Karl`s PC Help Forums

'tis a conundrum
marymary100 - 16-7-2013 at 16:34

You buy a couch from a charity shop and when cleaning it find a wad of cash. Do you:

a) save the money
b) spend the money
c) try to find out from the charity shop where the couch came from
d) give an anonymous donation to the charity of some of the cash?

giron - 16-7-2013 at 17:52

If you feel guilty about keeping the money simply give it to me, every little helps, you know it makes sense. teacher_mode

Katzy - 16-7-2013 at 19:18

Probably, a bit of each of a, b and d.

scholar - 16-7-2013 at 21:24

Based on the picture, I'm wondering about what seems to be a real-life situation on which the question is based!shocked_yellow

I see the money appears to be American dollars. . .

In the absence of any additional information, I would be inclined to keep the money. I am supposing it was originally placed there by someone other than the person who donated the couch (or, they would have removed it themselves).

marymary100 - 16-7-2013 at 21:27

Someone has allegedly found the money in a couch they got from Good Will. The photo was what the person who posted the story used as "proof".

victor - 16-7-2013 at 23:10

Finders keepers.

LSemmens - 17-7-2013 at 00:47

The goodwill store would most likely have no idea who has donated the couch so the best course of action would be to take it to the police and hand it in as money found. In most jurisdictions, AFAIA, the law of "finders keepers" applies only after a reasonable attempt at finding the rightful owner has been made. After a period of time, (12 months, I think) you can actually claim the windfall as yours and the constabulary must return it.

From the piccy, the serial numbers on the notes would give some indication of how long the cash may have been there which would then give some indication of whether the owner is likely to be found, or not.

Nimuae - 17-7-2013 at 06:11

Good thinking, Leigh.

marymary100 - 17-7-2013 at 08:49

I would worry that an elderly person had lost their savings and would find it hard to keep it even if I had found it.

grayles - 17-7-2013 at 11:11

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
The goodwill store would most likely have no idea who has donated the couch so the best course of action would be to take it to the police and hand it in as money found. In most jurisdictions, AFAIA, the law of "finders keepers" applies only after a reasonable attempt at finding the rightful owner has been made. After a period of time, (12 months, I think) you can actually claim the windfall as yours and the constabulary must return it.

Not sure if it the same elsewhere but the charity shop I give to get you to register with them so they can claim tax back. With this information they also send me an email every so often telling me how much the items I have donated have been sold for. So I expect from there they would know exactly who had donated the sofa.
As for the windfall as far as I am concerned if I have paid for something it is mine and take the good with the bad. The only time I would return it would be if the donator realised their mistake and contacted the shop. My donation next month might be a bit more generous though.

marymary100 - 17-7-2013 at 11:28

When I was in Primary 1 my teacher Mrs Irvine told us that she had discovered some 1 notes on the ground and taken them to the Police station. When she got there a pensioner who had just taken out her entire week's money was in the Police station sobbing because she had lost her money. The story kind of stuck with me.

My friend works for a charity shop and according to her they write down what was donated and by whom in case there ever are any queries. I would imagine that money in suit pockets, hidden in CD boxes and down the side of sofas isn't that unusual.

LSemmens - 18-7-2013 at 02:10

No, it is not that unusual, my mother used to work in the Salvation Army "packing sheds" where they sort the donations for their various shops. In those days, and AFAIK in OZ, they still do not record where such donations come from.

scholar - 19-7-2013 at 23:54

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
From the piccy, the serial numbers on the notes would give some indication of how long the cash may have been there

The DATES on the notes would do that, too.

(We Yankees tend to go direct to take the simple, more direct path. . .):D:P:P

waffler - 20-7-2013 at 00:00

We take stuff to the Goodwill and leave on doorstep if closed .