Karl`s PC Help Forums

JFK files
marymary100 - 28-10-2017 at 13:35

Quote:

The US government has released 2,800 previously classified files related to the assassination of President John F Kennedy in November 1963.
As readers, historians and journalists comb through the thousands of pages of documents, here is what we have found so far.
FBI warned Dallas police of threat to kill Oswald
The FBI warned Dallas police of a death threat to Lee Harvey Oswald, according to a memo by director J Edgar Hoover, but the police failed to protect him.
“Last night we received a call in our Dallas office from a man talking in a calm voice and saying he was a member of a committee organized to kill Oswald,” Hoover wrote on 24 November 1963.
“We at once notified the chief of police and he assured us Oswald would be given sufficient protection. This morning we called the chief of police again warning of the possibility of some effort against Oswald and again he assured us adequate protection would be given.
“However, this was not done.”
Read the document.
USSR worried ‘irresponsible’ US could launch a missile
Soviet Union leaders considered Oswald a “neurotic maniac who was disloyal to his own country and everything else”, according to an FBI memo documenting reactions in the USSR to the assassination.
The Soviet officials feared a conspiracy was behind the death of Kennedy, perhaps organised by a rightwing coup or JFK’s successor Lyndon Johnson.
They also feared a war in the aftermath of Kennedy’s death:

Our source further stated that Soviet officials were fearful that without leadership, some irresponsible general in the United States might launch a missile at the Soviet Union.

Cuba reacted with ‘happy delight’
Cuban leader Fidel Castro told American lawmakers his country was not involved in the plot, when House investigators visited the island in 1978.
In 1963, however, the Cuban ambassador to the US reacted with “happy delight” to the murder, according to a CIA memo.

Oswald spoke to ‘member of KGB assassination unit’
According to an intercepted phone call in Mexico City, Oswald was at the Soviet embassy there on 28 September 1963 and spoke with the consul, Valeriy Vladimirovich Kostikov. Oswald later called the embassy on 1 October, identifying himself by name and speaking broken Russian, asking the guard who answered the phone whether there was “anything new concerning the telegram to Washington.”
The CIA memo calls Kostikov “an identified KGB officer” and a member of Department 13, a unit “responsible for sabotage and assassination”.

Guardian JFK

LSemmens - 28-10-2017 at 21:33

We'll have to wait a little longer for the rest of the stuff to be released. It appears that there will be way more questions than answers until they, too, can be examined.

Katzy - 29-10-2017 at 09:50

I doubt we'll ever know the truth. If there even is one truth.

What's the betting certain files have already been "accidentally" destroyed. Or, will be.

Nimuae - 29-10-2017 at 12:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I doubt we'll ever know the truth. If there even is one truth.

What's the betting certain files have already been "accidentally" destroyed. Or, will be.

Nothing would surprise me, Katzy.

JFK was horrible person from a corrupt family. He was drug user, a liar, a cheat and a man without any honour.

No doubt his memory will be 'protected' by the powers that be. Isn't that always the way with politicians.

JackInCT - 29-10-2017 at 12:36

It has been widely reported about Oswald that "The CIA intercepted a phone call from Lee Harvey Oswald to the KGB's department in charge of "sabotage and assassination" before Oswald murdered John F. Kennedy."

Well what I want to know is if the CIA at the time had the capability to intercept the call whether they also had the capability to get a copy of the KGB office of sabotage and assassination personnel evaluations. As an American taxpayer I feel that I have a right to know whether the KGB assassins were better at their jobs than the CIA assassins.

John_Little - 29-10-2017 at 13:59

Back then, wire taps had to be physical. None of your wireless malarky then. Are you not a Mad Magazine fan? Spy v Spy?

JackInCT - 29-10-2017 at 15:42

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Back then, wire taps had to be physical. None of your wireless malarky then

I'm not going to recall when I saw this pix, but at some point long ago there was a pix in a USA big time news magazine of the US embassy in Moscow with a 'farm' of microwave antennae all over it. I'm not going to remember what the article was that needed this pix, but it had something to do with electronic spying.

I attempted a Google search for this pix-no joy. I did get a number of hits re a kind of history of microwave tech spying in and by embassies (foreign and domestic). None that I bothered to read mentioned jamming of same by 'either side'.

AND I do recall news articles that these same eavesdropping tools are in use in countries that, supposedly, we are on good terms with, and I think that was from an 'unofficial' news article re the US embassy in Canada ['unofficial' in the sense that no one in the US govt would confirm or deny that was the purpose of those antenna].

John_Little - 29-10-2017 at 16:32

I don't know any way of intercepting a telephone call made over wires with antenna. Radio yes but not direct connections using wires.

John_Little - 29-10-2017 at 16:39

Mind you, cat detector cans can identify unlicenced pussies. I've never seen so many aerials!

JackInCT - 29-10-2017 at 16:49

Quote:
I don't know any way of intercepting a telephone call made over wires with antenna....

WHAT???? Don't you watch TV/go to the movies???? You mean to tell me that you don't make frequent forays to your front window to see if there's a non-descript van parked out in front of your residence.

Seriously: I understand that in the UK you need a 'license' to have a TV (don't know whether that's for over the air TV or cable/whatever). And if you don't have a license, the govt has a van of some sort that constantly patrols streets with the tech to detect anyone with a TV who does not have a license, and if you get caught..... I don't recall when I first heard about this, and it's certainly long ago, and probably outdated, but I thought that I would ask about it re the tech involved to pull something like that off.

Katzy - 29-10-2017 at 18:40

Quote:
Mind you, cat detector cans can identify unlicenced pussies. I've never seen so many aerials!

Especially happy cats. :D

My own feeling is that both brothers were fitted up and done for by their own... er... colleagues.

Just waiting, now, quite expecting another presidential assassination, to be honest.

John_Little - 29-10-2017 at 19:56

Join the queue!

marymary100 - 29-10-2017 at 20:13

living in a Chinese curse interesting times

JackInCT - 29-10-2017 at 22:42

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
living in a Chinese curse interesting times

From a wiki:
"May you live in interesting times" is an English expression purported to be a translation of a traditional Chinese curse. While seemingly a blessing, the expression is always used ironically, with the clear implication that 'uninteresting times', of peace and tranquility, are more life-enhancing than interesting ones, which from historical perspective usually include disorder and conflict.

Despite being so common in English as to be known as the "Chinese curse", the saying is apocryphal, and no actual Chinese source has ever been produced. The most likely connection to Chinese culture may be deduced from analysis of the late-19th century speeches of Joseph Chamberlain, probably erroneously transmitted and revised through his son Austen Chamberlain.

"so common in English"--Well it's not that common in the goode olde US of A where plagiarism is an art form (as well as poor spelling, punctuation, etc.,)--it is axiomatic to 'reinvent' the language than to take the trouble to learn it correctly. I suspect that much of the world for all the wrong reasons presume that GB English and USA English are virtually identical re lexicons, vernacular, idiomatic expressions, etc.,. Little do they know (or care to know).

LSemmens - 30-10-2017 at 04:15

THREAD DRIFT! My mother used to MOP. ;).