Karl`s PC Help Forums

Poser for you.
Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 16:01

When booting, my machine's been a bit on the flakey side, of late.

Every time, you could hear the fans starting and the hard disks unparking.

However, the light on the monitor stayed orange and nothing else would happen.

Hitting the reset switch would, eventually, get it fired-up.

Sometimes at the third attempt (Never before that). But, sometimes, it would take fifty-to-a hundred goes.

I SEEM to have fixed it.

What do you think it was?

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 16:17

OK, I'll start. Was it a poorly-seated video card?

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 17:05

Nope. First thing I thought of.

I replaced it and the problem persisted.

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 17:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
In case this is a hint--was it an actual flakey?:)

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 17:40

Nope. It was metaphorically so.

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 17:52

It could be that the socket into which the video cable was plugged had a problem--loose, poorly connected, corrosion, dirty.

Katzy, if you wish, I could leave this alone until others have a chance to play. I don't know if we are low in numbers right now, or if seveal of our people are invisible.

I could see Quaver taking a run at this.:D

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 17:59

Well, this has been happening for quite a while and it's had me totally flummoxed.

I replaced the GFX card, the RAM and the power supply, to no avail.

No POST. No BIOS. Logic dictated that the GFX card had died. But, as I said, it wasn't that.

Today, whilst fiddling about with the machine, I accidentally broke something quite trivial. Cost me a tenner to replace.

The machine's booted fine, since. Mind you, that's only been three times. I might have just got lucky and this thread could be total rubbish. :D

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 18:29

So, you don't actually know the answer, either, except to rule out the things you checked?drop_down

If that's the case, hitting it with the proverbial mallet might have fixed it!:o:o:o

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 19:06

No. I just rebooted and it went fine.

So, this is the only thing I've actually changed.

To be honest, if someone told me this story, I'd tell them that they're loopy.

I really wouldn't believe it could be what it was.

Thinking on it, though, I guess there may be something in it, after all.

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 19:25

Should I understand this to mean the other thing you fixed is not random, but actually fixed the problem in a way you have appreciated in hindsight?

So, the puzzle is still open to figure out?:)

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 19:30

Yep. I broke a physical part of this thing and replaced it.

The problem magically disappeared.

This thing isn't what you'd think of as "Mission-critical" (To quote dear old RubberSideUp).

It IS critical, though.

In a way, it COULD be classed as a loose connection, but not in the normal way.

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 19:37

Aha! The ground was not reliable. ??

That's how an American might say it. Do Brits say it wasn't earthed, or something like that?

Specifically, I'm thinking of the grounding connection that goes through the chassis. Is that specific enough?

Or am I mistaken?smokin:

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 19:41

Yep, we call it "Earth".

Nope, it wasn't that.

Nothing to do with wiring, at all.

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 19:43

Topcat is on the list, now. He will probably get it before I do . . .

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 19:51

Now KOUROSH is on the list! He is always an active poster on PC topics. And he is certainly an original thinker.

If inspiration doesn't come to me soon, it will be over.

Unless KOUROSH or Topcat make a suggestion that doesn't quite finish the topic, but points me in the right direction.

DUM DUM DUM! [suspenseful music]

Topcat - 7-6-2008 at 19:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

Every time, you could hear the fans starting and the hard disks unparking.

However, the light on the monitor stayed orange and nothing else would happen.

Hitting the reset switch would, eventually, get it fired-up.

Sometimes at the third attempt (Never before that). But, sometimes, it would take fifty-to-a hundred goes.

I SEEM to have fixed it.

What do you think it was?

Well, not really my scene, but logic (to me anyway) would seem to indicate that the problem was in, or with, the monitor in as much as you say the light stayed orange, (no signal) and you had ruled out the graphics card.
Beyond that I can't think of anything that costs less than a tenner. except a plug. unless it was the on/off/reset switch.
but then would you include that as wiring, which you ruled out.

Topcat.

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 20:19

Nope. None of that stuff.

Think on it this way...

If something came on, but, for some reason, the system didn't think it WAS on, for whatever reason, the machine would say "Uh-oh. That's not working. That could cause serious problems. I ain't gonna start nuffin'. No way."

As I said, it could've been pure luck, but it kinda makes sense, to me, having thought about it.

scholar - 7-6-2008 at 20:48

Did a fan malfunction?confused2

You mentioned the hard drives and fans whirred--did the floppy drive malfunction? That could be a kink in the ribbon to the floppy drive, or a bad connection at either end. Or, it could be a problem in the floppy drive itself.

A geek like you might have some more exotic legacy media device--an Iomega data tape deck, or an Iomega zip disk drive. But ten pounds wouldn't replace it, if you even would replace such a thing.:)

Katzy - 7-6-2008 at 20:57

You've kinda got it. :D

The paste between the fan and the heatsink had gone hard.

Well fathomed that wrong-side-of-the-ponder!!

LSemmens - 8-6-2008 at 12:57

Heat would have done that, but a cold boot would work fine. I was thinking more along the lines of a dud USB port. Like what happens when someone gets too frisky plugging stuff in or unplugging. They aren't the most robust devices in Computerdom and it has been know to have the power rail on a USB port connect to earth which, in effect, drags the 5v rail down hence no boot, no power, no nuffin'.