Karl`s PC Help Forums

Planet Gore website
scholar - 17-1-2008 at 02:13

Here's the link

It has numerous articles touching on Gore-ish subjects. greengrin

John_Little - 17-1-2008 at 16:21

See, for me, that's his one saving grace.

John

scholar - 17-1-2008 at 16:50

Quote:
Gore's "open sewer" [Henry Payne]

The Goracle in full sanctimony at his speech in Bali last week:

“So today we dumped another seventy million tons of global-warming pollution into the thin shell of atmosphere surrounding our planet, as if it were an open sewer. And tomorrow we will dump a slightly larger amount.”

He then got on a jet airliner burning a gallon of fuel per second for the 19-hour trip back across the Pacific to his 10,000 square-foot home in Tennessee (assuming he didn’t stop at his second home in San Francisco).

Is his "one saving grace" that he tells other people not to pollute [which, in his thinking, includes any burning of fuel for electricity] (while his private jet and huge home burn tremendous amounts of fuel)?

John_Little - 17-1-2008 at 16:53

Do as I say, not as I do.

John

scholar - 17-1-2008 at 19:32

Of course, it's OK if you buy carbon offsets for your extravagance.

Ask Al--he buys them for his home.

Of course, he has ownership in the offsets company, so he's buying them from himself. But, if he gets you to follow his example, his carbon offsets company will make money from every offset that you buy.

Did you know that much of his family fortune is from ownership in Occidental petroleum? When oil companies profit, he makes money. When people buy offsets, he makes money. He's doing pretty well.

LSemmens - 18-1-2008 at 14:08

You can buy as many "offsets" as you like, it's just another scam to get your money, me, I'd rather plant a tree!

scholar - 18-1-2008 at 16:30

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
You can buy as many "offsets" as you like, it's just another scam to get your money, me, I'd rather plant a tree!
Your sense of humor is sometimes so dry,m Leigh,, that I don't know if you are deliberately joking or not.

As I understand it, a common kind of carbon offset is supposed to involve paying someone to do something to decrease or reduce carbon dioxide--such as planting a tree, or shutting down a fuel-burning operation.

The Wall Street Journal had an article about power plants in China that are built, then paid to be taken down by Western operations which need to offset an operation they want to build. Then the Chinese build the plant again--and take it down when another Western operation pays them to do so. . . .

Of course, if people like Al Gore really held the convictions they promote for other people, they would stop burning so much fuel AND would plant trees to process CO2. I've noticed Gore does not even buy his own offsets for his private jet, just for his house in Tennesee. (He does actually lose a little money when he buys them, because he doesn't hold entire ownership, and because of taxes.)

John_Little - 18-1-2008 at 16:38

Well, I cant argue with any of that, Scholar,

And I know your views on global warming, but surely the fact that someone in the USA is making this an issue after all that fuss at the various global conferences has got to be progress.

But, planting trees is good too.

John

LSemmens - 19-1-2008 at 12:38

I agree Scholar, it does seem like a dry remark that I would make, but, in this case, if the carbon offset were to work properly, then, well and good. As you have quoted: "power plants in China that are built, then paid to be taken down by Western operations which need to offset an operation they want to build. Then the Chinese build the plant again--and take it down when another Western operation pays them to do so. . . " Many organisations make a big noise about "Carbon Offsets" but, in reality are only paying lip service to it. Often they plant another thousand trees to "offset" their expansion, which, in reality should need another 100,000 trees. If we chose to offset all of our emissions, this planet would be either forest or factory with nowhere for people to live. What is needed is a paradigm shift in the way we use our natural resources on a corporate level, and on an individual level.