Karl`s PC Help Forums

impossible to fix
finchart - 15-5-2008 at 18:50

i'd like to share an experience i had last week.
a work mate of my wife asked her if i could wipe her hard drive and reinstal windows xp for her as she had a virus on her computer which kept turning the pc off every 10 mins.
so i went round and as i suspected the culpret was a badly dust packed cpu heatsink. i cleaned it out, reinfitted it and this cured the problem.
i then scaned the computer with her mcaffee antivirus, addaware and search bot, but found no virus, but she was adament there was a virus so i reluctantly reformatted the c and d partitions and reinstaled windows. everything worked fine. as she was i friend of my wife's i accepted no payment, and left her to reinstal all her software, which she was happy to do.
on monday at work she stopped my wife and told her that the virus was back, but as she instaled no software and does not have the internet connected ,she says,this baffles me. confused2 i have to conclud shes a nut, or very suseptable to media scare stories.

so the moral of this tale are two fold;

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

and

no good deed goes unpunished.

you can fix the pc but not the user.waveysmiley

giron - 15-5-2008 at 20:57

Quote:
Originally posted by finchart

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

and

no good deed goes unpunished.

you can fix the pc but not the user.waveysmiley

That's very true, which is why I'd only attempt fix a computer problem for a family member or a very close friend.

Life's too short for the sort of hastle you've had.

waveysmiley

LSemmens - 16-5-2008 at 11:46

There's one in every box. How long has she had computers? How many viruses has she had with all those computers? How were they fixed? I'd suspect she's more a "click this and see what it does" person who changes settings, and doesn't think that it has any effect. She probably also deletes programs by dragging them to the trash rather than using "add/remove". A little education may save you some hassles, or may create some more, especially if she "knows it all". Good luck!

Katzy - 17-5-2008 at 09:47

Tell her to fit a new PSU... [bad img]http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/devil-naughty.gif[/bad img]

Quaver - 17-5-2008 at 10:06

New PC?:D

ErraticToad - 20-5-2008 at 00:31

Agree with katzy - if the problem is back and she genuinely hasn't added anything then change the PSU as a start.

But best of luck.

As to fixing the PC and not the user - in my former life I always claimed as a PC engineer that 90% of my job was to fix the user and the remainder was actually doing what I was paid for.

finchart - 20-5-2008 at 11:20

perhaps they should include a psychology module in pc repair:D

Nimuae - 20-5-2008 at 11:29

Maybe she fancies you !

John Barnes - 20-5-2008 at 13:26

Up date the virus , turn off system restore. run a virus check . once told all clear turn the system restore back on
anti virus does not check within the restore points so you can clean all you want and still re infect the computer as soon as you get going again , make sure the restore is turned off , jmb

finchart - 22-5-2008 at 19:03

thats realy nice of you Nimuae, but i've go a face only my mother could love, i hopewaveysmiley

LSemmens - 23-5-2008 at 14:10

So, finchart, have you managed to fix her yet?

finchart - 24-5-2008 at 17:09

yes, i've come up with the ultimate fix; whenever she rings, i'm out.waveysmiley

Katzy - 24-5-2008 at 20:50

:D

LSemmens - 25-5-2008 at 11:18

I can identify with that!