Karl`s PC Help Forums

NEW Challenge
Nimuae - 10-11-2011 at 08:21

I haven't given you one of these for a while. I was at a 'writers day' recently during which we had to chose six words out of a hat, tombola fashion, and use them to make a story or poem.
My six were :-

Rich: Curiosity: Fire: Breath: Echo: Stars.

See what you can make from them.

Nimuae - 10-11-2011 at 08:27

Here is what I made from them :-

Rich. Curiosity. Fire. Breath. Echo. Stars.

I am lying in the gutter. Wet, cold and abandoned. Just another piece of nature’s detritus. People pass me by without a second glance but I have known glory days. My life began in Spring when the sweet breath of April tempted me into unfurling and my vibrant, sap enhanced green shone in the sunshine, My stem was strong then and my grasp upon my branch unshakable. Then came Summer; her gentle kiss made me blush to a rosy gold; her soft winds taught me to dance and sway to life’s inevitable rhythm. They brought an echo from another time, telling tales of far off lands where the days are always warm and the night are full of stars. Autumn arrived in a shower of rain. Her tears stroked my surface and transformed me to a rich russet glow; but her nights became cold and my grasp on life less firm. Sunrise hit the sky with a ball of fire and the North wind’s cruel hand shook tree, and branch, and twig into nakedness. So here I lie. Maybe, just maybe, someone will notice me. Perhaps the curiosity of a child will lift me from this place, keep me safe, admire my shape, my colours and learn from me. Perhaps not.

© 1st November, 2011

LSemmens - 10-11-2011 at 10:06

Rich: Curiosity: Fire: Breath: Echo: Stars.The Stars are a curiosity Their Breath is a fire that burns, rich in echo of creation.

Nimuae - 10-11-2011 at 10:26

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Rich: Curiosity: Fire: Breath: Echo: Stars.The Stars are a curiosity Their Breath is a fire that burns, rich in echo of creation.

Nice one Leigh !waveysmiley

the bear - 10-11-2011 at 11:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Quote:

Nice one Leigh !waveysmiley

Very quick off the mark Leigh, well done waveysmiley

Regards the Bear

Nimuae - 10-11-2011 at 21:38

[bad img]http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif[/bad img][bad img]http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif[/bad img][badimg]http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif[/bad img]

Nimuae - 19-11-2011 at 16:29

How about this one then :-

BOWL: SADDLE: PEN: NAILS: COMPUTER: LANTERN:

James took an apple from the bowl in the kitchen and headed out to the stables. His chestnut mare whinnied her thanks for the treat and stood obediently while, with deft but gentle fingers, the groom combed and plaited her tail. When her tail was finished he brushed her back, covered it with a blanket and stepped back, knowing that his master always preferred to saddle the mare himself.

Nails clawed at silk, tore at lace, split and bled unseen.

The stable was busier now as other horses, grooms and riders prepared for the day’s hunt. Harness clinking, leather gleaming in the lantern light, the air redolent of Neatsfoot oil and saddle soap.

Rustle of hay masking muffled scratchings.

Out in the yard the riders mount and muster. Stirrup cups are proffered and quaffed. James, handsome and glowing in his pink, signals to the Huntsman and the hounds are released from their holding pen. The hunt moves off. Horses in high-stepping anticipation, men and hounds listening for the ‘view halloo’ to echo back across the field.

Screams mingle with the baying of the hounds.

James leads the field. His companions stream out across the meadow, the Whipper-in keeps the hounds focused on their task as, tails high and noses down, they follow the scent, enjoying the pursuit. In the stables everyone is busy, all the stalls are to be cleaned and hay baskets refilled, tack oiled, and lanterns primed before the hunt returns.

In her coffin, buried deep beneath the manure heap, Angela claws and scratches and screams in vain.

Suddenly one of the stable lads ...

Computer crashed !

Nimuae. November 2011.

LSemmens - 19-11-2011 at 23:54

Here you go Nim:

Nim has set us a task of creating a short story or poem containing the words Bowl, Saddle, Pen, Nails, Computer and Lantern. Since I cannot think of anything at the moment, I am using this story as my submission! kewl_glasses

Nimuae - 20-11-2011 at 10:15

Quote:
Here you go Nim:

Nim has set us a task of creating a short story or poem containing the words Bowl, Saddle, Pen, Nails, Computer and Lantern. Since I cannot think of anything at the moment, I am using this story as my submission! kewl_glasses

Good - but sneaky !!waveysmiley:D

LSemmens - 20-11-2011 at 12:00

I wonder how often I can get away with it, before you call me on it?

giron - 20-11-2011 at 15:41

At least you made a bit of an effort Leigh. ;)

LSemmens - 22-11-2011 at 11:40

So, c'mon giron, join in the fun, Climb up on the SADDLE, light your LANTERN, and put your PEN to work, write something down, or, if you must, draw some words out of a BOWL, and arrange them in some form of sentence, using Nim's words as padding and see whast you come out with. It's got to be easier than using your COMPUTER to find ways to sharpen your NAILS!
nananana

Nimuae - 22-11-2011 at 11:45

Quote:
So, c'mon giron, join in the fun, Climb up on the SADDLE, light your LANTERN, and put your PEN to work, write something down, or, if you must, draw some words out of a BOWL, and arrange them in some form of sentence, using Nim's words as padding and see whast you come out with. It's got to be easier than using your COMPUTER to find ways to sharpen your NAILS!
nananana

Oho ... very clever, Leigh !!waveysmiley

marymary100 - 22-11-2011 at 20:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
How about this one then :-

Saddle up! Ride 'em cowboy!
Wrap your nails around the pen.
Release a lantern, fire up the computer.
Bowl your ball, but excel!

Nimuae - 22-11-2011 at 21:28

That is clever !

marymary100 - 22-11-2011 at 21:39

TY

LSemmens - 24-11-2011 at 01:55

Thank you Mary!