Karl`s PC Help Forums

Where are you from?
Redwolf5150 - 13-6-2008 at 12:44

In an attempt to give all members a true feeling of how international this board is, I am starting this poll to show where everyone is from.

scholar - 13-6-2008 at 12:47

I was born in the United States at a very young age. . . .:D:D:D:D

the bear - 13-6-2008 at 13:00

Born in village on the Wirral ( Cheshire ). That makes me English although my ancesters come frome Scotland. Greatgrandfather emigrated south from the highlands Circa 1860. The family clan is a sept of the Farqharson clan.

Regards the Bear

SRD - 13-6-2008 at 13:08

Technically I voted English, as being what was available and accurate, but actually I consider myself British, partly because of my roots and partly because I understand the tremendous input and influence that the other members of the union have made to my nation.

Redwolf5150 - 13-6-2008 at 16:30

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Technically I voted English, as being what was available and accurate, but actually I consider myself British, partly because of my roots and partly because I understand the tremendous input and influence that the other members of the union have made to my nation.

British, however, can't be found on the map.

I started this as a way to show some people on here why a steady does of items of a limited geographical appeal isn't a good idea.
:D

Dreamweaver - 13-6-2008 at 16:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD

United Kingdom is however, much the same as the U.S.A :P

John Barnes - 13-6-2008 at 16:40

Born in England and probably die here. I have lived abroad in a variety of countries both Asia .Africa and Europe but England is my home .jmb

Redwolf5150 - 13-6-2008 at 16:47

Any chance of one of the Mods stickying this to the top for a while?

kewl_glasses

John_Little - 13-6-2008 at 17:18

I voted English because I figured they needed the support. but I'm really a European

the bear - 13-6-2008 at 17:30

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I voted English because I figured they needed the support. but I'm really a European

Isnt that some sort of mongrel, like the Seat car.

Regards the Bear

Dreamweaver - 13-6-2008 at 17:59

Quote:
Any chance of one of the Mods stickying this to the top for a while?

kewl_glasses

Done.

marymary100 - 13-6-2008 at 18:11

Glasgow, Scotland

shywitch - 13-6-2008 at 18:39

Born in Toronto (Canada) and raised in the backwoods of Ontario... but I have lived in England for many years now.

John Barnes - 13-6-2008 at 22:24

I some times wonder from where Kourosh comes from I always imagine Turkey or Greece, bet I am totally wrong he may hail from Dagenham for all I know, jmb

scholar - 13-6-2008 at 22:53

Quote:
Originally posted by shywitch
raised in the backwoods of Ontario...
Raised in the woods!shocked_yellow

Have you ever really gotten used to indoor life?

I know a man who claims he taught his Texas wife to wear shoes and use silverware. :D

SRD - 14-6-2008 at 07:11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD

I started this as a way to show some people on here why a steady does of items of a limited geographical appeal isn't a good idea.
But Britain can be, as can the UK (as janet has said). England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are bureaucratic areas, not countries, in the same way that you have States called Ohio, Florida, etc. but you wouldn't call them countries although you can find them on the map.

the bear - 14-6-2008 at 07:34

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD

But Britain can be, as can the UK (as janet has said). England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are bureaucratic areas, not countries, in the same way that you have States called Ohio, Florida, etc. but you wouldn't call them countries although you can find them on the map.

With the greatest respect Simon tell that to a Welsh speaking " Son of Owain Glyndwr"

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 14-6-2008 at 09:12

Scotland was a country in the past and will possibly be a country again. They allowed me to put Scotland on my last-but-one passport but the current one is confined to "United Kingdom". I'm ok with either but will not tolerate being told I live in England.

the bear - 14-6-2008 at 11:14

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Scotland was a country in the past and will possibly be a country again. They allowed me to put Scotland on my last-but-one passport but the current one is confined to "United Kingdom". I'm ok with either but will not tolerate being told I live in England.

As I sit here on the PC I wish I was passing you door in Glasgow on the way to Loch Lomond, the Western Isles, or Callender and the Trossacks.
When we travel north we often break our journey at a travel lodge near Dumbarton

Happy Days waveysmiley

Best regards, the Bear

Badgergirl - 14-6-2008 at 12:53

I was born and raised in England, but my Grandmother is a through and through Welshwoman.
I consider myself English first, British Second.

I Don't consider myself to be European at all.

