Karl`s PC Help Forums

Apple Care
marymary100 - 28-10-2017 at 09:54

My iPad screen cracked while charging. My nearest store is a 2 hour return trip away from my house and they were going to charge me nearly 300 to change the screen. I thought better of it and called the phone number and got the automated system which I find annoying. I used the "human being" phrase which got me talking to an Indian/American accent. All I wanted to be able to do was cancel the appointment which is a decent thing t do. His solution was for me just to not turn up as that was an automatic cancellation. The system must have been designed by someone on the autistic spectrum who doesn't like human interaction. lips_sealed

John_Little - 28-10-2017 at 11:22

I have changed the screen on my mobile phone and my laptop and it was easy on both. I think the worst thing on apple stuff is getting the back off. But all you have to do is work your way around with a plectrum type thing. Being slow and patient and it will come off. Then the rest is easy. And the screens are cheap.

My phone screen was £9 and the laptop £40. They both took less than 15 minutes.

LSemmens - 28-10-2017 at 21:28

The only thing you must be careful of is if the screen is glued to the digitiser. I learnt the hard way on my Galaxy Note 1. Watch numerous you tube how tos first.

John_Little - 29-10-2017 at 12:03

I broke the screen on our iPod Classic when the hard drive packed up and I decided to have a look to see if I could change it. Mind you, I know where I went wrong.

dr john - 30-10-2017 at 13:38

Two months ago my dog jerked on the lead while I was holding my tablet and it fell face down onto concert. As it fell, the padded protective cover caught on my fingertips and opened, turning it so it fell face down (!) and that cracked the glass. It switched on but would not respond to touch although the actual screen was working. And it was outside its extended warranty by a month.

I called the company's repair centre and they collected it for assessment. They quoted me £228 to replace just the glass and the touch digitiser - but the tablet had only cost me £103 just over two years ago! I checked online the part number they mentioned in their quote and the price was the same as they said at five or six different parts suppliers, so I rejected the repair.

I'd chosen that particular android tablet as it had the highest screen resolution of any other 7" tablet on sale. They don't make 7" tablets with high res screens any more, and the general prices had gone up. so I ended up getting a 7.9" android with almost the same high resolution for a total of £231.

Even the repairman said he was surprized at the cost of the part - he said most of the other parts for that model were "cheap" (his quotes). Luckily I like the new tablet a lot, but two years ago it would have been about £70 cheaper. And the glass and touch digitiser part would have been easily affordable.