not be considered organic because one doesn't know for sure they haven't encountered any chemicals! shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

What do you think of such labels and categories? Does your government define them?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 310528 posted on 2-12-2007 at 12:15 Reply With Quote

Organic foods are just a marketing ploy to convince suckers to part with more of their hard earned cash than the rest of us! No matter how you grow your food, fish included, there will always be some chemical interaction, how the h**l does it take in nutrients. Even the soil in which the fruit and vegetables is grown is a chemical cocktail. Any creature that eats the food is also subject to the the same chemicals.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 310530 posted on 2-12-2007 at 12:38 Reply With Quote

I think of organic as natural with no artificial man-made additions. By that both lots of fish would qualify in my opinion. Like LS though I'm not a great buyer of organic produce. I prefer locally grown as my main criteria, wherever possible, to reduce my carbon footprint.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.