Karl`s PC Help Forums

Whom to notify about criminal attempt e-mail
scholar - 30-6-2008 at 15:59

I just got one of those notorious e-mails, purportedly from the bank, telling me to use a link to go to a web site where I am supposed to "confirm" my bank information for security purposes.

I thought I would like to give a copy of it to some law enforcement authorities, but I don't know who handles such things.

Does anyone know? (I presume it would be different for Americans than for UK or OZ.)

Dreamweaver - 30-6-2008 at 23:08

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I just got one of those notorious e-mails, purportedly from the bank, telling me to use a link to go to a web site where I am supposed to "confirm" my bank information for security purposes.

I thought I would like to give a copy of it to some law enforcement authorities, but I don't know who handles such things.

Does anyone know? (I presume it would be different for Americans than for UK or OZ.)

Personally I just delete them Scholar on outlook express, but my other other provider has a report spam button.

Consider them as junk mail you receive in normal postal deliveries and throw them in the trash.

Daz - 1-7-2008 at 00:27

Indeed, what Dot said...

If it was likely it was aimed personally at you, and no one else, it'd be worth persuing, but lets be honest, it went to thousands of people, if not more...

You could check somewhere like http://www.phishtank.com but I'd guess it's been listed there already...

Save your time and energy for more important tasks...!

Quaver - 1-7-2008 at 09:58

I've got tons of those, I just delete them.

John_Little - 1-7-2008 at 10:33

There used to be a system for reporting these things - run on a voluntary basis by some of the ISPs but there were so many of these things they couldn't cope and they seem to have withdrawn the service.

You can sometimes find out what ISP they came from by using something like RIPE (although I think that's gone now too) then you could report the user to them.

But the police dont want to know. Apparently most of them come from Russia. With love.

SRD - 1-7-2008 at 10:46

And many of them come from perfectly respectable addresses (I even received one purportedly from myself shocked_yellow) that have either been hijacked or are being used as a smokescreen to get round spam filters.

Wasn't that one of the reasons T got blocked by many other ISPs a few months back?

Katzy - 1-7-2008 at 11:36

If you set filters, in something like MailWasher, you can even hide them from view.

That way, you never even see 'em. They just get automagically blatted. :D

LSemmens - 1-7-2008 at 13:01

In the first instance, if it is purportedly from a bank of whom you have knowledge, inform them, they are always interested in people purporting to be from their institution.

Daz - 1-7-2008 at 14:03

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
In the first instance, if it is purportedly from a bank of whom you have knowledge, inform them, they are always interested in people purporting to be from their institution.

What could they do about it...? Very little I'd say...

Banks are fully aware of these scams, hence the reason they always tell you to never to reply to this sort of thing, and that they'd only ever contact you personally. (E.G. Email sent specifically to Mr Daz, not an open email, and they'd never ask you for any account details in an email...)

John_Little - 2-7-2008 at 11:27

I've just found this in my book marks and it still works

http://www.antiphishing.org/

That could well be worth a go.