Karl`s PC Help Forums

Olympic Medal Tally
marymary100 - 10-8-2008 at 10:24

official link

scholar - 10-8-2008 at 11:03

Of course, you don't want to actually USE the link, if your local television coverage will show a competition delayed, and you don't want to know how it will turn out.shocked_yellow

(This might be obvious to seasoned TV watchers, but I did not know that my broadcast station was going to do some delayed-coverage until after they showed the delayed event, at which time they said it had happened earlier. Since I was working and watching at the same time, I may have missed an earlier mention.);)

scholar - 13-8-2008 at 23:37

I have heard the TV announcers say a sport called "water polo" will be shown tonight.

Who would have thought of such a thing? I didn't think horses could swim all that well. . .
laughy_smilie laughy_smilie laughy_smilie

SRD - 14-8-2008 at 06:56

:D

I note the Scots aren't doing too well. nananana

marymary100 - 17-8-2008 at 17:39

Total
G S B
1 CHN - China 14 6 3
2 USA - United States 12 5 12
3 GBR - Great Britain 5 3 4
What an extraordinary total to date for GBR. shocked_yellow

janet - 17-8-2008 at 18:47

I'm just in awe of *all* the performances - well done to all who managed to qualify to get there, as well as all medal winners!!:clap):clap)

marymary100 - 17-8-2008 at 18:57

I'm astounded by China's success although this morning Sky were talking about a Chinese man who eventually earned his bronze medal for China after his best ever performance and he was forced to apologise on television to the Chinese audience for "failing his country". All competitors are at their peak and like you I can only admire the efforts involved over many many years of dedication.

scholar - 17-8-2008 at 19:20

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
All competitors are at their peak.
This seems to me to be illogical. Given the fact that many athletes compete in more than one Olympics, what is the basis for saying that the Beijing Olympics is the peak for all competitors, and not either Athens or London for some of them?

Swimmer Dara Torres ("Grandma":D) is 41 years old. Are you sure she was not at her peak at an earlier age?

marymary100 - 17-8-2008 at 19:32

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:
This seems to me to be illogical. Given the fact that many athletes compete in more than one Olympics, what is the basis for saying that the Beijing Olympics is the peak for all competitors, and not either Athens or London for some of them?

Swimmer Dara Torres ("Grandma":D) is 41 years old. Are you sure she was not at her peak at an earlier age?

What is it about your personality that you feel the need to restate and question EVERYTHING????????

scholar - 18-8-2008 at 00:05

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What is it about your personality that you feel the need to restate and question EVERYTHING????????
I don't question everything, but reading something that is illogical is like finding a bone in the bite I've just taken. One of my nicknames where I got my first degree was "Spock" because I analyzed and argued so logically.

I do tend toward perfectionism in my personality, more so toward myself than others. It sometimes serves me well to have high standards in my work; other times, I do more than is really necessary. "Good enough" IS good enough for many things.:)

scholar - 18-8-2008 at 03:08

In women's gymnastics, I just saw a woman age 33 win a medal in the vault competition.:D She's twice as old as some of the other gymnasts!shocked_yellow

Another competitor got a zero because she went ahead before the green light signal to go was activated.:(

I saw an analyst point out two mistakes that a Chinese medalist made in a women's gymnastic competition, each of which should have been a .8 deduction, but the score the judges gave did not reflect those deductions. He asserts the effort was wrongly scored, and the difference resulted in a wrong medal ranking. He sounded convincing (but, of course, I did not hear anyone justify the score that was given).

marymary100 - 18-8-2008 at 06:23

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't question everything, but reading something that is illogical is like finding a bone in the bite I've just taken. One of my nicknames where I got my first degree was "Spock" because I analyzed and argued so logically.

I do tend toward perfectionism in my personality, more so toward myself than others. It sometimes serves me well to have high standards in my work; other times, I do more than is really necessary. "Good enough" IS good enough for many things.:)
Enough already!

SRD - 18-8-2008 at 07:51

Quote:
Quote:

Quite simply because there are many peaks in an athletes career, they work their way up to major competitions then rest, reducing their fitness and resting until the build up to the next major competition. One of the most difficult things is to get that 'peak' to coincide with the actual period of the competition.
It is true that one of those peaks will be the highest, but that doesn't mean that the others can't be considered peaks as well.

LSemmens - 18-8-2008 at 15:30

If, in the course of the actual competition, they create a new personal best, then they are at their peak. If, however, they win gold, but have performed better on other occasions, then they cannot be "at their peak".

