Karl`s PC Help Forums

I just LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE XP!
Redwolf5150 - 28-8-2008 at 16:52

Okay, in the course of the move, we realized our two computers weren't going to be realistically networked using our router and 25 foot ethernet cable.

Stupid me, I thought I'd just install a wireless adaptor through a usb port.

NOT SMART!

First off, somehow our Linksys router somehow DIED in the move. How it happened or what happened to it, I don't know.

Second, after spending a total of THREE HOURS over two days on the phone with India, errrrrrr, Linksys tech support, (and being HUNG UP ON TWICE) I was told the problem was with my ISP.

Nevermind that Jackie's computer could connect to the Internet while plugged directly to the cable modem!

After an hour on the phone with our cable tech support, turns out the NICE people in India (errrrrrrr, Linksys Tech Support) had me royally screw up my computer somehow.

So yesterday, one of the owners of the newspaper I work for gave me a BRAND NEW Netgear router, still in the shrinkwrap.

We got it working through Jackie's computer, which is running Win 98.

Still couldn't get my computer to connect through our 25 foot ethernet cable (after moving my machine where it would JUST reach).

I've been futzing with it for three hours and finally said *aha!*

I hopped in my Delorean and traveled back two weeks and fixed the problem with one restart.

GOT to love restore points!

Now The Enterprise is back online and I'm off to return the Linksys wireless adaptor and getting a 50-foot ethernet cable.

I will NEVER buy another piece of their gear again as long as I live!

rant0000

Dreamweaver - 28-8-2008 at 16:55

If Karl was here he could "talk" you through, but as all you have is me,:P LONG LIVE BIG CABLES!!!!!!!

Redwolf5150 - 28-8-2008 at 17:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
If Karl was here he could "talk" you through, but as all you have is me,:P LONG LIVE BIG CABLES!!!!!!!

I love you Dot.

I solved the problem, which is the important thing.

Not as elegant a solution as the K-Man might have been able to whip up, but I solves it all by my itty bitty self.

Jackie will be so pleased.

Especially since there will be a difference in our favor for the price of the cable over the worthless Internet adapter. (I wanted to go with the big cable in the first place but SWMBO overruled that idea.)

:D

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 18:10

A friend of mine had a similar problem, the restore did not work for him, so I suggested restoring on safe mode - talked it through on the phone, worked fine. Perhaps it's something to do with the new Win XP SP3 update?

Daz - 28-8-2008 at 20:50

Do you use ZoneAlarm Red...?

IMHO, you can't beat Linksys, and you can't buy better. Never had a problem with them...! (Admittedly I haven't used their call centre. Only the "LiveChat".) :P

janet - 28-8-2008 at 21:36

Seconded for Lynksys - not only that, but their help desk treats me like an intelligent person, and is actually HELPFUL!

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 21:39

I use Netgear - never had to phone them upkewl_glasses

scholar - 28-8-2008 at 23:02

Redwolf, congratulations on getting something to work. :banana):banana):banana)
Anything you're satisfied with is a job well done. And, you may go wireless with some future computer, at some future date. Right now, with the stress of the move, you don't need more changes.;)

marymary100 - 28-8-2008 at 23:31

We're wireless with Belkin. The teen set it up with one phonecall to an Indian callcentre which was very helpful. 10 minutes in total I think.

LSemmens - 29-8-2008 at 13:39

D-Link here and never a problem.

Redwolf5150 - 29-8-2008 at 13:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Perhaps it's something to do with the new Win XP SP3 update?

I haven't installed that as I have heard from several people it causes more problems than it fixes.

kewl_glasses

CrazieMom - 4-9-2008 at 23:21

I'm a positive vote for Linksys. I've had my router for a very long time and it still works fine.. Ok, before I knew how to do things myself I had to call India a couple times.. If I had a nickle for every time I said "Uh, what?".... But I did manage to translate and got it all working.. So they don't speak English, the router is a good one and it's on it's 3rd computer and 3rd modem so it's one thing I haven't had to replace and I'm happy about that...

There is NOTHING wrong with the big cable and YEAH for fixing it yourself! Restore points, you kow I love 'em.. They've bailed me out of many of the jams I brought on myself..

Daz - 5-9-2008 at 09:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Perhaps it's something to do with the new Win XP SP3 update?

I haven't installed that as I have heard from several people it causes more problems than it fixes.

kewl_glasses

I've not had any problems with sp3. It's not like when they released sp2 which they tried to do too much with, sp3 is just an amalgamation of previous updates plus one of two minor tweaks.

I've got it on all my rigs, and all rigs that pass through here go back with it on too...