Karl`s PC Help Forums

Money where my mouth is
Redwolf5150 - 8-6-2008 at 03:42

I found out today why none of the Special Olympians in Merrill keep competing after the leave high school.

There is no coach for adult athletes here.

Now Jackie seems to think I'd be a natural at it. She even went so far as to ask around into what it would take to get certified as an official S.O. coach (a workshop).

Now I have to admit, the idea intrigues me. But I don't know if I'd be any good at it. I know what it takes to make a good picture of sports. It's quite another to work with someone with a disability to make them be the best they can be.

But as it stands now, there are a lot of young adults in the area -- including Jackie's daughter Allie now -- who won't be able to stay active and enjoy the social aspects of Special Olympics.

Somehow, I see myself doing this starting next Fall.

kewl_glasses

marymary100 - 8-6-2008 at 08:10

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem - so they say - so well done for recognising the need and trying to respond to it. I'm sure that once you undertake the training, you'll feel more confident about the task you've taken on. :)

SRD - 8-6-2008 at 10:08

Sounds great, should be good for your own health too.

LSemmens - 8-6-2008 at 13:14

Good on you, Jamie! You could document your experiences and publish them in your paper. It may encourage others to get involved. A Win, Win situation. Keep us posted upon your progress!