As for the medal tally, for a small (Compared to China or even the US) country (population), guess who has won the most medals?

janet - 18-8-2008 at 16:08

Oh, wow!

I've just seen Phelps' golds - wow!

And the showjumping - talk about edge of your seat stuff! :) Well done all - and let's hear it for the first olympian to win 10 golds, and the 61 year old silver medalist! :)

LSemmens - 18-8-2008 at 16:26

Absolutely! They can be, justifiably, proud.

As an aside, does anyone know why Bowls is not an olympic sport? I was playing in a pairs comp tonight and it came up.

janet - 18-8-2008 at 17:38

I think the whole thing of what is and what is not an Olympic sport is highly contested... so I don't know why bowls isn't. Certainly you'd find enough people in the UK who'd think it should be - and in France, I suspect!

Do sports ever get dropped, does anyone know? Is rythmic gymnastics still in the games?

scholar - 18-8-2008 at 17:57

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Do sports ever get dropped, does anyone know? Is rythmic gymnastics still in the games?
I remember a report that said, "This will be the last time this sport will be part of the Olympic competition. It will be dropped from the next Olympic schedule." But I don't remember of which sport they spoke, or even if it was the summer or winter Olympics.

I suppose the Olympic Committee makes those decisions.

scholar - 18-8-2008 at 18:04

Discontinued Summer Sports
Basque Pelota
Cricket
Croquet
Golf
Jeu de Paume
Lacrosse
Polo
Rackets
Roque
Rugby Union
Tug of War

scholar - 18-8-2008 at 18:12

Kabaddi was played at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, and is popular in India and other parts of Asia.

Quote:
The game involves two teams of seven players, on a field roughly half the size of a basketball court, and played over two 20-minute halves. The teams take turns in sending a "raider" across to the opposite team's half, where the aim is to tag as many opponents as possible before returning to the home half. Tagged members are then "out" and sent off the field. All the while the raider must hold his breath ? to prove it he must continually chant a word ("kabaddi" in the Indian form of the game, hence the name).
from http://www.topendsports.com

This sounds like a game that children might make up and play!:o:o:o But, aside from the very detailed professional rules of most team sports, I think that could be said of many team game events.

marymary100 - 18-8-2008 at 18:38

I think they should include The Glass Bead Game...

scholar - 18-8-2008 at 18:43

Some might propose Warcraft.

Or Halo.

Or perhaps Grant Theft Auto. scared_stiff

janet - 18-8-2008 at 20:17

Quote:
I think they should include The Glass Bead Game...

Tetris!! :)

On a slightly less facetious note...

Do you think there will ever be driving in the Olympics? There are bikes but those are human propelled. However, that can't be said for the sailing boats...?

scholar - 19-8-2008 at 00:31

I just saw a hurdle competition in which one person clipped (tripped and knocked down) one hurdle. It so distracted the woman next to her that she fell behind all the others, and never caught up!

Then, I saw a graphic list on TV that looked as if it had large yellow Xs by two names. I thought perhaps those people had been eliminated.

No, it was a graphic of the flag of Jamaica--a yellow X on a background of darker colors!lips_sealedlips_sealed

scholar - 20-8-2008 at 02:47

I saw a men's gymnast competition on the parallel bars, in which the competitor from Uzbekistan won a bronze medal. I believe the announcer said it was the first time Uzbekistan had won an Olympic medal, ever (but, was he speaking of all events, or just gymnastics?) In either case, it was remarkable to see such a great performance, and especially exciting for a country to get a first medal.;):D

scholar - 20-8-2008 at 02:56

Lolo Jones, American in the hurdle competition, appeared to be heading for a gold medal, when she hit the ninth hurdle--finishing seventh. What a heartbreaker! Dawn Harper, another American, won the gold.

LSemmens - 20-8-2008 at 13:55

I'm always satisfied to see one of the "lesser" nations win a medal, especially if it's their first in an event.

scholar - 20-8-2008 at 15:47

I saw one of the American men's gymnastics team compete on the high bar, and it was remarkable in this respect: he added several difficult skills beyond what his usual routine might include, because a few of the others had high difficulty marks in their routines. Any difficult skill is a risk--a person might miss it in execution, or lose balance, or fall, or even tire so as to be unable to do other skills. This man piled them up--one after another after another.

Some men's gymnasts from other teams actually proved to be better. Some others "reached for the stars" and failed, even falling. This man did a pretty good job in all he attempted. Others did even better (at least one Chinese did better), but he got his first Olympic medal (bronze). Good for him!kewl_glasses