Karl`s PC Help Forums

I now have a Kindle Reader app on the iPad Mini 3
scholar - 20-8-2017 at 01:36

One of the daughters guided me in downloading it. And, when I logged in through my Amazon account info, my two ebooks appeared.

It is much too small to read comfortably. I expected it to get bigger with the spread fingers motion, but that did not work.:( The magnifying glass icon did not magnify the text, either--it activated a search function.

I don't know how to view it on the PC. And, I don't know if it will still be on the iPad when I get out of range from the home wifi.

I would like to be able to view the older NIV bible translation. I have a pdf file of it. But, I don't know how to save it into the iPad.

I remember when each new Windows OS had a tutorial with it. I'm not aware of any such thing for the iPad.

marymary100 - 20-8-2017 at 09:33

Loads on YouTube - including https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3R5qBjOvkA

Katzy - 20-8-2017 at 17:55

When my Kobo fried, I bought a tablet and a free e-reader app. Much cheaper than a dedicated reader and far more flexible. :)

LSemmens - 21-8-2017 at 01:55

I'm with Katzy there. esword Has all the usual free translations including the NIV. I have it on my PC and use The You Version on my tablets and phones. All have the NIV as that seems to be the favoured translation these days even though I prefer the King Jimmy which uses English as Jesus Spoke (:D).

A tablet is far more versatile. I have my Bible app, Several Books that I am currently reading, and all of my Chord Charts for when I play, which is the main use for the tablet. It replaces several folders of music. The last iteration of my Music book ran to over 500 pages with over 2000 songs.

scholar - 22-8-2017 at 01:45

Let me ask you, Leigh, about the NIV edition on e-Sword. The NIV came out in the 1978, with minor changes in 1984. In 2005, a revision was made which included gender-neutral changes. In 2011, another NIV edition came out which reversed many of the gender-neutral changes.

Which edition is used on e-Sword?

I must study each verse to give my best judgement on the best word choice for accuracy and clarity for understanding. A great many of my English resources use the 1984 NIV, and memorization is best supported by consistently using the same wording.

LSemmens - 22-8-2017 at 02:19

No idea, you can look it up yourself at the link I provided. For clarity, I usually refer to the Amplified Bible and Several other translations. If necessary I also refer to Strongs.

scholar - 22-8-2017 at 21:56

I just downloaded the e-Sword program and installed it.

I looked for the NIV, and found it on the "premium" list. The 1984 NIV is on the list, but it is NOT AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE. It seems it is listed because it was a former e-Sword module and anyone who owns it already is advised, if they click it on the list, that they can unlock it with the e-mail and product key that they already have.

I am somewhat frustrated when I click on other premium translations of interest to me, because I get a message that I must purchase use of them from those who have rights to the translation. But, I am not told how to make such a purchase, or how much it costs. I like the New American Standard Bible for accuracy, the NIV, the Holman Christian Standard Bible, and God's Word to the Nations [if I recognize the title correctly].

marymary100 - 22-8-2017 at 22:01

I take it you already tried Gutenberg?

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10

scholar - 22-8-2017 at 23:24

No, I didn't try gutenberg. The last time I looked there, IIRC, it was a list of public domain books either dating before copyright laws, or of books whose copyrights had expired. The NIV and NASB rights are a very current matter. I do have a 1984 NIV pdf version on my desktop computer, the rights for which must have been granted before the holders started pushing the 2011 edition.

I am interested in Leigh's suggestions because, besides reading, I can use the software framing the Bible to navigate, do searches, see cross-references, etc.

I can use the iPad browser to get Bible texts when I am on the internet. I'm interested in being able to use it when I'm not connected.

scholar - 22-8-2017 at 23:33

I found how to get the NIV at eStudySoure.com

$24.99, for the newer versions of it!shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

None of the listed translations seem cheap. Wuest's translation is of interest to me (it was done by a professor of New Testament Greek, specifically to highlight original-language points)--but it is $9.99! The man passed to glory half a century ago. The only reason the price is still so high, when no printed copy is involved, must be economic.

scholar - 23-8-2017 at 00:00

Upon reflection. . .

I wonder if the market for printed Bibles is plummeting. Groups like the Lockman Foundation may have gotten a small payment for each Amplified Bible or NASB printed. I don't know what all is involved in such operations, but even a modest building and a few employees to "keep the doors open" when no new scholarly work is being done must cost a significant amount of money. They may need income from electronic copies of their work.

marymary100 - 23-8-2017 at 05:47

Personally I don't think you need it at all. There are whole websites dedicated to doing free verse by verse comparisons of all so called translations/interpretations of the texts. I find the Good News and KJV enough for physical copies. There is also the facility to search by topic which is good for finding all the contradictions etc.

scholar - 24-8-2017 at 00:44

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
There are whole websites

Since the iPad is dependent on wifi (unlike smart phones with ISPs), anything that requires live connection to a website is useless to me on the road. So, I at least need a resident Bible document in an accurate, trustworthy translation. Such a translation, or translations, with the advantages of Scripture study software is better. A good program and good translations which are available in both iPad and Windows 8 versions is better still.

marymary100 - 24-8-2017 at 06:05

If you were better prepared at home you wouldn't need to be looking something up on the road.

scholar - 25-8-2017 at 00:51

I do more study than I can fit into the hours I have available at home.

And, the Lord sometimes grants me opportunities to share His Word with people in unexpected circumstances. It helps for me to be able quickly to locate a Scripture that I remember, or to glance at reference works that refresh my memory on something I've read years ago.

I belong to the Lord, available for His service, all the time.

LSemmens - 25-8-2017 at 03:31

I do all my research at home. If I am given an opportunity to share "out in the wild" I use whatever I have to hand. These days I tend to use an NIV because it is the current flavour, I much prefer King Jimmy, and that is all I generally carry with me. If you can't convey your message because you don't have the right translation, you must needs ask God to give you the correct words. Just remember, it is only in the last 50 or so years that so many different translations have become readily available. The early Christians even managed to survive without any "Bible" because it hadn't been published yet.

scholar - 26-8-2017 at 16:42

Sometimes I wish to get a specific text, and don't remember the location reference. Carrying around a complete concordance with the Bible could do the trick, but a resident Bible program is more convenient. [Unless, of course, the pad is stolen, or I let the battery run down, or the screen getscracked, or it gets wet. . . .] But, if I don't use the iPad because I fear problems, then it doesn't benefit me, either.

The verse divisions were added later, by the way. Some divisions are indicated naturally (like, a new chapter when you go from one Psalm to another, or a new verse should start when the material is arranged according to the first letter of each).

scholar - 26-8-2017 at 17:29

I downloaded the STEP reader installation program, which has 100 free titles in a format accessible by e-Sword. The STEP format was used by several Bible programs (e.g. Quickverse). I haven't been following the development of such programs over the years. I'm sure some have dropped out over time.

But, it looks as if I will have to study and practice to get the know e-Sword well enough to use it easily. The more features that are in a program, the more time it takes to learn them.

scholar - 26-8-2017 at 17:33

Rats! I lost a post.:(

I meant to relate that eSword had not closed properly when I first used it, and I had to shut down Windows. When I restarted, the several free Bibles I had chosen--ESV, God's Word to the Nations, and a Greek text--were all on board. But, will it close properly next time?