SRD - 14-6-2008 at 13:23

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SRD

With the greatest respect Simon tell that to a Welsh speaking " Son of Owain Glyndwr"

Regards the Bear
There are plenty of people who hark back to a non-existent past, that doesn't legitimise their opinions.

janet - 14-6-2008 at 13:56

See, the thing is, I was *born* in the US - Hoosier bred and born, though I lived in Texas and California.

But I'm a British citizen as well as a US one - I'm not English but I *am* British, and I've lived here half my life, now - with a sojourn in Italy between the US and the UK.

So I've not filled in the poll - because where I'm *from* and where I live now and where my interest lies, are not the same. :}

marymary100 - 14-6-2008 at 14:33

It's simpler than that imo. Where you're from is where you were born. Where you are might be the sum of your parts and your journey to get there but that is not what the question asked.

scholar - 14-6-2008 at 14:50

Different questions:

Where are you from (now)?

Where are you from (originally)?

Where were you raised?

Depending on your life and heart, one of these will be the answer to, "Where is home, to you?" :D

janet - 14-6-2008 at 14:56

Quote:
It's simpler than that imo. Where you're from is where you were born. Where you are might be the sum of your parts and your journey to get there but that is not what the question asked.

Yes - but in considering some of the other threads on the forums at the moment, about interests, I chose to take it slightly more broadly. I have little to no interest in the politics of where I'm *from* (at least in the specific sense of state politics) and a reasonable amount in the politics of where I live now. :)

marymary100 - 14-6-2008 at 14:58

Where you are from, in Scotland at least, would be interpreted as where you were from originally.

"Where do you live?" would be more accurate a question if someone wanted up to date information.

janet - 14-6-2008 at 16:49

I know. :)

KOUROSH - 14-6-2008 at 17:47

what a nice thread smokin:
i was born in city of Kermanshan, a historic town in western part of Iran Close to Iraq border, my father was Kurdish and my mother Persian, came to UK when i just eighteen and have lived in Walsall the famous black country, Birmingham and London, well to be honest i see myself part of this planet no matter where i go, i tend to mix with locals no matter what they may think of me. happy go lucky

John Barnes - 14-6-2008 at 19:11

I was only about 1500 miles then as I thought Turkey. jmb

shywitch - 14-6-2008 at 19:41

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

I know a man who claims he taught his Texas wife to wear shoes and use silverware. :D

LOL... Yes.. I'm used to indoor life now, Scholar... but I miss the trees.

scholar - 14-6-2008 at 19:53

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

shocked_yellowshocked_yellow You lived in the trees????!!shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

:D:P:D:P:D:P:Pwaveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 14-6-2008 at 20:14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

shocked_yellowshocked_yellow You lived in the trees????!!shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

:D:P:D:P:D:P:Pwaveysmiley

Go hijack one of your own threads!

waggyfinger

scholar - 14-6-2008 at 20:29

I did not mean to distress you, Redwolf. I, for my part, have participated in both the poll and the discussion of the meaning of "Where are you from?"waveysmiley

victor - 14-6-2008 at 22:03

Born in an off-license in a little village on the outskirts of Rugby then lived in Rugby for a couple of years before buying my own property 40 years ago in another little village not 5 miles from where I was born.
You could say I am not greatly travelled but I still enjoy a pint or two of bitter. ;)

TooCute4Words - 14-6-2008 at 22:45

Englands green and pleasant land is where I reside and where I was born and where I shall stay until I die :)

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

the bear - 14-6-2008 at 23:39

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
Born in an off-license in a little village on the outskirts of Rugby then lived in Rugby for a couple of years before buying my own property 40 years ago in another little village not 5 miles from where I was born.
You could say I am not greatly travelled but I still enjoy a pint or two of bitter. ;)

Man of the Midlands eh

Regards the Bear

KOUROSH - 15-6-2008 at 06:32

John Barns, to be honest not a bad shot, you were the closest from the lot, shocked_yellow

Daz - 15-6-2008 at 22:18

Glorious Devon, England.

Born in the four bedroom house my parents still live in...

