Karl`s PC Help Forums

2nd Opinions Requested Re Accuracy Of This News Article Re MS Plans For Win 10 OS Install
JackInCT - 12-11-2015 at 16:26

2nd Opinions Requested Re Accuracy Of This News Article Re MS Plans For Win 10 OS Install:
i. e., has anyone come across this on some other tech type article/blog/whatever that would tend to confirm this Tech Republic article has it 'right'.

From Tech Republic article dated 10/30/15
URL: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/five-ways-microsoft-plans-to-get-you-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/#ftag=YHF87e0214

PARTIAL Verbatim Copy & Paste:

Microsoft wants Windows 10 on one billion devices by 2018 - and its tactics for hitting that ambitious goal are about to get more aggressive.

From next year, Microsoft will be more direct in pushing Windows 7 and 8.1 users to upgrade to its latest OS, in an attempt to bolster the 110 million-strong Windows 10 userbase.

Here's how Microsoft is about to crank up the pressure to make the switch.

1. Windows 10 will automatically begin installing itself

From "early next year", Microsoft will change the status of the free Windows 10 upgrade so it is classified as a Recommended Update.

Given that most home machines are set up to install Recommended Updates automatically, the change to Windows 10's update status will lead to most Windows 7 and 8.1 machines beginning the upgrade.

However, Microsoft says that before Windows 10 is installed users will need to manually confirm the installation, giving them a chance to pull out.

Business users should be able to prevent the upgrade from automatically starting using tools such as Windows Server Update Services.

Katzy - 12-11-2015 at 18:34

It's true, to a large extent. If you're on W7, check the "critical" updates you've installed, recently. Particularly the "Telemetry" ones.

They'll do what they did with XP, sooner than they promised, too, I suspect, and discontinue support for it. Or, perhaps, discontinue it, if you don't have those updates?

They admit that they're gonna push them, here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10

Some good comments, on that, here:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/30/beware-microsoft-plans-to-push-windows-10-on-even-more-windows-7-and-8-systems

One way to stop it, totally (Until they override it):

In the "run" thingy, type "gpedit.msc" and hit "Enter" (Group Policy Editor)

Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update.

In the list of settings, find "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update".

Double-click it and set it to "Enabled".

This setting was originally meant to be set by administrators in multiple-system business environments, where random ugrades to Windows 10 could wreak even more havoc than in single-user situations. This means that Microsoft is unlikely to ever remove this option (Possibly) and that this setting will PROBABLY remain the most effective way to block uninvited upgrades.

LSemmens - 12-11-2015 at 23:10

I'm not certain that gpedit is even available to you unless you are running Ultimate or Enterprise, Katzy. Even Enterprise I am unsure of.

JackInCT - 13-11-2015 at 00:49

FYI: For my Win 7 OS Home Premium 32 Bit:

"gpedit.msc": in Run/Command Prompt-Nothing occurs

For "Group Policy Editor" via a 3rd party File Search program: NO gpedit.exe file was found. BUT did get several hits one of which is "gpedit.CHM" [for those unfamiliar with the "chm" file extensions, those are a program's help files]. Put gpedit.chm in Search (under the Start button) and got the following in the attached image file. Was able to put as per line 1 in Command Prompt, and got a program that was COMPLETELY devoid of anything re files/etc.,. I suppose one answer (as to why that occurred) COULD be that the default install for Win 7 doesn't install that, which if I wanted to do the work, I could go through the usual Win process for adding non-default OS programs [from the install OS CD which I own].

LSemmens - 13-11-2015 at 02:58

Se my post above, Jack, policy editor is not available.

Katzy - 13-11-2015 at 11:21

Ah, but it can be. :)

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

JackInCT - 13-11-2015 at 13:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Ah, but it can be. :)

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

Definitely will give in a shot sometime in the next 2-3 days.

In a related matter, could you tell us (mere home end user mortals that is) where/how you find this stuff?

LSemmens - 14-11-2015 at 00:35

Google is your friend, and, of course two other critical factors.
1. knowing that it is capable of doing what you ask
2. Asking the right questions.

Katzy - 14-11-2015 at 16:00

There are several sites which I tend to visit, from time to time, just to keep abreast of things.

http://www.ghacks.net for instance.

I like to let others find problems and get solutions, before I install most things, such as W10. I was weaned off of the "OO! A new one! Must try it!" thing, years ago. Windows ME cemented that.

LSemmens - 14-11-2015 at 23:58

I tend to be the same, Katzy. I actually skipped versions of OS only because they offered little advantage. I never did install W8 on any of my machines and W10 went onto my lappy first as a test. It ran happily there for several weeks, so I then set up my print server (which was even lower spec than the lappy) and it ws happy there. Wife's PC a couple of weeks later. Then my main PC which has all the critical stuff on it only about three weeks ago.

