Karl`s PC Help Forums

It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers.
Katzy - 31-7-2011 at 11:37

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/29/aptiquant_iq_survey

marymary100 - 31-7-2011 at 12:01

I would think that anyone drawn to an online IQ test by an advert appearing on their screen would be of fairly low intelligence in any case...

Katzy - 31-7-2011 at 12:09

This, however, really makes a valid point...

"Any IT company involved in web development will acknowledge the fact that millions of man hours are wasted each year to make otherwise perfectly functional websites work in Internet Explorer."

marymary100 - 31-7-2011 at 12:14

I'm sure. It is what it is however, and if web designers want their products to be available to as broad a spectrum of "dumbassed" customers as possible they'd better get used to it. ;)

Theravad - 31-7-2011 at 14:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
This, however, really makes a valid point...

"Any IT company involved in web development will acknowledge the fact that millions of man hours are wasted each year to make otherwise perfectly functional websites work in Internet Explorer."
me

Quite. Particularly UK government departments which still use IE6 !!!!

The corollary is the other departments who develop web sites with Microsoft that just won't work on many other browsers. This goes completely against the original concept of the web as expounded by the father of the web.

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network."
-- Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

LSemmens - 31-7-2011 at 14:49

Problem is, Katzy, any IT company that wastes its time attempting to cater to the "standards" set by IE must be fairly bright. I mean, if people insisted on following the true, published, standards, then M$ might be encouraged to actually make a truly standards compliant browser or find that IE is irrelevant in a truly standardised Interweb.

Theravad - 31-7-2011 at 14:57

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Problem is, Katzy, any IT company that wastes its time attempting to cater to the "standards" set by IE must be fairly bright. .

Most developers push the problem into libraries and frameworks. So they use things such as JQuery UI and let the libraries deal with underlying compatibility issues. Those hosting sites are better off starting with a content management system like Joomla, WordPress etc. or portal stuff like Liferay.

As like most things, the differences can be abstracted to allow the developer to concentrate on the real meat of the apps. The MVC paradigm is another way of partitioning the "problem".

T

Katzy - 31-7-2011 at 15:31

It still seems that Billy-bully-boy and his cohorts want the internet to comply with his standards, not web standards.

Faolan - 31-7-2011 at 20:06

Actually IE 9 has become one of the most standards compliant browsers on the market these days. The turn around started around IE 8, and Microsoft has been very proactive in supporting HTML 5 and CSS 3 standards. Plus it's also contributing to a number of Open Source projects such as jQuery.

The browser that causes me the most grief due to the way it handles floats is Safari, which is downright unusual as it's the WebKit engine.

Katzy - 1-8-2011 at 11:55

My biggest dislike with IE is ActiveX.

marymary100 - 3-8-2011 at 12:34

Hoaxbrshteeth

Redwolf5150 - 3-8-2011 at 12:38

Fished In!

Katzy - 3-8-2011 at 12:41

Plausible, though, ay? ;)

marymary100 - 3-8-2011 at 12:48

You thought so. I already pointed out what a dodgy premise it seemed to be based on. ;)

giron - 3-8-2011 at 15:02

The Canadian gay scientists have calculated that 93.7% of IE users believed the story was true. waggyfinger

Redwolf5150 - 3-8-2011 at 16:22

Trouble is, the majority of the republicans and tea potty members in this country use IE.

:D

giron - 3-8-2011 at 16:53

Apart from Christine O'Donnell , she uses a broomstick, allegedly.

finchart - 15-8-2011 at 18:28

Quote:

Update: This survey discussed in this story was apparently a hoax.

i wonder what that means????;)