Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: UK Aid to Sudan
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 310235 posted on 29-11-2007 at 23:47 Reply With Quote
UK Aid to Sudan

I've read a comment today that because of the way the British teacher has been treated in the Sudanese courts we should refuse further aid to that country.

A recent reply to the commons about UK funding to Sudan was as follows:

Gareth Thomas (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for International Development) | Hansard source

The UK is the second largest bilateral humanitarian donor to Sudan and has spent over 145 million supporting emergency relief operations in Darfur since April 2004. This aid is having a clear and positive effect. It has contributed to food assistance for an estimated five million people, non-food items for 300,000 households and access to clean water for 2.3 million people. Our 40 million contribution in 2007 to the pioneering Common Humanitarian Fund has provided 340,000 households with non-food items, assisted approximately 75,000 organised returnees, 105,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) and refugees and assisted future organised returns for over 500,000 IDPs. In Southern Sudan it has enabled nine million children to be vaccinated against Polio, one million against measles and resulted in a 19 per cent. drop in food aid requirements. The UK also has a 12 million p.a. bilateral programme with non-governmental organisations in Darfur which provides water, sanitation and health care to over four million people, of which 2.2 million are internally displaced in camps.

The UK has pledged 5 million to the Darfur Community Peace and Stability Fund launched by the UN and international partners to promote peace and reconciliation at the community level and contributed 73 million to the African Union Mission in Sudan to help support the protection of civilians in Darfur. The UK stands ready to implement a major recovery programme, pending the cessation of hostilities.
Do you think that financial restrictions should be used in this case or others like it?
runrig
Gaelic Crusader

Theme: Coffee

Mood: lier-sgrios.

[*] Post 310261 posted on 30-11-2007 at 10:08 Reply With Quote

It seems that a lot of the aid has gone on funding weapons, how can a country find money to arm itself but not feed its population. Whilst we keep giving...they will keep taking.
:(:(:(
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 310287 posted on 30-11-2007 at 12:07 Reply With Quote

It seems to me that giving humanitarian items (not money) to those who need it (not to leaders or gangs who would sell it) is a fairly straightforward proposition. Every person who was vaccinated under British supervision got the intended benefit.

Because of the history of corruption in the UN, including two scandals involving using young native women for sex, I do not trust them. I am more inclined to trust church charities or private charities. (With respect to church charities, some are dedicated charities, while others are [unfortunately] add-ons to TV ministries of wealthy celebrity preachers. I would look into their finances before making a contribution.)

I think it would be a bad thing to leave a starving child unfed because a policeman and judge elsewhere in the same country applied the laws harshly.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.