Karl`s PC Help Forums

Mike McGoldrick, Jonjo Kelly & Ed Boyd.
SRD - 9-10-2008 at 11:22

The Wiltshire Music Centre
8th October 2008

An excellent evening's music, based on the traditions of the British Isles, Brittany and the Balkans but with a majority of self-penned work.
Mike McGoldrick plays flutes and Uilleann pipes with elan and verve, he took up the mandolin and guitar for a couple of tunes and even sang!
Jonjo Kelly has to be one of the best exponents of the bodhran on the circuit, I'd loved to partner him with Adriano Adewale on the tambourine and watch the fireworks. He also plays the banjo and mandolin with competence.
Ed Boyd plays a variety of instruments but on the night he mainly stuck with the guitar although he also sang, slightly hesitantly but rather sweetly, and took up the pipes on one occasion.

Three excellent musicians, comfortable with each others performance, stirred even the somewhat staid WMC audience to whoops and extended applause. There is no doubting the musicians application, sweat ran from them as they coursed round the British Isles, across the channel to Northern France, dipping into the Balkans, New Zealand and the USA, but all the while maintaining their Celtic roots. Using family celebrations and memories of other musicians for their inspiration as well as the more usual themes of love and loss and many a dancing tune it was a great evening. They even found time to introduce a couple of local players who played a number each.

You don't just need to enjoy Celtic music, this is for all lovers of foot-tapping tunes, a definite recommendation.

For a sample of their style Click here although the fiddler was absent last night.

Dreamweaver - 9-10-2008 at 15:10

I have to say I do love this type of music, whether just sitting at the table with a cup of tea or doing housework,
Although my favourite is sitting in the garden with glass of wine or similar, just watching the evening pass by.

Thanks for the link SRD.

LSemmens - 10-10-2008 at 11:34

Can I sit with you DW, the music does sound good.

Dreamweaver - 10-10-2008 at 18:11

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Can I sit with you DW, the music does sound good.

Have you saved enough air miles yet Leigh :P

LSemmens - 11-10-2008 at 14:04

Nope! But I can dream.