How do you know you're real?
marymary100 - 19-7-2015 at 00:30

Prove it, if you can.

John Barnes - 19-7-2015 at 08:19

Renee Descartes eliminated that question ages ago. jmb

marymary100 - 19-7-2015 at 09:30

Only for himself John. ;)

John Barnes - 19-7-2015 at 14:21

Not so Mary, IMO he was generalising as his statement could refer to any sentient being.
Unless we are composed of pixel's in a holographic matrix ? and are unaware of it.

scholar - 19-7-2015 at 18:09

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Renee Descartes eliminated that question ages ago. jmb

I agree.

When I consider whether I exist, there must be an I, to even consider the question.

victor - 19-7-2015 at 21:40

I think therefore I am.

John Barnes - 19-7-2015 at 22:18

Mary answered that victor by saying Descartes singularised that statement to himself, not to others

LSemmens - 20-7-2015 at 00:22

And Victor has singularised that statement to himself, too. As have I.

marymary100 - 20-7-2015 at 00:55

Nietzsche took issue with Descartes's theory. He spoke about authentic existence and argued that we are unable to prove that what we think about ourselves and others is accurate. How do you know, for example, that you are not dreaming when you think you are awake? At any one moment it may be a Matrix-type experience you are having. How do you know it is an authentic one?

delanti - 20-7-2015 at 01:27

If I am not real who is posting under my name?confused2

Nimuae - 20-7-2015 at 05:36

My cats let me know that I am real - every time their food dishes are empty !waveysmiley

Katzy - 20-7-2015 at 09:15

Same, here, Nim!

Either that, or they have deranged imaginations.

This kinda thing has always made me think that, should I ever get fingered, for speeding, I merely have to say, in my defence, "My speed with relation to what?".

They'd probably take great joy from giving me the maximum sentence available, though. lips_sealed

Nimuae - 20-7-2015 at 10:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Same, here, Nim!

Either that, or they have deranged imaginations.

And, if I ignore them, they prove they are real by digging their claws in !

victor - 20-7-2015 at 13:48

As the merchant said
"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?"
So if the opposite to death is life, then surely I exist in life.

Katzy - 20-7-2015 at 15:04

Quote:
Originally posted by NimuaeAnd, if I ignore them, they prove they are real by digging their claws in !

Ours just make quacking noises, very loudly...

scholar - 21-7-2015 at 01:00

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Nietzsche took issue with Descartes's theory. He spoke about authentic existence and argued that we are unable to prove that what we think about ourselves and others is accurate. How do you know, for example, that you are not dreaming when you think you are awake? At any one moment it may be a Matrix-type experience you are having. How do you know it is an authentic one?

Descartes is right in affirming that the one who considers whether he exists must exist, since he must first exist to think.

Something is true (I prefer that, rather than "authentic") if that which is matches the truth-claim.

LSemmens - 21-7-2015 at 01:23

We must be real, Mary, otherwise, you'd not have asked of us, this question.

John Barnes - 21-7-2015 at 05:33

Unless some cosmic computer (matrix style)
had implanted the thought into a set of collective minds, yours included by reading Mary's stimulus

Katzy - 21-7-2015 at 10:52

Or she's weird.

Now... That has something going, for it, that... [bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/giggle.gif[/bad img]

JackInCT - 21-7-2015 at 13:40

Would it really matter if we weren't?????

marymary100 - 21-7-2015 at 14:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Or she's weird.

Now... That has something going, for it, that... [bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/giggle.gif[/bad img]

Proud to be different...:D

waffler - 21-7-2015 at 18:32

I must be real cuz I keep getting BILLS :D

the bear - 21-7-2015 at 22:13

Quote:
Prove it, if you can.

My dad confirmed I was real when he declared that I wasn't born as I was quarried. shocked_yellow

Regards the Bear

waveysmiley

Katzy - 22-7-2015 at 09:45

Quote:

Proud to be different...:D

It's the only way to fly, MM. :D

"Normal" is boring.

JackInCT - 23-7-2015 at 17:54

I, for one, am absolutely sure that I am 'for real', otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here, and being extremely busy at that, trying to count the number of angels that are dancing on the head of the pin that I am holding.

Does anyone have any idea just how hard it is to accurately count all of them while they are merrily dancing about??? The least they could do is to stop for a few moments while I take a census.

Presuming that anyone, including angels, are in a state of bliss doing something as invigorating as dancing, I will concede that they are quite happy with their lot. I certainly have never had the experience of hearing any of them asking among themselves to prove that they are for real.

This, IF I recall from Logic 101, is an appeal to a higher authority rationale as a proof. Yes, I will concede that angels are intellectually superior to everyone that has posted to this topic.

LSemmens - 24-7-2015 at 04:03

Yourself included, Jack. ;):D

John_Little - 24-7-2015 at 10:05

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
I think therefore I am.

I think therefore I'm sober.