Karl`s PC Help Forums

Two KF people from one computer?
scholar - 30-6-2011 at 16:26

Suppose someone else in my family wished to become a KF member, and post under their own nickname and avatar, from the same desktop computer that I use. How would that work?

Would only one of us be able to be logged on at a time?

Would we have to use different browsers?

Do I need to have separate computers for each of us?

Perhaps I should mention, I have a couple of KF windows open on my Opera browser all the time, whether I am connected to the internet or not, and I just refresh them when I connect again. With this approach, I don't have to log in with my user ID and password. Would browser cookies be allowing me to do that?

Theravad - 30-6-2011 at 16:48

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Suppose someone else in my family wished to become a KF member, and post under their own nickname and avatar, from the same desktop computer that I use. How would that work?

As long as you log off and then they log on - or, as you hint at, use different browsers - no probs

T

scholar - 30-6-2011 at 17:45

Hmmmmm. . . .

Suppose Patienceofasaint and Scholar each had a separate browser window in Opera. Each of us has our own tabs in our respective windows.

Would that work like two browsers? Or, would we need completely separate browsers, like Opera and Firefox?

marymary100 - 30-6-2011 at 17:47

Suck it and see...

giron - 30-6-2011 at 19:45

What if Tim wants to join in, all this computer sharing is going to get a bit messy, isn't it ?

Katzy - 30-6-2011 at 20:11

Quote:
Hmmmmm. . . .

Suppose Patienceofasaint and Scholar each had a separate browser window in Opera. Each of us has our own tabs in our respective windows.

Would that work like two browsers? Or, would we need completely separate browsers, like Opera and Firefox?

Probably different browsers, due to the cookies.

You can always have two different installations of Opera...

scholar - 30-6-2011 at 22:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Quote:
Hmmmmm. . . .

Probably different browsers, due to the cookies.

You can always have two different installations of Opera...
I didn't know you could do that!:o

I might want to do a different brand of browse, so that the two are immediately, visually different.

But. . . I've always heard of different "skins" you could put on Opera. I've imagined them to be like different themes in KF or Windows. If I had two installations of Opera, each with a different look to it so that neither of us would accidentally post as if we were the other. . . .

LSemmens - 1-7-2011 at 00:32

I'd suggest that the cookies would obviate the use of the same browser.

waffler - 1-7-2011 at 00:46

Try it and See

Redwolf5150 - 1-7-2011 at 02:55

Sounds like Scholar is amassing an army of sock puppets!

the bear - 1-7-2011 at 05:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Sounds like Scholar is amassing an army of sock puppets!

Or could it be that now he's married Ruby wants to join in and contribute to KF :):):)

Regards the Bear

Katzy - 1-7-2011 at 10:27

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I'd suggest that the cookies would obviate the use of the same browser.

Same browser-different installation works fine, on mine.

It's even better, if you use twwo portable versions, though.

scholar - 1-7-2011 at 16:06

Thank you, Katzy, for field-testing it for me.

(Now, everyone is wondering who your second KF identity is. . . unless you have a real-life friend who is a KF member, whom you let use your computer.):D:D:D:P

Katzy - 1-7-2011 at 19:57

Not here, matey.

Dot might put me over her knee and give me a sound spanking...

Hold on... Now there's an idea... [bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/evilgrin.gif[/bad img]

marymary100 - 1-7-2011 at 20:01

Not just Dot...;)

scholar - 1-7-2011 at 21:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Not here, matey.

Dot might put me over her knee and give me a sound spanking...

Hold on... Now there's an idea... [bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/evilgrin.gif[/bad img]

If you didn't set up a second KF name and log-in, how did you determine "it works fine"?

I'm really not trying to stir up trouble, Katzy. I thought--just for a test--you must have done so.waveysmiley

giron - 1-7-2011 at 21:31

Perhaps he had a quiet word with the CIA and got them to tell him your log in details ? lips_sealed

Big-Ray - 21-7-2011 at 14:16

Quote:
Thank you, Katzy, for field-testing it for me.

(Now, everyone is wondering who your second KF identity is. . . unless you have a real-life friend who is a KF member, whom you let use your computer.):D:D:D:P

I think Katzy knows a guy called Norman who may be able to help.........smokin:

Katzy - 21-7-2011 at 19:14

[bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/giggle.gif[/bad img]