Karl`s PC Help Forums

The Color Purple
Queen of Ra - 29-7-2013 at 12:11

Went to see a musical version of The Color Purple yesterday in London - absolutely phenomenal!

Where some West End shows hide their deficiencies behind fancy sets, scenery and lighting, this was completely stripped back with just the stage, some wooden chairs and the actors. It was all about performance, and what a performance it was! Passionate, heart breaking, sometimes funny but ultimately uplifiting. The lead actress playing Miss Celie was off the hook, her voice soaring to the very heavens.

Standing ovation!

QOR

marymary100 - 29-7-2013 at 12:44

Interesting QoR. I didn't even know there was a musical version.

LSemmens - 30-7-2013 at 01:02

I wonder if we'll ever see it Down Under, and, if we do, whether, SWMBO and I will be able to afford it.

Nimuae - 30-7-2013 at 05:58

The original film was very powerful - Whoopi Goldberg was in it and some chat show person, I think, not sure.

I don't understand the current obsession with turning everything into a musical - but am glad you enjoyed it, Queenie.

scholar - 1-8-2013 at 01:15

If you're going to add something to a story, I think food is the very thing. . . .:D:P;)

Nimuae - 1-8-2013 at 04:29

Food would be good !waveysmiley

Queen of Ra - 1-8-2013 at 12:30

Oprah Winfrey was the chat show person. I've heard she was very good (not seen the movie version but have it at home on DVD).

I wasn't aware of it as a musical either - the tickets were a birthday present from my BFF.

I've also seen the Shawshank Redemption as a musical. It was pretty good too (although this was a while ago).

QOR

Nimuae - 1-8-2013 at 16:43

LOL! I really cannot imagine Shawshank as a musical - but - it was an excellent film.