Karl`s PC Help Forums

"Remanufactured" Ink!!
Nimuae - 8-11-2008 at 19:39

So many of my friends seemed to think that I was mad for always buying original inks - I decided to give compatibles a try - and wish I hadn't bothered!!!

Bought two cartridges for my Canon Pixma 150, a black, and a colour one, from http://www.printerinks.com. They were described as 'remanufactured', and compatible with my canon printer.

Installed them this morning, tried to print out a document and received the following message:-

"The following ink cartridges cannot be recognised - Black, Colour. Printing cannot be executed because the ink cartridge may not be compatible with this printer. Install the appropriate cartridge/s."

I removed them, and put back the originals - the printer then gave the message that these were both empty, and refused to print. So here I am, 38s poorer, up the creek without a printer, and a document needed for a deadline, that I am now going to have to pay to print elsewhere!!

Any advice Guys ???

I have tried to contact the retailer. The telephone was on answerphone - the kind that doesn't take messages - so I have emailed them. Received a standard "we are dealing with your enquiry" reply.

I wish I had paid the extra and bought the 'real' ones now!!

Dreamweaver - 8-11-2008 at 20:37

It depends how old your printer is really Nim, I wouldn't use anything other than originals while the printer is under a warranty.

As the world of PC's/printers etc move so fast that after 12 months the originial ink is probably worth more than the printer, as seen here

I would, if I were you look for a new printer. :(

scholar - 8-11-2008 at 20:59

Some time ago (perhaps a year?), I remember the Kodak company had an advertizing campaign promoting their new line of printers, which used LESS EXPENSIVE INK. If you do decide to buy another printer, they might be worth a look.

I used to have an HP printer for which I could refill the ink cartridge myself by ink injection, and I was happy with it. It served me for some years, and was used already when I got it. The HP printer I use now requires that I take it in to a drug store to have the cartridge refilled for $10 each time. My software complains that it can't read how full the cartridge is, but it nonetheless prints.:D

Faolan - 8-11-2008 at 21:15

If you're printing business graphics/text then a laser printer might be more economical.

If you're producing photographic or hi-res graphics then ink jets are the only real solution.

As to your problem, try cleaning the contacts on both the cartridges and the contact points in the printer. Use Isopropynol on a lint free cloth.

For reference I never ever recommend refills no matter the age (well unless you can afford a direct replacement printer) as they cause more problems than they solve. I see this daily in my job. Laser printers are generally 'safer' even then the lifespan of them can be less.

Nimuae - 8-11-2008 at 23:26

Thanks everyone for your comments - I reckon I will have to invest in a new printer. This one is two years old now, and has been brilliant, so I will be sad to part with it - but - it is my own fault, no use crying over spilled ink! I will never, ever, use anything other than originals again !

Nimuae - 8-11-2008 at 23:28

Hi Faolan,

Yes - it is graphics that I use it for the most - I design and make cards, so it certainly has been well used, and performed brilliantly. I could kick myself - very hard - for being led astray this way!

Daz - 9-11-2008 at 02:07

I've never had joy with compatibles either, I know people who have, just they never like me... ;)

I stick to originals myself, and Canon printers, don't think I'd buy any other make TBH.

I'd hazard a guess, that the chip needs resetting on the cart/printer to make it work again... Most ink firms I've dealt with (all firms TBH) have always been willing to help sort any problems though...

scholar - 9-11-2008 at 07:25

Daz, since the prompt tells Nim to get an original cartridge, won't that fix her up properly?

(Unless, Nim, you are telling us that the original cartridges are no longer available locally, and you must buy another printer locally because of time constraints.)

Please comment, because I am cheap, and the thought that Nim might be buying a new printer when she only needs a new oem cartridge is distressing.:D:P:P

Nimuae - 9-11-2008 at 08:09

It refused to recognise it's own original cartridges when I put them back in Scholar. I know they were nearly empty - but it should have read them and given me a chart/warning to that end. Instead it just put up the message that it could not find any cartridge - and refused to budge ! Hopefully the retailer will exchange these compatibles for the 'real' ones, and that may sort it out. May have to do a re-install or something for the printer. If that doesn't work ........ ???

Daz - 9-11-2008 at 11:31

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Daz, since the prompt tells Nim to get an original cartridge, won't that fix her up properly?

No, as I already said, I suspect the chip needs resetting...

Best way is to wait for Nim' to hear back from the Ink firm... They know far more about these things than I do...

LSemmens - 9-11-2008 at 12:04

There is a process that you must go though to "convince" the printer to accept the aftermarket cartridges. I use re-inks in my MP500 exclusively now, and do not have any problems. If you contact the cartridge manufacturer, you'll find them extremely helpful and sympathetic to your plight. I had a long talk to a representative of Calidad who make compatibles for all sorts of printers. If their cartridge causes problems, they will go out of their way to resolve it.

Early in the piece, re-inks were a pain in the posterior, but if a third party cartridge is available now, I'll use it. I even print glossy photos with no problems. The only qualifier would be that if you are doing this for a living and require a consistent result, Always use a good brand ink, either OEM or a well regarded substitute. Some third party suppliers even provide bulk ink delivery systems so that you do not need to replace cartridges every five minutes.