I like W10 and (until my media server issues) have found it to be a good system. With my media server, I still haven't decided if the problems are hardware or software, so the Jury is still out on that one.

JackInCT - 15-11-2015 at 04:23

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
...I like W10...

It seems to me that W10 exposes the end user to an all time high of vulnerability to being spied upon by the govt, and with all the holes that we all know exist (or will be found to exist), and are waiting to be exploited by nasty people.

The end user doesn't get to decide what is innocuous about their digital files; it is a blundering stupid uncaring (and sometimes lazy) group of govt employees (civil servants and patronage appointees) who never ever get fired for making mistakes that harm any of their country's citizens.

Katzy - 15-11-2015 at 10:58

My first Windows experience, which I suffered when my Amiga finally died, was 98SE.

W2K was, probably, the best OS, for it's time, that M$ ever came out with. XP was W2K with eye candy, for the most part, but it was way better at installing drivers. W7 was a step in the right direction, which W8 really screwed up. I never even bothered a try that one out, after reading how well it went down.

W10 went on my test machine, as has been mentioned. It stayed there for a month, when I took advantage of the W7 rollback. Unless things change drastically, W7 will be the very last Windows version I ever use, as M$ say that W10 will be their last ever OS.

To a large extent, M$ have always given us what they want us to have, rather than what we actually want. But, W10 takes that to a whole new level. Best advert for Linux, ever.

LSemmens - 15-11-2015 at 11:24

My first efforts upon installing Windoze is turning off all the "self" help features. ;)

JackInCT - 15-11-2015 at 14:22

Quote:
.... as M$ say that W10 will be their last ever OS...

As I'm sure that you've heard, Intel has already formally announced its [per WiKi] "Skylake is the codename used by Intel for the 6th generation Core processor microarchitecture which was launched in August 2015 as the successor to the Broadwell microarchitecture....".

I don't think that it would be a surprise if a new OS has to be developed to take full advantage of what that processor can do. While such an OS may work out to really only be a speed factor increase (and likely a reduction in weight of the machine that houses it), and quite possibly such a low power consumption processor that a machine can be left in a constant on state and still be environmentally friendly. And while I'm at it, the screen res factor could also be in offing as well.

As a basis for comparison, creating a word processing document in an MS-DOS program versus Win 10 re time involved is literally the same (and voice to text tech perfection would be a minor time consumption decrease). The biggest improvement in DOS word processors versus the Win 10 OS is all the 'bells & whistles' that Win 10 Word has to offer that I would think most home users never ever use [I suppose that the autocorrect spell andgrammar correct features could, one day, be perfect with improved processors].

Katzy - 15-11-2015 at 15:54

From what M$ have said, they'll just update W10 to handle that.

LSemmens - 16-11-2015 at 08:19

I suspect that Android may well become the OS of the future.

Katzy - 16-11-2015 at 11:00

Yet we all know the privacy problems that has...

Katzy - 27-11-2015 at 12:12

By the way, to kill all the telemetry rubbish, on W7, you can run the attached.

Worked, for me! :D

JackInCT - 28-11-2015 at 02:57

Quote:
By the way, to kill all the telemetry rubbish, on W7, you can run the attached...

Your use of the word "telemetry" in the reply above was in the 'new news to me' category.

So I spent quite a bit of time doing searches on 'Win 7 + telemetry'; there are quite a few hits on the subject.

Bottom Line re my reading of several hits: there is quite a range of opinions/perspectives/whatever on the subject to include, some hits that claim that it cannot be stopped no matter what the end uses does, i. e., delete of files/etc.,. In particular hits with a comments section are also all 'over the place', to include some that claim to have talked/emailed to high mucky mucks at MS re the subject.

Speaking of email to MS, does anyone know IF the only way to get an actual working email of anyone (a real person) at MS is to be a certified MS developer; I'm referring NOT only to their name but their job title/description and where they are at MS on the organizational chart? I suppose there's a telephone book for MS employees, but I've never come across one!

LSemmens - 28-11-2015 at 10:04

The easiest way to kill all M$ telemetry is to unplug the modem. Might cause a few other issues, though. nananana

Katzy - 28-11-2015 at 21:43

I've totally disabled updates, now, from the service up. My security MIGHT get compromised. But, hey, M$ already did that, so...

LSemmens - 29-11-2015 at 04:49

For a more indepth analysis of how to turn off the updates have a read here

Katzy - 29-11-2015 at 11:16

Silly, innit. How long before they capitulate and put things back as they were, in previous versions? Useful link, though, ta!