Karl`s PC Help Forums

Permanent move to Ubuntu made!
Daz - 2-8-2008 at 15:56

Well, on the laptop anyway!

I've given Windows the flick, and made the permanent transition to Ubuntu on my Lappy. It's running better than it ever has TBH I think.

Just about got things setup how I want, and I'm happy.

Still got one or two things to do, but I don't see a Windows install ever appearing on this laptop again. (Touch wood) (Though I have kept 5gb aside in case of emergencies where I might need to install XP)

Just thought I'd share that. ;)

Ubuntu 8.4.1 btw, if anybody is interested...

It's taken some fiddling I'll admit, and plenty of digging and reading, but nothing too taxing.

kewl_glasses

Katzy - 2-8-2008 at 20:45

I have that on one of the drives I use with my caddies.

I'm still trying to work out how to install some programs, but it's a lot more user-friendly than Windoze.

Daz - 2-8-2008 at 23:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I have that on one of the drives I use with my caddies.

I'm still trying to work out how to install some programs, but it's a lot more user-friendly than Windoze.

I've managed ok so far, but then again, the lappy doesn't do taxing things, so maybe I've slipped under the radar a bit...

Flash is working just fine in Opera though, so bonus! smokin:

And all the network side of things is running happily, inc' the printer share. (Once I'd config'd the firewall properly! D'oh!) ;)

Katzy - 3-8-2008 at 12:46

Installing some stuff, like Opera, I find a doddle.

Yestrday, though, I tried "Doom Legacy", as you do.

Not a Scooby, mate. De-arched the tar/gz and there was nothing to even hint at installing the bugger. confused2

Sadly, a search in the package manager drew a blank. Sad, coz that would've auto-installed it.

Daz - 3-8-2008 at 13:13

It looks like there's a couple tools in Synaptics mate... Might be worth a fiddle....? (Look for Doom)

Katzy - 3-8-2008 at 15:45

I did that and Legacy just wasn't there. :(

LSemmens - 4-8-2008 at 13:44

I've got Ubuntu installed on one of my spare machines, along with a good selection of programs. The only thing I am having trouble with is getting it to talk to the 'net (dial up). I can log on and register, but nothing, not e-mail, synaptics, or firefox will even acknowledge that there is an open connection! When I finally go back onto broadband, I'll try again, meantime, Ubuntu will be a toy that I play with when the mood takes.

Katzy - 4-8-2008 at 18:35

That's odd. Mine connected without any input, from me.

Mick Johnson - 4-8-2008 at 20:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
That's odd. Mine connected without any input, from me.

Mine did too. :)

I'm finding it hard to work out how to install anything really but I keep having a go with it.

Can't get Skype to work properly yet either. :(

If I could easily install the likes of Photoshop etc, I would dump Windows in a flash.

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. :D

Katzy - 4-8-2008 at 21:05

I think it's a case of learning, mate. The synaptic thingy's useful, but I need to persevere with it, to figure how it works, properly.

Most stuff's a doddle to install, manually. Some, though, I just can't figure.

There're quite a few Linux program sites about and the Ubuntu forum looks useful, too, if I'm allowed to mention that, here.

Mick Johnson - 4-8-2008 at 21:45

Sometimes I feel like I don't want to learn any more progs. :D

My Ubuntu is playing up bigtime atm. It's very slow when scrolling and I mean slow, same dragging a window, and super slow when trying to view pic's.

Also lock's up all the time.

Just like Windows then. :D

Looks like another format job.

Katzy - 4-8-2008 at 22:18

All part of the learning-curve, innit?

We've got so used to the dinosaur that is Windows, I guess.

I'm still praying for an Amiga OS for the IBM-compatible, me. :D

Daz - 5-8-2008 at 08:48

The Ubuntu forums wil get you most help usually, whether that's by asking a question yourself, or by searching....

It's buzy however, so don't get downhearted if you don't get a response straightaway. Even the search can take ages, because it'll bring up many possible hits usually...!

It's helped me loads I must admit. (Though I think I've only asked one or two questions myself, most of my answers have come from searching, and searching, and searching....!

I've just installed an app called Ubuntu Tweak which looks at first glance like it might be useful, especially if you're still looking for that "Wiindows" feeling...

Katzy - 5-8-2008 at 09:04

I just had one of those moments...

I wonder if there's an Amiga emulator for Ubuntu...?

That could make things interesting, coz the Windoze version lets you fiddle with the Windoze environment through the emulator.

Could be interestin', that.

Off for a mooch.

LSemmens - 5-8-2008 at 14:06

Katzy and Mick. You claim that Ubuntu allowed you onto the 'net with little or no input from you. I'm betting my lefty that you are both on broadband. Try it with dial up.

scholar - 5-8-2008 at 14:20

What is a doddle? Is it a good experience, or a bad one? Easy, or hard?confused2

LSemmens - 5-8-2008 at 14:36

google is your friend!

Finding a definition was also a doddle!nananana

Mick Johnson - 5-8-2008 at 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Katzy and Mick. You claim that Ubuntu allowed you onto the 'net with little or no input from you. I'm betting my lefty that you are both on broadband. Try it with dial up.

Well I am Leigh, and I'm sure Katzy is.

Actually I've just this minute reinstalled it and I had left the internet cable in the PC and I was online without doing anything.:D

Daz - 5-8-2008 at 20:15

My internet is wireless on the laptop, and that is a pain in the rear to setup, but I got there in the end. (Only trouble was, you needed to download a file, to get it working! lol)

Haven't setup dialup for ages. but could you try sending a fax, just to make sure everything is in order...?

Katzy - 5-8-2008 at 23:49

Quote:

Sod that for a lark!

Yeah, I know a few people in your neck of the woods, in other fora, who are the same. They're screaming for broadband. They're screaming even louder to get a reliable dialup, too!

When I was on dialup, I used to use Ghostzilla, a lot. Only greyscale and you don't see any images, unless you want to. Limited experience, of course. But, it didn't 'arf speed things up!

For reasons that I no nothing of, a gecko-based browser called K-Meleon used to be a lot faster than all the others, for me.

It's quite basic, but it goes like the brown stuff off a shovel.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net

Windoze only, sadly.

As most web servers use Linux, would it follow that a Linux distro would be faster, net-wise, than Winderz?

LSemmens - 7-8-2008 at 14:19

When I finally go back onto BB, I'm certain that Ubuntu will become my OS of choice.

Daz - 7-8-2008 at 19:15

Quote:
When I finally go back onto BB, I'm certain that Ubuntu will become my OS of choice.

I'm inclined to agree...

Have you had any success importing data from Outlook, (Calendar, Contacts, Mail, etc) into Evolution, by any chance...? (Or another app of that nature, maybe...?)

LSemmens - 8-8-2008 at 13:05

Not tried that yet as, if I can't get the 'net working as yet, there is no point. My biggest concerns will be re-writing much of my code to work with Open Orifice!