Karl`s PC Help Forums

Game of Thrones
Queen of Ra - 2-6-2011 at 12:38

Game of Thrones is a lavish fantasy epic tv show, based on the series of books of the same. Produced by HBO, they haven't stinted on the look, the costumes and the cast (incidentally made up mostly a British ensemble). Sean Bean and Mark Addy are the main characters but are ably supported.

Watching the first 6 eps has inspired me to purchase the first book, which I have.

Recommended. I expect it will be out on DVD at some point.

QOR

Nimuae - 2-6-2011 at 14:33

Not one that I would care to read then.

I wanted to watch it because Mark Addy is a friend and I know he had some concerns about making it. I turned it off after the first 10 minutes because the foul language.

Faolan - 2-6-2011 at 16:24

There are three main Epic Fantasy series currently that I'm aware of:

Wheel of Time - by the late Robert Jordan which takes a polarised viewpoint of male/female interaction and makes it surreal in some cases. This is the traditional 'safe' cosy fantasy most people are used to.

Then you have the Other Two. Sword of Truth and Game of Thrones, both series are Epic Fantasy. However these aren't your average fantasy books. They take a no holds barred viewpoint more akin to a horror book than a Tolkien fantasy.

Game of Thrones takes it a bit further than Sword of Truth, in that there is no real main character, there's no real Good or Evil plot (well there is sort of, but it's not as well defined as in most fantasy books) and he's got a disturbing way of looking at life. This is the medieval age brought to life again where life was cheap and morality was subjective on the threat of force.

The main problem with GoT isn't the fact it's no holds barred view to reality, it's that George Martin's glacial release rate that has angered a lot of fans. Especially due to missed release dates.

It'll be interesting to see how the adaptation of GoT handles the various torture/murder/rape scenes encountered in the books.

Queen of Ra - 3-6-2011 at 12:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae

I wanted to watch it because Mark Addy is a friend and I know he had some concerns about making it. I turned it off after the first 10 minutes because the foul language.

Well, for me, Mark Addy has so far put in an excellent performance and I very much look forward to catching the last few eps.

I love fantasy/sci fy both in literature and on the screen. The recent move to a more gritty representation of these stories has been a welcome injection of shock, surprise and humour. Bravo I say!

QOR

LSemmens - 3-6-2011 at 13:51

Sean Bean? I always wondered what Mr Bean's first name was. nananana

waffler - 4-6-2011 at 01:34

Quote:

Well now we all know :D

the bear - 4-6-2011 at 03:45

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by waffler

Well now we all know :D

Are you sure you've got the right Mr Bean

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 5-6-2011 at 14:49

Surely there's only room in this world for one Mr Bean!

Queen of Ra - 28-6-2011 at 08:04

OMG!

Just watched the season finale of Thrones - Fantastic! So didn't want it to end. Now have to wait ages for the next series, which will probably be this time next year.

I really enjoyed this show, two thumbs way up!

QOR