Karl`s PC Help Forums

Speed of broadband
scholar - 28-6-2017 at 01:05

Quote:
Your Speed 5.42 Mbps

The ATT internet connection guy was here. He changed the wiring so that we wouldn't keep getting dropped so often, and he increased our speed to the maximum for which we are paying.

He hinted that it could be boosted further, but that it might not be as reliable at greater speeds. As he says, the company is using phone lines for internet service, and trying to make them do the job as best as they can.

He also changed the password on our wifi, away from what the sticker says. So, relatives who have used our wifi won't be able to stop by and connect, siphoning off some of our speed.

The man also confirmed what I had told Ruby--that viewing Netflix grabs a lot of the band, slowing down internet for my computer, and that additional devices cuts the speed even further.

LSemmens - 28-6-2017 at 02:16

And?

marymary100 - 28-6-2017 at 06:03

Little point in having fast broadband if you have old computer equipment or Win10. Why shouldn't Ruby get Netflix? Good though that the moochers are kicked off but that will only work as long as you keep the password safe. Hide yo wifi...

John_Little - 28-6-2017 at 09:40

All that you said is correct, Scholar. And the worst of it will be the TV stuff. Having said that, BT and other ISPs that use BT connections use ASDL over phone lines. Although some people do have co-ax and even fibre here. we are on cable and get 30meg. still a long way from 56k modems.

scholar - 28-6-2017 at 22:54

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Little point in having fast broadband if you have old computer equipment or Win10. Why shouldn't Ruby get Netflix? Good though that the moochers are kicked off but that will only work as long as you keep the password safe. Hide yo wifi...

I don't understand why Win10 would make fast broadband pointless.

I agree that there is no great need for blazing speeds when my computer is fairly modest. It's like the young stenographer who said that she didn't need to learn to record words any faster, because she could already record faster than anyone in her county could talk.:o:D

marymary100 - 29-6-2017 at 05:34

Win10 slows things down with the scripts they run to force tailored ads to websites, track your history etc.

LSemmens - 29-6-2017 at 09:00

Only if you haven't turned all that crap off, Mary. W10 works fine for me, even on old machines designed when XP was king.

scholar - 29-6-2017 at 21:36

I remember a time when speed-efficiency and economy of memory were priorities in writing programs. (Remember when games sometimes came on floppy disks? Or even an OS, such as MS-DOS?) The machines were so much slower than modern machines. I've had the thought that the older programs, run on modern machines, would be lightning fast, the best of both worlds.

marymary100 - 29-6-2017 at 22:26

I have an iPad which zips along despite ads whereas the lappy is bogged down by ads and "reminders" that I didn't update the "free" security when the 3 months lapsed.

LSemmens - 30-6-2017 at 04:51

Back in the day you could run old DOS programs at blistering speeds on newer machines. Haven't tried it in years, but there's no real reason why some of them wouldn't still work inside a VM.

scholar - 1-7-2017 at 20:49

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Only if you haven't turned all that crap off, Mary. W10 works fine for me, even on old machines designed when XP was king.

How do I do that? I have Windows 8.1