Karl`s PC Help Forums

Word Processing Query
Nimuae - 2-9-2008 at 21:49

How can I make text run vertically up the side of a document - like a border - without being enclosed in a text box ? Is it even possible?

I am wanting to make invitations with 'Eat, drink, and be Merry' round the edges.

John_Little - 3-9-2008 at 10:18

I think you'd need something like publisher to do that. I dont think word would allow it; anyway, things like that are so complicated in Word.

Complete doddle in Publisher.

John_Little - 3-9-2008 at 10:30

Apparently you can use word art in word:-

Show All
Hide All
On the Drawing toolbar, click Insert WordArt .
Note The Drawing toolbar appears in the lower left corner of the program window. If you don't see the Drawing toolbar, on the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Drawing.

Click the WordArt (WordArt: Text objects you create with ready-made effects to which you can apply additional formatting options.) effect you want, and then click OK.
In the Edit WordArt Text dialog box, type the text you want.
Do any of the following:
To change the font type, in the Font list, select a font.
To change the font size, in the Size list, select a size.
To make text bold, click the Bold button.
To make text italic, click the Italic button.

John_Little - 3-9-2008 at 10:34

No. That's rubbish and you cant move it where you want it.

janet - 3-9-2008 at 11:34

Honestly, John - it's easy in word, you just have to use a table - as I suggested. :)

Once you have text in a table, there's a tool bar option to change direction of text - leave word art well alone, it's not for things like this.

/EDIT

Sorry - I didn't realise there were two threads asking the same thing! See the other thread for my original answer.

Nimuae - 3-9-2008 at 12:14

Quote:
Originally posted by janet

/EDIT

Sorry - I didn't realise there were two threads asking the same thing! See the other thread for my original answer.

LOL, my fault - I put it in PC Chat first, then thought it would be more appropriate in PC Help - sorry for confusing everyone.

Nimuae - 3-9-2008 at 12:17

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
No. That's rubbish and you cant move it where you want it.

Janet's suggestion of using Tables in Word has worked brilliantly John, so the problem is solved. Thank you for trying to help though, it is much appreciated.

John_Little - 3-9-2008 at 18:19

As a webmaster for our branch website. I should have thought of that.