Karl`s PC Help Forums

Musical.ly, The Most Popular App You'Ve Probably Never Heard Of
JackInCT - 18-9-2016 at 23:00

Musical.ly, The Most Popular App You'Ve Probably Never Heard Of

Its claim to fame? It's a musical social networking phenomena that attracts teenagers.

For those of you who are new to Musical.ly (Yes, that's the domain name), I call your attn to the line that reads, "10 million people use the app daily and produce around the same number of videos every single day"; YouTube move over!!!!

Business Insider Website, Tech Section, May, 2016; Musical.ly has its own website, and a Wiki

Unless you live with a teenager, you've probably never heard of Musical.ly [Me here: No, I hadn't heard of it until today].

If you do, then you've probably already appeared in one of your kid's music videos.

The DIY music-video app first came on the scene in 2014, but exploded to the top of the App Store charts last summer. It hasn't fallen below the top 40 since. Often, it's swapping top places in the app store with Snapchat and Instagram.

The 15-second videos are typically people lip-syncing or dancing to some of the top hits. More recently, Musical.ly stars have started launching their own careers, and traditional music stars, like Jason DeRulo, are now pledging to debut their videos on the platform first, a coup over YouTube.

Today, more than 10 million people use the app daily and produce around the same number of videos every single day. All in, 70 million people have registered as Musical.ly users, says its cofounder and co-CEO Alex Zhu.

While the music videos have drawn people to the app, Zhu knows that's not why they stay. He's building Musical.ly to be the next social network — one based on videos that only entertain people and keep them coming back.

"Today the very proposition of the app is not about creating music videos. It’s not about lip-syncing. It’s about a social network," Zhu said. "It’s a community. People want to stay because there are other people. "

LSemmens - 19-9-2016 at 01:26

What about an app called RL????? confused2 You know... go out and actually TALK to someone.......confused2

marymary100 - 19-9-2016 at 08:12

Now people older than teens have heard of it, it will die a death in the original demographic. Generation Z leave as soon as their parents/grandparents join anything.

John_Little - 19-9-2016 at 08:32

So, how did you hear of it, Jack? Or were you lying about your age?;)

JackInCT - 19-9-2016 at 13:25

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
So, how did you hear of it, Jack? Or were you lying about your age?;)

OK Sherlock, you caught me; I will come out with my hands up!!!

I actually heard of it on the NY Times RSS feed, and was taken in by the article title, not to mention very curious re the "ly" domain not having ever heard of that domain before, i. e., what, if any, difference there is between "ly" and the rest of the suffices [that's a work inprogress].

I've decided to post much of the NY Times article in an separate, addendum reply since to my aged mind, I'm quite worried that, according to the Times article, children at the very earliest grades in grammar school are involved.

Part of my grave concern re the social networking phenomena is that young children in my part of town, while they will play 'on the street', will not venture to any of the local parks after school due to the parks being a dangerous environ, i. e., even if an adult were to accompany them, they could face danger---a far, far cry from what life was like when I was growing up when I roamed ALL of the town at will after school. I have to wonder if crime creeps in to what youngsters in this age do, although I'm sure that there are still plenty of places in the USA where this crime factor doesn't affect their behavior choices.

JackInCT - 19-9-2016 at 13:33

NY Times 09/19/16
In the folklore of the start-up world, few figures loom larger than the teenager. Teenagers see the future, set trends and spend money, or compel parents to spend it for them. Their behavior has become an obsession for entrepreneurs.

This would seem to bode well for Musical.ly, an app that is young in every sense of the word. The Shanghai-based company founded in 2014 claims over 100 million users, most of whom, the company says, are in the 13-20 age bracket. In August, the company teamed up with MTV for a promotion tied to the Video Music Awards.

What is striking about the app, though, is how many of its users appear to be even younger than that. Musical.ly hasn’t just found the coveted teenage audience — it may have gone lower. And it points to a growing tension between younger users, technology companies, and the norms and laws that regulate them both.

The app encourages a youthful audience in subtle and obvious ways. It lets users create short videos in which they can lip-sync, dance or goof around to popular songs, movie scenes and other audio sources, and then post the videos to an Instagram-style feed. Its featured feed includes stars popular with young listeners, including Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez, as well as lesser-known talent and social media personalities who have crossed over from services like Vine. And its tool for posting videos includes an entire category for songs from Disney films and TV shows.

The app does not collect or show the age of its users, but some of its top-ranked users, whose posts routinely collect millions of likes, called hearts, appear from their videos and profile photos to be in grade school. Until recently, the app had a feature that suggested users to follow based on their location. In New York, that feature revealed a list composed largely not just of teenagers, but of children.

“This is no question the youngest social network we’ve ever seen,” said Gary Vaynerchuk, the chief executive of VaynerMedia, an advertising agency that focuses on social media. Mr. Vaynerchuk, who has helped clients produce campaigns for the platform, said he first spotted the app in the iTunes App Store charts, and through Musical.ly videos reposted to other services like Instagram.

“I would say that Snapchat and Instagram, they skew a little bit young,” he said. But with Musical.ly, “you’re talking about first, second, third grade.”

Me Here: some of the comments sections in other sites articles about this service speak to, from parents re anecdotal incidents, that the predator crowd has already struck.

I've never ever seen an article that reports how many parents have implemented an outright ban on their children's participating in any social networking sites---talk about playing with fire!!!!

LSemmens - 19-9-2016 at 23:34

I'm not surprised at any of the information in said article. I'd consider the 7 - 10 Y.O. would absolutely Luuuurve this sort of thing. Given that demographic, I'm not surprised that there are predators who prowl that neighbourhood. Also, I also find it sad that kids are robbed of a life, because they can no longer be allowed to roam all over the neighbourhood as in our youth. It makes me wonder what the next generation is going to produce, given that our kids and grand-kids tend to be attached to a screen all day.

JackInCT - 20-9-2016 at 01:22

A visit to the musical.ly website will give you a hit with, literally, just one (1) webpage which includes ONLY the links to the 3 apps that are needed to "participate" [Apple, Android, & Amazon.com]; there is NOTHING else on the webpage to include any demos, etc.,.

A visit to YouTube, and the "musical.ly" as the search words, will give you multiple hits to include compilation videos of varying lengths of what would appear if you had the app loaded.

Obviously some musical.ly end users are not satisfied with uploading to it, but feel obligated to upload the same video to YouTube as well--talk about covering your bases.

Yes, I did watch several, and yes the age (or lack thereof) of the "participants" does stand out as a common denominator to include youths spending small fortunes on costuming/props.

My visual, performing arts critic mode has drawn the following critique/conclusions:

To "make it big-time" on Musical.ly, a "presenter/performer" must have, at a bare minimum, these 3 characteristics, (1) be strikingly bold or brilliant & showy, (2) be conspicuously dashing and colorful, & (3) be florid (synonym: fancy), ornate, & elaborately styled/be capable of executing well choreographed moves. Visually, obvious charisma would be a big plus.

Having said that, it is intuitively obvious to me that ALL the posters on this board have such qualities in abundance--just saying!!