Karl`s PC Help Forums

Can you believe it.
delanti - 22-6-2008 at 04:28

A friend told my sister that she was having problems with her computer, it seemed awful slow and wondered if I might take a look at it.

Do you know how many nasties can get on a computer when they are running XP and using IE with no AV, no spyware program and no bot program?

After 4 hours I was finally able to get AV downloaded and installed and was able to run it in safe mode. The good news is there were no viruses but adware and tracking cookies were running rampant. And she is going to have to live without the 4, yes 4 search toolbars she had. I think she had installed every "free" computer scanning/enhancing program she came across.

The worst part is I worked on that same computer 2 years ago and installed FF, Thunderbird, Free AVG, Adaware and easyclean on it. I have no idea what she did with those things.

Ought to be a law against that. :smash):smash):comp):comp)

Daz - 22-6-2008 at 12:30

Does your head in that does... Especially when you've already sorted it previously...!

finchart - 25-6-2008 at 13:09

you can fix the computer but not the user.confused2

LSemmens - 26-6-2008 at 13:28

Fix the box, set an admin password that only you know. Set her up as a limited user and give her the box back. She sounds like a "click this and see what it does" person, also threaten to charge her treble the going rate if the problem reoccurs.

fickelo - 21-10-2008 at 23:28

Sounds like you may need a new sister.I heard your 1 of your sons will be the same way !!!:Plips_sealednananana

DeWitch - 22-10-2008 at 00:29

Quote:
Originally posted by fickelo
Sounds like you may need a new sister.I heard your 1 of your sons will be the same way !!!:Plips_sealednananana

thought he said it was a friend who TOLD his sister -
yup -
know he said that

delanti - 22-10-2008 at 15:23

Quote:
Originally posted by fickelo

Don't you have anything better to do than post on here? Go watch a Havoc game or something. nananana