Karl`s PC Help Forums

Just bought our second Acer laptop
John_Little - 17-11-2015 at 08:50

My old (4 years) Samsung wont charge because I pulled the charging wire and broke the changing socket, I managed to get a lot of stuff off it whilst it still held a charge and went and bought another brand new acer. This one is almost the same as the one we bought earlier in the year but the keyboard is better (no visible gaps under the keys for crumbs) and the on/off button is on the right of the keyboard.

I am in the process of loading it up with stuff and plan to use it as my everyday computer and keep the older one mainly as a digital recording studio using an alesis io2 with Sonar 7 which I'm just learning to use but find so much easier than cubase.

LSemmens - 17-11-2015 at 09:09

If all you have done is pull a wire, why don't you re-solder it?

John_Little - 17-11-2015 at 09:15

Ah. Well, I managed to get the back (bottom) off but the socket is really packed in and covered by the fan. I suppose I could do it, in fact I suppose having resigned myself to not using it I ought to try as I cant see what more harm I could do. But the connections are underneath not on top where I was hoping they would be and I'd have to take a lot of boards out and disconnect loads of wires and stuff and remember how to put them all back.

I was wondering about trying to charge the battery separately somehow. Digger from SL found a special battery charger for 50 but I'm wondering if its worth it.

Earlier in the year, I tripped over it whilst it was open on the floor and cracked the screen case and hinge so its all taped up. I looked up how much it was worth and it was about 67.

Katzy - 17-11-2015 at 10:58

No joke...

I had an old Acer lappy, for years. I used a car charger, when it's own one died. Just connected it to the battery terminals and left it, overnight. Worked a treat!

Not sure you can get a car charger to connect to more modern batteries, though...

John_Little - 17-11-2015 at 12:12

To be honest. I haven't looked at the battery to see how many terminals there are. I have got the original charger that still works so if it was just a case of putting wires on the correct terminals I could still use the samsung. It was a good one at the time i5 and all that.

JackInCT - 17-11-2015 at 17:56

Whenever ANYTHING goes wrong on a laptop, regardless of brand, can't you just take out (remove) the HD and connect it up to a desktop PC (temporarily disconnecting its HD [the power cable would do] this PC has), boot up to BIOS, have BIOS recognize it [manually if it doesn't automatically recognizeit as the primary boot drive], and you're back in business (especially re offloading any data files on it to a thumb drive)?

LSemmens - 18-11-2015 at 00:16

The answer, simply is, yes.

Now for the complex bit. With modern systems with SATA drives it gets easy because all you need do is.

- power off the desktop
- plug the drive into a spare SATA socket
- re-boot the machine

Windoze will then just recognise it s another drive.

I actually use one of these to work on HDDs without opening the system. You can then treat the drive as a USB device.

If the drive is the older IDE (with an 80 pin plug) then it gets a tad more complex. needing adaptors and the like.

JackInCT - 18-11-2015 at 01:36

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
The answer, simply is, yes.....

Does your reply (plug the laptop HD into a spare desktop bay) presume that both the laptop HD and the desktop HD both have the same OS?

LSemmens - 18-11-2015 at 11:20

No, the only time you might run into trouble is if you are using Windoze to try and read a mac disk or Linux.