Karl`s PC Help Forums

Win 10 Permissions Madness
JackInCT - 23-8-2017 at 03:47

This topic is for only Win 10 users.

I presume that all Win 10 users, especially when anyone first starts using it, sooner or later, gets the message (and its counterparts) that I keep seeing in the embedded image for this topic [which I copied off a hit on this matter as a visual example of one].

Needless to say, I would like to completely do away with it for everything that needs permission in one fell swoop rather than a one folder at a time solution which seems to be the case in the hits searches.

This topic is not for any lack about this "issue" that a Google hit turns up umpteen hits for re a "solution", it's just that no hit seems to have a solution that's a quick and easy one-shot effort.

So has anyone found one????

marymary100 - 23-8-2017 at 05:49

I was forced into buying a laptop with W10 a year or so ago and I have never had one of those messages.

John_Little - 23-8-2017 at 07:33

I have. Don't know why but it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Its probably some sort of operator error that you didn't notice.

JackInCT - 23-8-2017 at 14:42

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I have. Don't know why but it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Its probably some sort of operator error that you didn't notice.

It's not a "problem"; it's simply a matter of extra/unnecessary work as it increases the number of steps it takes to get the file where I want it.

The embedded image shows a typical example. I can save it to the Pictures Folder, and then move it to C:. There's no security advantage that I can see to doing that versus saving to C: in the first place.

And it's obvious that many other Win 10 end users also find that process 'annoying'/pointless judging by the number of hits a Google search has on the subject.

It is possible that the OEM version of Win 10 that I have has been "modified" by the manufacturer (Samsung). There's no better example of that than the Android OS; all the cellular providers seem to do some fairly significant modifications of the OS for their customer base presumably for no other reason than to enhance their cash flow. That would account for why some OEM Win 10 users see it, and others don't.

Katzy - 23-8-2017 at 19:42

Unzip the attached.

Right click on "InstallTakeOwnership.reg" and run as administrator.

Assuming that works, rigt click on the directory you want to save to and select "Take ownership".

You might just be able to save, there, now.

I've used that to take ownership of every file on my machine. Saves loads of hassle.

JackInCT - 23-8-2017 at 20:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Unzip the attached....

I've used that to take ownership of every file on my machine.

Worth a shot. Thanks

By the way: "take ownership of every file on my machine".

"Every file", literally, must be in the thousands, numerically. Did you create a batch file to do that?

LSemmens - 24-8-2017 at 04:02

I find winaero Tweaker seems to allow me to remove a lot of rubbish that M$ forces upont you. It may sort your problem as I've not really experienced it unless I'm going somewhere I Know I shouldn't be anyway.

Katzy - 24-8-2017 at 09:31

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT Did you create a batch file to do that?

Nope. I just did it for every directory, individually, from within Total Commander. Naturally, a number of DOS windows flashed up. Took a while, of course. But, for me, it was worth the effort.

How much better Windoze would be, if M$ believed that I own this machine, not them.