Karl`s PC Help Forums

Chicago flights
scholar - 22-12-2007 at 02:05

Much of Illinois has suffered fog condtions. Today the fog did not burn off all day in my area.

Chicago saw 200 airplane flights cancelled.

I heard a radio report of a 7-vehicle collision.:o

Redwolf5150 - 22-12-2007 at 03:33

So, what's your point?

Didn't burn off up here all day, either.

And we had freezing rain last night that caused numerous multiple car accidents.

*sheesh*

You Windy City types think the whole world revolves around you.

nananana

scholar - 22-12-2007 at 03:47

Did you have 200 airplane flights cancelled? No?

Oh, yeah, you don't have that many. :P:P:P

the bear - 22-12-2007 at 07:03

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Did you have 200 airplane flights cancelled? No?

Oh, yeah, you don't have that many. :P:P:P

Now children, play nice

Regards the Bear

scholar - 22-12-2007 at 07:49

I think we are just being playful and having fun. I know it's that way from my side.

There are things about which we may clash with strong feelings. Talking about the weather will not, I trust, be one of those areas.:)waveysmiley

the bear - 22-12-2007 at 08:25

Thats good, you won't have to go to bed without any supper then lol:P:P:P

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 22-12-2007 at 09:40

We were at minus 7 yesterday morning. Today it's above freezing because it's raining. If it suddently dips again though the roads will be ice rinks.shocked_yellow

the bear - 22-12-2007 at 10:40

MM, what part of the country do you live, that morning temperature seems very severe, have you got much snow?

Stay warm and safe.

Best regards the Bear

marymary100 - 22-12-2007 at 10:48

Places to go, people to see so need to go out and do things right up till the mass on Monday.

The temperature has been much colder than normal actually and I don't know why. It is usually about minus 1 in the morning. It's actually been too cold for snow.

Just as well I got new tyres last weekend though.

LSemmens - 22-12-2007 at 13:43

Here we are in the middle of Summer and the top temperature can't even get above the teens! What happened to Global Warming?

the bear - 22-12-2007 at 13:49

Quote:
Much of Illinois has suffered fog condtions. Today the fog did not burn off all day in my area.

I hope the plane delays don;t have a knock on effect, My son and his wife are flying from Austin to Dallas and then on to Jamacia for Christmas to-day.

Regards the Bear

delanti - 22-12-2007 at 14:15

Quote:

Send your complaints to God. Anyone who would think that every day would be perfect weather for flying and there would never be any flights canceled is sadly lacking some grey matter. Sheesh drop_down

the bear - 22-12-2007 at 14:21

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Quote:

Send your complaints to God. Anyone who would think that every day would be perfect weather for flying and there would never be any flights canceled is sadly lacking some grey matter. Sheesh drop_down

The comments posted were my own thoughts, being of the understanding Chicago International (O'Hare) airport is a feeder for Dallas, this was in consideration for my son. My wife and I fly maybe 2 or three times a year for holidays. My son on the otherhand being a scientist who lectures on "micro engineering flies world wide sometimes on a weekly basis. We both offer "prayers" to the Almighty as neither of us are of a complaining nature; but I can assure you that niether of us are anyway lacking in "grey matter" and know better than to make widely inaccurate sarcastic comments about people that they dont anything about.

The Bear ;)

delanti - 22-12-2007 at 17:10

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Quote:
Quote:

The comments posted were my own thoughts, being of the understanding Chicago International (O'Hare) airport is a feeder for Dallas, this was in consideration for my son. My wife and I fly maybe 2 or three times a year for holidays. My son on the otherhand being a scientist who lectures on "micro engineering flies world wide sometimes on a weekly basis. We both offer "prayers" to the Almighty as neither of us are of a complaining nature; but I can assure you that niether of us are anyway lacking in "grey matter" and know better than to make widely inaccurate sarcastic comments about people that they dont anything about.

The Bear ;)

Lighten up Bear, re-read my post, it was addressed in reply to Scholars weather report, not you or your son. I didn't say every one who flew was lacking. Just those who don't understand that winter sometimes causes delays. The news tends to make it look like it is the Airlines fault that flights get canceled, not mother natureswaggyfinger.

scholar - 22-12-2007 at 19:07

Quote:
it was addressed in reply to Scholars weather report, not you or your son. I didn't say every one who flew was lacking. Just those who don't understand that winter sometimes causes delays. The news tends to make it look like it is the Airlines fault that flights get canceled, not mother natureswaggyfinger.
I'm glad the airlines cancel flights when the weather is too severe for safe flying.

I just posted about the flights and collision as an indicator of the weather and its effects.

Redwolf's area is generally better-prepared for snow and cold. As one goes further south, the government and population are less and less willing to spend enough money for equipment that will be used less and less frequently to combat the snow and ice. For example, some northern cities have giant snow-blowers, whereas cities further south only have snow plows.waveysmiley

Delanti, does North Carolina get a fair amount of snow? I know that, in states which rarely see snow, an inch can be enough to cause all kinds of crashes among people who don't know how to drive in it.:)

the bear - 22-12-2007 at 19:56

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Bear ;)

Lighten up Bear, re-read my post, it was addressed in reply to Scholars weather report, not you or your son. I didn't say every one who flew was lacking. Just those who don't understand that winter sometimes causes delays. The news tends to make it look like it is the Airlines fault that flights get canceled, not mother natureswaggyfinger.

If you say so.

The Bear.

delanti - 22-12-2007 at 20:45

Quote:

Delanti, does North Carolina get a fair amount of snow? I know that, in states which rarely see snow, an inch can be enough to cause all kinds of crashes among people who don't know how to drive in it.:)

We get some snow where I live but not much and not too often. The advantage we have here is that if it does snow, it will not last long, at most a day or two. When they forecast snow or ice, the schools close and a lot of businesses shut down because everyone stays home. They have some plows but also use motor graders for clearing snow.

