Karl`s PC Help Forums

Find the "Three-fingered salute" a bit of a chore?
Katzy - 6-8-2008 at 00:17

How much better would it be, if you clicked an icon in your Quick Launch, had a list of all running process appear and have a single click on any of those processes, kill it?

How much betterstill, if that program was free?

Look no further.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Software/ProcessKO&language=english

Works like a charm. :D:D:D:D

scholar - 6-8-2008 at 00:43

I have several programs that launch themselves in the background, and I have not bothered to block them from being self-launched. Instead, I just "salute" off the ones I'm sure I won't use on a particular session.

This looks very useful.

thankingyou

P.S. Do you know which versions of Windows are compatible with it?

scholar - 6-8-2008 at 00:46

Quote:
WARNING !
Senseless process KO's / program kills' is not recommended , particularly without necessary knowledge.
Should I be worried about this?

I can get it in Hebrew if I want. Cool. [Fun, if I want to impress my theologian friends with how practical my knowledge of Hebrew can be. roffle roffle]

Daz - 6-8-2008 at 01:14

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:
WARNING !
Senseless process KO's / program kills' is not recommended , particularly without necessary knowledge.
Should I be worried about this?

Please don't take this the wrong way...

But if you have to ask, I'd guess this app is not for you...

scholar - 6-8-2008 at 02:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Please don't take this the wrong way...

But if you have to ask, I'd guess this app is not for you...
I did ask, Daz, so I can hardly be upset at an honest, tactful answer.:)

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my question. If the worst this application might do is freeze my OS, so I have to reboot, I am willing to try it. But, if it changes what is on the hard drive so that I might not be able to reboot, I think I would do well to pass.

The screen message might just mean, "Don't use the program indiscriminately--only eliminate programs if you don't want them running just now.":D

Katzy - 6-8-2008 at 10:03

None of that, Scholar.

The worst that can happen is that you have to reboot.

If you stop, say, a critical Windoze process (Like, say, Services.exe), the system might shut down, itself.

You won't do any permanent damage to your machine.

victor - 6-8-2008 at 16:57

ProcessKO is for professionals and experienced users, with very good PC know-how (knowledge) !

I think the answer to your question was in the first paragraph Scholar.;)

What I have to ask myself "am I one of the above?" smokin:

Katzy - 6-8-2008 at 19:53

That warning's pants, to be honest.

My cat could figure it out, I feel sure.

By the way, if anybody doesn't know how to get an icon in the Quick-Launch area, just create a shortcut on the desktop and drag it there. You might need to "Unlock" the taskbar, move the slider to the right, so you can see everything, then relock it.

You can delete the one on your desktop, when you've done it, if thou dost so wish.