Karl`s PC Help Forums

The Public School 22 Fifth-grade Chorus
scholar - 11-6-2009 at 04:04

Here is the school chorus' link.

unmasked:
http://ps22chorus.blogspot.com/

I first typed http://www.ps22chorus.com, and it took me to the link spelled another way.

I invite others to post links to individual videos or sound files, if you wish, or articles, and comment.

When I have more time, I may add something.

I saw them on Nightline, an ABC news magazine show.

scholar - 12-6-2009 at 23:48

I thought I would get a lot of response on this one. These children are great!

Has anyone here listened to some of the singing clips?:D

Springer - 13-6-2009 at 07:34

I've looked at the ABC clip now :)
Wow, amazing that the teacher got those kids into something like that.
They are GREAT!

marymary100 - 13-6-2009 at 08:24

Keane I think they have sweet voices and are fortunate to have such an up to date enthusiastic teacher.
They move around a lot though so is that an American thing for choirs?
Ours either stay still or move in unison.

Lindley for example - you may recognise the tune.

And this year's winners Waringstown and you'll see how rigid ours are by comparison.

scholar - 13-6-2009 at 12:41

I've seen some American performance choirs move, and there is certainly a lot of movement in black gospel singing. I would guess that it feels natural for the young fifth graders to move with the beat, and their leader doesn't inhibit them from doing so.

But, is it American? I'm wondering--is it UK style or European to stand still as you sing? Perhaps all the rest of the world is inclined to move, it may not just be Yankees.

Perhaps one of our well-traveled members can tell us if they have observed choirs in Africa or Asia--do they stand still, or do they move with the music?

Leigh can tell us what is common in the Island Continent.

marymary100 - 13-6-2009 at 13:38

A Quantas ad implies that they are quite static in Australia except when performing orchestrated moves.

African children's choirs again seem to have quite orchestrated moves even though the appearance is much more lively.

LSemmens - 13-6-2009 at 13:47

It's an American thing, probably copied from the negros who seem to make all movement so fluid when performing.

scholar - 13-6-2009 at 15:18

Here is an example where the fish is not aware of the water.:D It seems completely natural to me to move with the music, when I am engaged in it. I would have thought that, to stay immobile, a person would need training to counter the natural tendancy. I would not have thought it to be an American trait.

marymary100 - 13-6-2009 at 15:41

A choir's quite a formal way of singing though - it's not singing in the field or in front of the mirror with a hairbrush. The movement should enhance the performance even when a solo performance, not detract from it imo.

Sister Act 1

Sister Act 2

Both of these links illustrate what I mean quite well I think as even the "impromptu" movement has been well rehearsed.