The problem with canceled flights is not the snow on the runways, it is the ice on the aircraft. Pilots are guided by a weight and balance formula calculating the safe take off weight for an aircraft. If the plane has ice on it that adds weight and might keep it from making a safe take off that is the reason for de-icing. Depending on the temperature and moisture in the air, the more severe the icing, the longer it takes to de-ice.

When you have an airport like JFK that has 80 flights per hour, it becomes an almost impossible task to de-ice that many aircraft. kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 23-12-2007 at 13:43

De-icing aircraft, from my understanding, is not so much about weight, but of aerodynamics. i.e. the ice can affect the surface area of the wing which can increase the stall speed significantly. For more info, have a read here: http://vendors.airtransport.cc/Pubs/OPS/Deice.pdf

delanti - 23-12-2007 at 17:36

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
De-icing aircraft, from my understanding, is not so much about weight, but of aerodynamics. i.e. the ice can affect the surface area of the wing which can increase the stall speed significantly. For more info, have a read here: http://vendors.airtransport.cc/Pubs/OPS/Deice.pdf

From your quoted manual, thats what I said.

LSemmens - 24-12-2007 at 11:39

Quote:
If the plane has ice on it that adds weight and
is what you said. The article says the the
Quote:
maximum lift co-efficient
is affected. This, in effect, is saying that to get the same lift, you must go faster. It may have the same effect as adding weight to the aircraft, but the lift co-efficient would be more severely reduced by the ice on the wings as opposed to the same weight of ice in the cargo hold.

delanti - 24-12-2007 at 13:57

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
is affected. This, in effect, is saying that to get the same lift, you must go faster. It may have the same effect as adding weight to the aircraft, but the lift co-efficient would be more severely reduced by the ice on the wings as opposed to the same weight of ice in the cargo hold.

In either case, I don't want to be on it when it takes off.waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 26-12-2007 at 01:21

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In either case, I don't want to be on it when it takes off.waveysmiley

Or doesn't.

I never was a good flyer in fixed wing aircraft of any size.

Helicopters, even flying nap of the Earth, don't bug me.

But take offs and landings in an airplane scare the willies out of me!

kewl_glasses

delanti - 26-12-2007 at 15:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150

Or doesn't.

I never was a good flyer in fixed wing aircraft of any size.

Helicopters, even flying nap of the Earth, don't bug me.

But take offs and landings in an airplane scare the willies out of me!

kewl_glasses

You would not have wanted to be with Bob K. and myself one winter morn. He decided to practice grass strip landings since the ground was frozen. After 3 successful ones he picked a small private strip neither of us had been into. Upon touching down we discovered the ground had thawed a bit and had a half inch of mud on top and 3/4 of the way down the strip there was a 5 foot dip. On reaching the end my comment was "how long doest it take to dis-assemble a C172". His reply was "with or without the manual."lips_sealed

Redwolf5150 - 26-12-2007 at 15:31

When I was in the 101st Airborne back in 1981, they just started getting the Black Hawk helicopter into the fleet.

The pilots like to try to roll the wheels of the non-retractable landing gear on the tops of trees.

At full cruising speed!

Made for some fun flights.

scared_stiff

We used to call it the "Sikorsky Veggi-matic" because when they went down, they went down HARD and tended to dice up anyone on board when the blades shattered in the trees.

I had to document a couple crash sites photographically for the Army, and they were NOT pleasant viewing.

scared_stiff scared_stiff scared_stiff

Also, when you rappeled out of one, if you weren't careful, you tended to end up hanging upside down, which was called "going possum."

kewl_glasses

the bear - 26-12-2007 at 16:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
When I was in the 101st Airborne back in 1981, they just started getting the Black Hawk helicopter into the fleet.

The pilots like to try to roll the wheels of the non-retractable landing gear on the tops of trees.

At full cruising speed!

Made for some fun flights.

scared_stiff

We used to call it the "Sikorsky Veggi-matic" because when they went down, they went down HARD and tended to dice up anyone on board when the blades shattered in the trees.

I had to document a couple crash sites photographically for the Army, and they were NOT pleasant viewing.

scared_stiff scared_stiff scared_stiff

Also, when you rappeled out of one, if you weren't careful, you tended to end up hanging upside down, which was called "going possum."

kewl_glasses

That sounds very exciting, you must have had so many adventures being in the Airborne, did you always carry a camera with you? I'd love a look-see through your photo albums.

Redwolfe I hope you and yours had the best of Christmas's and are looking forward to fantastic 2008.

All the very best

Your friend Bear

Redwolf5150 - 26-12-2007 at 22:13

A lot of my images from the Army that I did "officially" are filed away somewhere at either Schofield Brracks, Hawaii or at Fort Campbell.

I did manage to hold onto some of my negatives from field problems and such. Jackie and I are planning to make a run down to Indinana to get all my negatives, albums (phonographic and photographic) and the like out of storage and bring them back up here sometime in January. Once I get around to buying the driver for my negative scanner, I'll put a few of the choice ones up.

kewl_glasses

the bear - 27-12-2007 at 22:00

Quote:
Quote:

I hope the plane delays don;t have a knock on effect, My son and his wife are flying from Austin to Dallas and then on to Jamacia for Christmas to-day.

Regards the Bear

It appears that my son and daughter-in-law had no problems leaving the US by plane for Jamacia.

I had a phone call from him yesterday, apparentley he was sitting on the beach (feet in the surf) 88' hot and a rather dark skinned Father Christmas, complete with Red Robe and a present sack had just given him a bottle of Rum. Contentment!!!!

Regards the Bear