KOUROSH - 16-6-2008 at 16:44

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH
what a nice thread smokin:
i was born in city of Kermanshan, a historic town in western part of Iran Close to Iraq border, my father was Kurdish and my mother Persian, came to UK when i just eighteen and have lived in Walsall the famous black country, Birmingham and London, well to be honest i see myself part of this planet no matter where i go, i tend to mix with locals no matter what they may think of me. happy go lucky

you might see it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermanshah

KOUROSH - 16-6-2008 at 16:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Glorious Devon, England.

Is that why you are so bright DAZ

Daz - 16-6-2008 at 17:05

Not sure TBH, I usually get called Dim round these parts.... :D

KOUROSH - 16-6-2008 at 18:42

if that is the case i think they must have their DIM lights on and that is why they can not see the brightness in you shocked

Badgergirl - 16-6-2008 at 18:49

Quote:

So my J is German, even though he doesn't remember the place and that's just where his Mum happened to be while pregnant?

Badgergirl - 16-6-2008 at 18:52

Born-Carlisle
Lived-Carlisle
Moved-Bangor (Wales)
Moved back-Carlisle!

Same house in Carlisle all my short life!

Redwolf5150 - 16-6-2008 at 21:18

Born Louisville, KY
Moved to Vincennes, IN at age 3
Left for Ft. Knox, KY at age 18 in June 77
Transfered to Ft. Benning, GA in July 77
Stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI in Sept. 77 until Dec. 1980
While there, visited Korea (twice), Australia, New Zealand, Guam, Phillipeans, Eniwetok Atoll and Japan.
Stationed Ft. Campbell, KY Jan. 1980 until Sept. 82.
While there "visited" El Salvador, Panama. Also went to Ranger Training Center Jungle Course in Florida (Twice, once as a Photographer), Ft. Bragg, N.C. Spent a couple weeks in Colorado and California while there, too.
Lived in Clarksville, TN from Sept. 82 until June 1985. Several trips to New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and D.C. while there.
Lived in Jeffersonville, IN (across Ohio River from Louisville) June until August 1985.
Lived in Kalamazoo, MI from August 1985 until Sept. 1993. Couple trips to Canada early in stay, two trips by car from there to Idaho and back, hitting many states along the way. ALSO a resident bleacher bum at Wrigley Field for three seasons the first three years we lived there.
Lived in Portage, MI from Sept. 1993 until Dec. 1996
Lived in Niles, MI from Jan. 1997 to October 2000
Lived in Kokomo, IN from October 2000 until Sept. 2002
Lived in Wausau, WI from Sept. 2002 until Sept. 2003
Lived in Rothschild, WI from Sept 2003 until Aug. 2004
Lived in Merrill, WI from Sept. 2004 until present.

Been a tumbleweed most of my life.

Redwolf5150 - 16-6-2008 at 21:22

Quote:
I did not mean to distress you, Redwolf. I, for my part, have participated in both the poll and the discussion of the meaning of "Where are you from?"waveysmiley

I would not call your "humorous" posts "contributions."

waggyfinger

marymary100 - 16-6-2008 at 21:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:

So my J is German, even though he doesn't remember the place and that's just where his Mum happened to be while pregnant?
Yes - and presumably German citizenship would be a possibility if he wanted it.

My daughter was conceived in the US and I was pregnant in Iraq but I pulled out all the stops to return to the UK to give birth.

Redwolf5150 - 16-6-2008 at 23:53

I forgot one thing in the Clarksville listing.

I spent one December break from college visiting my ex-wife in Germany.

I'd like to go back and go to Berlin. When I went it was back when there was still "two" Germanies.

Berlin, London, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Russia and a few other European cities are on my list of places I want to go to still. Beijing and Havana are also on my "to go to" list.

(Actually, I'd love to spend a summer just kicking around Great Britian hitting all the countries)

kewl_glasses

SRD - 17-6-2008 at 06:45

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:

Yes - and presumably German citizenship would be a possibility if he wanted it.

