Karl`s PC Help Forums

Movies recently watched
Queen of Ra - 6-1-2012 at 13:21

So, got to catch up on a bunch of movies over the festive break, here are a few:

The Kings Speech - fantastic performances from both Firth and Rush and felt myself hanging on every word at the end

Dorian Gray - slow paced but compelling gothic horror

Alice in Wonderland - weird and trippy

Unknown - good action/thriller with Liam Neeson

But that's just my opinions...

QOR

marymary100 - 6-1-2012 at 13:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen of Ra
So, got to catch up on a bunch of movies over the festive break, here are a few:

The Kings Speech - fantastic performances from both Firth and Rush and felt myself hanging on every word at the end

Dorian Gray - slow paced but compelling gothic horror

Alice in Wonderland - weird and trippy

Unknown - good action/thriller with Liam Neeson

But that's just my opinions...

QOR
I saw The King's Speech, Unknown and Alice in Wonderland in the cinema. I agree entirely about hanging on every word for the King's Speech. By the time you have watched the process of speech therapy you have such a personal investment in the character of the king that you almost forget to breathe yourself.

Unknown had enough twists and turns to make the story worth a look but at the end of the day it is not a classic imo.

Alice in Wonderland was in 3D when I saw it and to be honest it was amazing because of that. I don't think that it is nearly as good as a 2D movie.

John_Little - 6-1-2012 at 13:44

We watched "Paul" on DVD the other day. A present from a friend. Delightful film.

marymary100 - 6-1-2012 at 13:47

You know, Paul made me laugh like a drain. It pleasantly surprised me.

Queen of Ra - 6-1-2012 at 17:07

Being something of a geek I went to see Paul at the cinema, there were so many in jokes and little references to so many classic/well known sci-fi, comics etc, I too found it most amusing.

Am I right in thinking that at the very beginning of the movie, the music from the library scene from Ghostbusters is being played?

QOR

John_Little - 6-1-2012 at 17:31

I'll have to watch it again and let you know.

marymary100 - 6-1-2012 at 17:36

Some references here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092026/movieconnections but I'm not sure of that one.

John_Little - 6-1-2012 at 18:13

Blimeym QOR, and you call yourself a geek!

Redwolf5150 - 6-1-2012 at 18:46

Jackie and I did a double feature on New Years Day

Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Transformers: Dark of the Moon

We watched The King's Speech just before Christmas.

I'm whining to see Sherlock Holmes on the big screen.

victor - 6-1-2012 at 23:31

Just finished watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I can't believe my 9 year old granddaughter was allowed to watch it.

LSemmens - 7-1-2012 at 06:01

Paul looks interesting. I remember going to see one movie, can't remember what it was now, and the support movie was better than the feature! The name of the support? Wayne's World! I still enjoy it!

John_Little - 7-1-2012 at 12:30

We saw Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey again on Christmas day. Excellent!

marymary100 - 7-1-2012 at 13:03

I saw 2 films yesterday. One was an animation called Eleanor's Secret. It isn't brilliantly drawn but the story is quite charming about a family who inherit Eleanor's house after she dies aged 100. She leaves the key to a secret room to the grandson. As a non-reader is he very disappointed to find out that the secret room is a library. The characters in the fairy tales come to life and he has until noon to save them by learning to read the magic spell and of course the fairy tale characters can't read either. This won't spoil it I hope but at the end there is a cartoon journey around the world and we hear parents all over the world reading to their young children. I found that very touching.

The second film was Hereafter where three different characters in 3 different locations question if there is life after death. About 1/3 of it is in French because one of the characters is a French journalist who gets caught up in the tsunami and drowns but is resuscitated. I'm not sure why films these days have so much in a foreign language with subtitles. I like this but several of my friends only ever watch foreign films if they are dubbed. Anyway, interesting ideas and worth a look.

My daughter saw the Thatcher film yesterday in the cinema and tells me she wept her way through it (much like many people did during her tenure as PM). However, she says that the dementia section is hard to take but that she highly recommends it.

victor - 7-1-2012 at 23:11

Needful Things.
Typical Stephen King you can only try and guess where it's going next.

LSemmens - 8-1-2012 at 12:29

I actually watched "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" yesterday, was not what I expected.

Queen of Ra - 10-1-2012 at 13:18

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little

What? What did I do?

QOR

Queen of Ra - 10-1-2012 at 13:20

Watched RED last night with Bruce Willis and John Malkovich (when I say 'with', I don't mean they were in my front room watching the film with me, I mean that they were the stars of the film. Sheesh, you know what I mean)!

It was surprisingly good. Rather enjoyed it. Worth a look.

QOR

John_Little - 10-1-2012 at 13:45

Quote:
Quote:

What? What did I do?

QOR

All you did, was claim to be "a bit of a geek" but when I clicked on the link about Paul, I was taken aback by the number of references to other films and comics and stuff and by the long list of small mistakes made during the filming. I mean, who pays that much attention to anything?

John_Little - 10-1-2012 at 16:05

Quote:
Being something of a geek
I went to see Paul at the cinema, there were so many in jokes and little references to so many classic/well known sci-fi, comics etc, I too found it most amusing.
QOR

Queen of Ra - 10-1-2012 at 17:28

I see. Well, tis true. I am a geek and proud of it.

:P

QOR

John_Little - 11-1-2012 at 09:59

But I bet you were out-geeked by whoever compiled that list.

