Karl`s PC Help Forums

Democrat shooter attacks Republicans preparing for charity event
scholar - 14-6-2017 at 18:07

Democrats and Republicans of the U.S. Congress field baseball teams to raise money for charity. At a time when the Republicans had the field, for their practice, a Democrat opened fire with an automatic rifle, followed by use of a pistol. He shot several people, two of whom were critical when I last checked. Security/police shot the attacker, and he died.

Link

If the number-three Republican leader in the House had not been there with his security detail, it could have been a bloodbath. Ordinary members of Congress without a leadership rank do not get personal government protection.

People on the sports field were quite vulnerable. There is no cover from gunfire. And, people who usually carry a gun would not do so in their practice clothes (no one wants a bad pitch to hit a gun, or to slide with a gun on the side of your leg).

Fortunately, one of our Republican military heroes who had served in a war zone medical situation was present to help with urgent care.

I have been reading tweets from jubilant Republican-haters who think the Republicans deserved whatever harm came their way.

scholar - 14-6-2017 at 18:33

One CNN link mentions the idea that congressmen should be permitted to carry a firearm. I wonder--does this mean there is presently a prohibition against it? Or, does it suggest that Congressmen should be able to carry one, without going through local requirements?

JackInCT - 14-6-2017 at 19:32

Labeling the shooter a democrat as in a card carrying member of the Democratic Party is ludicrous. He represents no one but himself, as in lone wolf. It's one thing to be a zealot re one's political philosophy, but to then take that to the level of becoming a self appointed assassin in broad daylight (where the odds of being caught, etc., are 100%) speaks to some sort of a deeply disturbed person filled with hatred/self-loathing that's been inside of him for quite some time.

It strikes me that all these various assassins rarely seek psychiatric help when the first impulses arise in them to commit murder. They must be in really deep denial that they have not become who they really are re trying to keep those impulses under control and using psychoactive medication to accomplish that.

scholar - 15-6-2017 at 08:18

What struck me about about the shooter, as a Democrat, is that he actually worked as a volunteer in the Bernie Sanders campaign and was an active voice on that side.

Bernie reacted immediately to denounce and condemn any such acts of violence. I think Sanders is an honorable, honest, sincere person, the direct opposite of Hillary Clinton in character.

LSemmens - 16-6-2017 at 02:00

Of course, no one would have been shot had gun ownership been way more difficult.

marymary100 - 16-6-2017 at 06:17

Now now, it's not as if a trigger happy, gun-owning American has ever happened before...No wait...

JackInCT - 16-6-2017 at 13:25

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Of course, no one would have been shot had gun ownership been way more difficult.

Oh yeah, if it were more difficult, it would be as difficult as buying illegal drugs, and of course we all know how really hard that is to do after decades and billions of dollars spent by the govt trying to stop it.

scholar - 16-6-2017 at 14:11

Quote:

Because no one who is intent on murder would have disobeyed gun ownership restrictions?

Rubbish!

Crimes are committed with illegal weapons every day.

And, people who wish to commit murder are often willing to lie <gasp>, in order to get a gun.

scholar - 16-6-2017 at 17:11

Quote:

Do you prefer an explosion, instead?

LSemmens - 17-6-2017 at 06:53

Actually, if gun ownership were less common, then gun crime also becomes less common. A Criminal who is looking to rob a store may not feel the need to shoot the owner if he is less likely to be shot for looking sideways. You also don't have someone who is having a bad hair day suddenly deciding that "today would be a good day to die" and take out a classroom or six with him. Of course criminals who want to get illegal weapons will still get them. However, if they think that they might get shot in their crime, they are more likely to use them. Strangely enough, criminals do have guns here, yet I still feel safe walking down the main street of downtown without the thought that I might get mugged and shot in the process.

A quick google produced this result

scholar - 17-6-2017 at 16:00

Quote:
However, if they think that they might get shot in their crime, they are more likely to use them. [/url]

Generally, if they think they are more likely to get shot in their crime, the criminals are less likely to do the crime. Nobody says, "I want the money. I think I'll get shot if I try to take it. Hmmmm. It's worth it!"

Of course, suicide terrorists, murder-suicide people, and people with some kinds of mental illness are exceptions to the common criminal rule.

marymary100 - 17-6-2017 at 16:51

I miss RW.

LSemmens - 18-6-2017 at 07:02

Criminals are not that "rational", scholar. They think more along the lines of I won't get caught and if I might get shot, then I'd best be prepared.

LSemmens - 18-6-2017 at 07:03

And, yes, Mary, I miss RW too.

Badgergirl - 25-6-2017 at 11:47

Has RW gone from KF?

I see him on Facebook so I guess I hadn't noticed he was missing from KF.

marymary100 - 25-6-2017 at 12:11

I see him on FB too. I think the Red/Blue scenario got him down and Trump getting in must have been hard to take.

Nimuae - 25-6-2017 at 12:44

Quote:
Actually, if gun ownership were less common, then gun crime also becomes less common. A Criminal who is looking to rob a store may not feel the need to shoot the owner if he is less likely to be shot for looking sideways. You also don't have someone who is having a bad hair day suddenly deciding that "today would be a good day to die" and take out a classroom or six with him. Of course criminals who want to get illegal weapons will still get them. However, if they think that they might get shot in their crime, they are more likely to use them. Strangely enough, criminals do have guns here, yet I still feel safe walking down the main street of downtown without the thought that I might get mugged and shot in the process.

That is common sense, Leigh, something that appears to be in short supply in america.

LSemmens - 26-6-2017 at 01:54

The problem, Nim, is that there is no such thing a "common" sense. In fact it seems to be really Uncommon. :D