My daughter was conceived in the US and I was pregnant in Iraq but I pulled out all the stops to return to the UK to give birth.
Would it not have made more sense to leave the stops in? :D

the bear - 17-6-2008 at 06:49

Quote:
Born Louisville, KY
Moved to Vincennes, IN at age 3
Left for Ft. Knox, KY at age 18 in June 77
Transfered to Ft. Benning, GA in July 77
Stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI in Sept. 77 until Dec. 1980
While there, visited Korea (twice), Australia, New Zealand, Guam, Phillipeans, Eniwetok Atoll and Japan.
Stationed Ft. Campbell, KY Jan. 1980 until Sept. 82.
While there "visited" El Salvador, Panama. Also went to Ranger Training Center Jungle Course in Florida (Twice, once as a Photographer), Ft. Bragg, N.C. Spent a couple weeks in Colorado and California while there, too.
Lived in Clarksville, TN from Sept. 82 until June 1985. Several trips to New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and D.C. while there.
Lived in Jeffersonville, IN (across Ohio River from Louisville) June until August 1985.
Lived in Kalamazoo, MI from August 1985 until Sept. 1993. Couple trips to Canada early in stay, two trips by car from there to Idaho and back, hitting many states along the way. ALSO a resident bleacher bum at Wrigley Field for three seasons the first three years we lived there.
Lived in Portage, MI from Sept. 1993 until Dec. 1996
Lived in Niles, MI from Jan. 1997 to October 2000
Lived in Kokomo, IN from October 2000 until Sept. 2002
Lived in Wausau, WI from Sept. 2002 until Sept. 2003
Lived in Rothschild, WI from Sept 2003 until Aug. 2004
Lived in Merrill, WI from Sept. 2004 until present.

Been a tumbleweed most of my life.

So your from Louiseville originally?

Regards the Bear

SRD - 17-6-2008 at 07:04

Time for a song:

When first I came to Louisville
Some pleasure there to find
I met a maid from Lexington
Whose beauty filled my mind.
Her rosy cheeks her ruby lips
Like arrows pierced my breast
And the name she bore was Flora, the lily of the west.

I courted lovely Flora
She promised ne'er to go.
But she turned unto another man
Which filled my heart with woe.
She robbed me of my liberty,
deprived me of my rest..
Then go you faithless Flora, the lily of the west

I stepped up to my rival
My dagger in my hand
I seized him by the collar
And I boldly bade him stand.
All in my desperation
I pierced him in the breast
I killed a man for Flora, the lily of the west.

I had to stand my trial
I had to make my plea
They placed me in the prisoners box
And then commenced on me
Although she swore my life away
Deprived me of my rest
Still I love my faithless Flora, the lily of the west.

BobbyKatLittleCub - 9-11-2008 at 08:02

Where are you from (now)? I live in Kankakee, Illinois

Where are you from (originally)? Rhode Island

Where were you raised? Rhode Island first and Illinois second.

Where would I like to be? Right back by the Atlantic Ocean!

the bear - 9-11-2008 at 08:10

Coming to you from a cave on the banks of the river Mersey Engand.

Brought up in a country village not to far away.

Lived in various places up and down the British Isles.

Family roots are in the Highlands of Scotland.

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 9-11-2008 at 12:14

Born in Adelaide South OZ, lived there until I moved to Darwin Northern Territory, for work, (lived there longer than in South OZ, but that is about to change.) Returned to South OZ when I retired in 2003.

Swish Checkley - 10-11-2008 at 11:37

I find the 'where are you from?' question very difficult to answer in terms of towns though in terms of countries it's easy. I was born in England and have always lived in England.

Quote:
Where are you from (now)?

I live in the East Midlands and have been here for almost 11 years. I have put down my roots here and hope to grow old here. But I don't consider myself to be 'from' here.

Quote:
Where are you from (originally)?

I was born in Bedfordshire. I left when I was very young and I don't any connection with the place.

Quote:
Where were you raised?

I spent most of my childhood on the border between Greater Manchester and Lancashire, on the edge of the Pennines near Bolton. As long as my Dad still lives there it will feel 'home' for me though my actual home is not there any more.

I've also lived in a couple of other places but not places I'd say I was 'from'.

LSemmens - 10-11-2008 at 11:53

Home is where the heart is!

When first I returned to South OZ, I would have said that th Northern Territory was my Home. As I've become involved in my new (5 years) home, this has now become my Home with the Territory as where I am "From" despite being born and raised in South OZ, although a different part.

the bear - 11-11-2008 at 10:56

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Home is where the heart is!

When first I returned to South OZ, I would have said that th Northern Territory was my Home. As I've become involved in my new (5 years) home, this has now become my Home with the Territory as where I am "From" despite being born and raised in South OZ, although a different part.

If thats true I had better see if the National Parks will allow me to Build a log cabin on the slopes of Snowdon in North Wales.

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 11-11-2008 at 11:07

waveysmiley