Karl`s PC Help Forums

My new Inspiron 1720
TooCute4Words - 29-7-2008 at 21:31

I was moaning & moaning about running out of space on my last 5 year old Packard Bell laptop computer which had such a small hard-drive I was starting to go insane :o

Anyway, I have bought this,

[bad img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/laptop_vtsg/lt_dell_inspiron_1720_f.jpg[/bad img]

I was advised strongly to opt for Dell and the Inspiron is being championed - so I hear?

I could have bought the standard one for 429 direct from Dell. But instead I was visiting Curry's superstore and saw the bigger better version, so I said goodbye to 600 shocked_yellow and hello to the new computer.

It took ages to get online, as AOL were having some problems at there end and I had to wait for the new wireless router. I was lucky enough to get my monthly subscription of 17.99 reduced to 12.99...

It took me to buy a new computer, just to get offered that new deal.....Charming!!!

Anyway, It's a lot better :D

If you Click on this I get a bit annoyed though.

Firstly, they only give the computer 5.9 out of 10

and in America, it's only $799

Well obviously we are getting ripped off in the UK, if that is how much it costs in America.

That's ridiculous imo

Daz - 30-7-2008 at 01:14

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCute4Words

That's ridiculous imo

No more than you spending 600 quid on a Dell... </snigger>

SRD - 30-7-2008 at 07:05

Both MrsSRD and myself have Dells and we're very happy with them, but both were picked up in Dell's own bargain basement at a time when the specs for our particular models weren't up to the demand for games abilities (in my case) or Vista (in MrsSRD's case). Mine is a couple of years older than hers and is well below her spec although it cost more than hers originally. But I wouldn't use AOL if you paid me.

Quaver - 30-7-2008 at 07:24

Nice looking PC, it looks like it has webcam?

TooCute4Words - 30-7-2008 at 18:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:

That's ridiculous imo

I can't help it if that is what they charge in the UK for that computer. :(

What I don't understand is why it's so cheap in the U.S?

btw, I could have bought one of these on Ebay for a lot less, but it's one of those return-to-manufacturer- jobs, for whatever reason?

The company on Ebay says that they check every product they sell and offer a 3 months guarantee, but instead I opted for the new one from Curry's with a years guarantee instead.

TooCute4Words - 30-7-2008 at 18:21

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Both MrsSRD and myself have Dells and we're very happy with them, but both were picked up in Dell's own bargain basement at a time when the specs for our particular models weren't up to the demand for games abilities (in my case) or Vista (in MrsSRD's case). Mine is a couple of years older than hers and is well below her spec although it cost more than hers originally. But I wouldn't use AOL if you paid me.

I know that AOL get some bad press from everyone I ask on forums, but to me it suffices.

TooCute4Words - 30-7-2008 at 18:23

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD

I know that AOL get some bad press from everyone I ask on forums, but to me it suffices.

TooCute4Words - 30-7-2008 at 18:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

Thanks Quaver waveysmiley

It does have a webcam. I'll have to try it sometime.

TooCute4Words - 30-7-2008 at 18:28

Quote:

TooCute4Words - 30-7-2008 at 18:29

Quote:

marymary100 - 30-7-2008 at 18:39

Does that mean you'll be trying it more than once?

Redwolf5150 - 30-7-2008 at 19:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:

That's ridiculous imo

roffle

I know people who have bought Dell's that now call them a word that starts with "H" instead.

My step-son's girlfriend has one. It got badly infected with a virus and they do have the handy capability of being able to be "reset" to what came out of the box without doing a clean install of Windoze.

I borrow it for photo shoots and it works well for me. Personally if I can't have a Mac, make mine Gateway.

You spent the money already, make the best of it.

kewl_glasses