LSemmens - 11-1-2012 at 13:27

I've just worked my way through all 14 episodes of "Firefly" and followed up with "Serenity" which I hadn't seen. Surprisingly, I was almost (I repeat, almost) in tears during the movie. It is extremely short sighted of Fox to have forced Joss Whedon into making the movie, there were so many loose ends that he had to tie up in the movie that it could Personally, I think Firefly was better than any of the Star Trek franchise, and I am a Trekkie from way back!

Queen of Ra - 11-1-2012 at 17:26

Joss Whedon has had a run of bad luck - Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse were all cancelled. At least Angel and Dollhouse were able to complete the series. It was ridiculous for Fox to have cancelled Firefly mid way through.

QOR

marymary100 - 11-1-2012 at 18:03

I've got the Firefly box set.

LSemmens - 12-1-2012 at 10:04

Hopefully, Firefly will be a phoenix along the lines of Star Trek, his view of the Universe as it may become, I suspect, far nearer our future than that of Star Trek, Star Wars or any other Space "prediction"

Queen of Ra - 12-1-2012 at 13:23

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
I've got the Firefly box set.

Me too. And the movie Serenity.

marymary100 - 13-1-2012 at 23:47

I just watched Never Let Me Go which I missed in the cinema. Interesting issues of morality and what makes us human. Sad though, be warned. :(

dr john - 14-1-2012 at 00:16

Got myself a cheap subscription to lovefilm - 6 for three months!, from groupon, and been gorging myself on movies for seven weeks now, and with streaming legally included, I must have seen about 20-22 movies so far (I used to be a regular cinema goer, but stopped when I was made redundant and never got back into the habit. So I've a lot to catch up on)

So I'm making notes from this thread for my next seven weeks worth. ;)

Seen recently
Girl with dragon tattoo trilogy,
original swedish version, saw last one just as they released the american version. Fans will like them and say "THIS is Lisbeth" when she strides defiantly towards the court in full goth make-up in third film! And yes THAT part with her new guardian in the first book is pretty harrowing even for a male to watch.
The first film is close to the book, the second and third are shortened and have several less characters to fit it all in.

Hearafter,
Jumper,
Let the right one in
(swedish again, and I found it really good, loved the final couple of scenes, and felt that at least one of the deleted scenes really should have been there. Vampire girl, aged "12").
Gran Torrino,
the newer Tron,
Monsters (the making off bit is incredible - almost totally ad libbed and locations found at random were used immediately, throughout mexico)
The Dark Knight
Apocalypto
one for the action fans, it starts slow, but when it starts to move, it just gets faster and faster, for over half the movie!
Sherlock Holmes
(quite different to the current bbc series, and just as much fun)
District 9 sci-fi, quite different to normal sci-fi too.

I've got Outlander and the kings speech in the post just now.

John_Little - 14-1-2012 at 00:34

Bit of a movie buff then, Dr John?

LSemmens - 14-1-2012 at 03:47

I don't care if he watches his movies in the buff, as long as he doesn't do it around me!!nananana

marymary100 - 14-1-2012 at 19:14

It's A Kind of Funny Story - an exploration of mental illness and depression. Well worth a watching.

dr john - 16-1-2012 at 23:58

Quote:
Bit of a movie buff then, Dr John?

Used to be.

Just want value for money for my 6.
And I am certainly getting that!

victor - 20-1-2012 at 23:41

Amistad found this a good and historically informative Steven Spielberg film with a sad ending.

delanti - 6-4-2012 at 00:54

Watched Girl with dragon tattoo over the weekend. Had me riveted to the chair. Going to have to get me the books of that trilogy.waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 6-4-2012 at 03:35

We went to see Mirror Mirror.

It was okay.

Queen of Ra - 6-4-2012 at 11:48

I have just watched Hugo, which I thought was lovely, really heart warming.

Also Resident Evil: Afterlife. Neither lovely nor heart warming.

AND, I watched the most bizarre film ever a few weeks ago called 'Immortal'. Not to be confused with the recent blockbuster 'Immortals'. Very very odd movie.

QOR

marymary100 - 6-4-2012 at 11:57

I watched a rather depressing film called Chat Room last night. Not a feel good movie.

marymary100 - 9-4-2012 at 22:30

Something Borrowed

Advertised as a glossy romcom, I found this to be a flawed film with host of characters with virtually no redeeming features. Even the ending wasn't the one I wanted. Totally skewed morals won out - American bridezilla type morals.

LSemmens - 10-4-2012 at 00:14

I haven't been watching movies over the last few days, but have watched numerous episodes of Doctor Who (every David Tennant, currently 2/3 through Matt Smith and early Tom Baker), am also up to season four of Dexter, which is a very interesting show where the villain is the hero.

waffler - 11-4-2012 at 00:20

Movies what are those , I have Netflix and don't even bother with it . waveysmiley

Queen of Ra - 30-4-2012 at 12:33

Just watched The Social Network. Very very good.

Also, Puss in Boots. Very very poor.

QOR

LSemmens - 30-4-2012 at 13:57

My grandchildren loved Puss in boots, I forgot that I had watched it with them. Am currently half way through the first "Doctor", William Hartnell, gee, the plots and the outfits were corny then, but I still have fond memories of them as a child.

marymary100 - 30-4-2012 at 17:41

I watched "Bad Teacher" at the weekend. I took notes...