Karl`s PC Help Forums

Acer Aspire
janet - 11-11-2008 at 11:12

I've had good luck with my Acer travelmate, and this Acer Aspire has been suggested by a friend as a replacement.

Anything glaring that I should be aware of?

Daz - 11-11-2008 at 12:15

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
I've had good luck with my Acer travelmate, and this Acer Aspire has been suggested by a friend as a replacement.

Anything glaring that I should be aware of?

I like them, BUT, they look a little cheap and plastic these days. (Not like the old Acer's) It bothers some people, but for me, I'm more interested in the spec, rather than what it looks like.

That's a very good price for the spec... Thumbs up from me...!

janet - 11-11-2008 at 12:25

Thank you! :) That's helpful.

Daz - 11-11-2008 at 12:47

I've got an old 1.8ghz Acer Aspire, and I'm happy with it, but it's showing it age now. (HDD size is the main issue)

I still recommend Acer's to friends/family if they ask for my advice.

When I work on any new/ish laptop now, I get very jealous, because they've improved so much since I bought mine. If I had some spare money, I'd be *very* tempted by that deal myself...

PS. Don't forget to go through Quidco if you're with them...

janet - 11-11-2008 at 12:53

Ohhh, I'd forgotten about that - I'm not with them but I with other things like them... thank you!

Katzy - 11-11-2008 at 17:59

My local minister's daughter had one and it'd given her nothing but trouble, I'm afraid.

She doesn't have it, now, coz it seems that she wouldn't allow some lad to do norty things, with her, at a party.

So, with the subtlety expected of students, he urinated on her laptop. :o

victor - 11-11-2008 at 18:54

She was only a ministors daughter but I wouldn't put anything pastor. :D

Dreamweaver - 11-11-2008 at 19:39

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
She was only a ministors daughter but I wouldn't put anything pastor. :D
D'oh!! :P

marymary100 - 11-11-2008 at 19:45

My dad has one and likes it very much - obviously he's not using any downloading sites like limewire or gaming so it's not getting a real work out.

Faolan - 11-11-2008 at 20:37

Word of warning Acer's support is rubbish...

The best laptops are:

Lenovo (4 year warranty)
HP (value for money/spec)
Dell (price)

janet - 11-11-2008 at 20:51

Well, I've also found this... ?

Daz - 11-11-2008 at 21:32

Quote:
Well, I've also found this... ?

Very nice as well, and I believe Sony have a decent reputation...?

Going back to the Acer, I've bought via friends and all that, probably about 10-12 now over the last few years, and I've had no problems with any of them...

My cousin did have a Acer TFT screen that was faulty in the three warranty, and it was repaired within days. (IIRC he said back with him after about a week.)

Can you stop putting these temptations in my way please...! ;)

LSemmens - 12-11-2008 at 09:44

I've had three lappies in three days to fix at one stage. Acer, HP, and Toshiba, guess which was easiest, and it wan't Acer or HP, the next easiest wasn't Toshiba or Acer. So the one that was most trouble, you got it, ACER! Unless they've improved their software setup, there was nothing on the box to tell me how to create a recovery CD, despite the fact that they didn't supply one. If are looking at ACER, get the salesman to show you how to create the CD or you could be in deep do dos thime a reload comes about.

Daz - 12-11-2008 at 13:24

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I've had three lappies in three days to fix at one stage. Acer, HP, and Toshiba, guess which was easiest, and it wan't Acer or HP, the next easiest wasn't Toshiba or Acer. So the one that was most trouble, you got it, ACER! Unless they've improved their software setup, there was nothing on the box to tell me how to create a recovery CD, despite the fact that they didn't supply one. If are looking at ACER, get the salesman to show you how to create the CD or you could be in deep do dos thime a reload comes about.

ALT + F10 takes you directly to the Recovery Partition...

janet - 12-11-2008 at 13:32

Quote:

I've read this three times and I'm afraid I still have no clue what you mean.... I gather you're not keen on Acers.

janet - 12-11-2008 at 22:00

I went for this, in the end

Thanks for the help! :)

Daz - 13-11-2008 at 01:05

Quote:
I went for this, in the end

Thanks for the help! :)

kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 13-11-2008 at 09:46

I was being obtuse, you are correct in that I'm no fan of the Acer, but, by the same token, my experience with Acer Lappies is limited.

Thanks for the info DAZ, there was nowt on the ACER website that even came close to telling me this and the lappie certainly wouldn't. Hopefully I'll never need to remember that, but then, if I need to, I hope I do!

Daz - 13-11-2008 at 10:12

Quote:
Thanks for the info DAZ, there was nowt on the ACER website that even came close to telling me this and the lappie certainly wouldn't. Hopefully I'll never need to remember that, but then, if I need to, I hope I do!

Google will always tell you...