Karl`s PC Help Forums

Top read - The Lie
Queen of Ra - 30-8-2016 at 16:29

Just finished the above book and it was totally unputdownable. Really recommend.

C. L. Taylor

"I know your name's not really Jane Hughes ...Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She's happier than she's ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist"

marymary100 - 30-8-2016 at 22:02

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

LSemmens - 31-8-2016 at 03:56

Is it a "Girlie book"? or is it likely to appeal to the "macho man"? ;)

Nimuae - 31-8-2016 at 05:41

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Is it a "Girlie book"? or is it likely to appeal to the "macho man"? ;)

The author is English female, the book is described as a 'Psychological thriller'. If that genre interests you - you will enjoy it.waveysmiley

Queen of Ra - 31-8-2016 at 12:28

It's not overly girlie, although the story is told from a female POV.

LSemmens - 1-9-2016 at 01:01

I'm psycho as it is... don't need any more cheap thrills.:D

marymary100 - 3-9-2016 at 17:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen of Ra
Just finished the above book and it was totally unputdownable. Really recommend.

C. L. Taylor

"I know your name's not really Jane Hughes ...Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She's happier than she's ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist"

Spooky or what? I went to pick up the book club book today and this was waiting for me...

Quaver - 4-9-2016 at 07:06

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Spooky or what? I went to pick up the book club book today and this was waiting for me...

shocked_yellow

LSemmens - 4-9-2016 at 12:52

I'd be too scared to read it, now..........;) :D

John Barnes - 4-9-2016 at 13:52

One here for Mr Semmens
Its the new Mitch Rapp Called the Survivor
the original author was Vince Flynn, killed in a plane crash at age 42. now the franchise has been taken over by Kyle mills he is very good I have just read it

LSemmens - 4-9-2016 at 20:59

Question, where do you lot find the time to read a book? I can't work out how I ever found the time to go to work.........

marymary100 - 19-9-2016 at 13:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen of Ra

C. L. Taylor

Mmm - I read the first 150 pages and then indeed did put it down for 10 days. I picked it up again yesterday as the book club meets tomorrow. I'm aware that many books rely on the past/present narrative structure and also on the device of using lots of dialogue to tell the story but I have to be honest, it didn't grip me as much as I'd hoped.

It's too full of plot holes for me and relies on a forgiving central character to rationalise what happens but, if truth be told, few would react as calmly as she does if it were a RL scenario.

I'll tell you the scores out of 10 everyone gives it tomorrow.

LSemmens - 19-9-2016 at 23:27

I've not read the book, at all, or am even aware of the plot, but, I probably would react quite calmly whatever the crisis, I learnt years ago that getting worked up over something affects no-one except me.

Queen of Ra - 22-9-2016 at 16:27

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

but I have to be honest, it didn't grip me as much as I'd hoped.

Shame it didn't grab you like it grabbed me. I really enjoyed it. I've just read another one of hers called 'The Accident'. I liked this one too, although I did prefer The Lie.

marymary100 - 26-9-2016 at 21:55

The marks out of 10 ranged from 3 - 6. Most of the group scored low. I gave it the 6.

LSemmens - 27-9-2016 at 01:32

So, what sort of comments that elicited those marks, Mary.

marymary100 - 28-9-2016 at 22:03

The characters are not likeable. There are badly edited sentences. These are two of the criticisms.

LSemmens - 29-9-2016 at 04:24

I see. What demographic would you say that this story is targeting?

marymary100 - 29-9-2016 at 05:23

It's a crime procedural told from the POV of the victim who is an unreliable witness. The timeline jumps around, as does the setting. The majority is flashback to a hippy style retreat to explain current events. The demographic of the novel would be people who like that sort of thing. ;)