Karl`s PC Help Forums

Online backup
janet - 14-4-2008 at 12:13

I want to use such a service - but have no idea which...

Mozy has been suggested - good, bad, indifferent?

TIA...

Katzy - 14-4-2008 at 19:57

Some people simply e-mail stuff to themselves at G-Mail, or Yahoo mail, as they allow such large inboxes.

Me? I wouldn't trust any of them.

I have four hard disks and clone two of them to the other two.

Much safer, easier and quicker.

Daz - 14-4-2008 at 20:03

Free, or paid for service?

File size limitations?

Type of files? (EG, mainly text type documents, or image/video, etc?)

I use Rapidshare personally. Reliable, and quick. (Pretty cheap too, though not free.)

Literally a storage location only, or a place to store, and then share files between colleagues?

If the former, then I guess you could just use some free webspace, that usually get's supplied as part of your ISP package...?

Or maybe you want something a bit more secure?

janet - 14-4-2008 at 20:11

I do email stuff but often I have files that are well over the 50 meg limit of some email programmes.

I, too, have multiple hard drives - but most of them are in this house, which isn't a LOT of help if something catastrophic happens to the house.

I don't want to be able to share files with colleagues (googlegroups works for that, if the files are reasonable sizes). Just store and retrieve.

Thanks for the recommendation, Daz, I'll have a look!

Katzy - 14-4-2008 at 20:16

If you like the idea of Rapidshare, you might prefer "BigUpload", coz they allow much bigger files to be stored.

http://www.bigupload.com Beware of pr0n ads, though.

Trouble with those sites, though, is that they delete the files, after a certain time has elapsed, without them being downloaded.

Unless you pay them for their premium services, obviously.

DMWright - 14-4-2008 at 20:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I have four hard disks and clone two of them to the other two.

Just don't keep them in the same location as your computer... or they will be no use if your house is burgled / burns down.

Katzy - 14-4-2008 at 20:23

Two of them are in caddies. :D

janet - 14-4-2008 at 20:57

Wry grin.

I tell my students - do not come to me and say, "I lost all my work".

Five minutes of work,yes - more, no.

If you do not back it up, you do not care about it.

If you back it up next to the main computer, you do not care about it.

If you do not back it up in another room - you do not care about it....

Daz - 14-4-2008 at 21:18

Some other alternatives Janet...

http://adrive.com/

http://www.humyo.com/

http://www.wikiupload.com/

Quaver - 15-4-2008 at 08:56

Quote:
Originally posted by DMWright
burns down.

scared_stiff

LSemmens - 15-4-2008 at 13:53

Quote:
Originally posted by janet

If you do not back it up in another room - you do not care about it....

Sorry, Janet I couldn't resist:

Are you saying that I must take my computer into another room, and then do my backup? How is that different from doing the backup in my office, where my computer resides?

ouch)ouch)ouch)

Just for the novices, Janet is really saying that you don't store you backups in the same location as the machine that you've just backed up! THe best place is a) off site and b) in a fireproof storage container.

janet - 26-4-2008 at 16:07

Well, I went with Mozy in the end.

I have an extra problem - the computer packs up if left idle for ten minutes or so.

I've got it to keep going for over an hour by leaving a music player going... even if the sound is turned off.

So I can't back up a huge amount at once. But I've got that sorted as well - I backed up a smallish amount, then added a bit more, and, as the programme only backs up changed files and new ones, it's getting there - slowly.

But I'm a lot happier now!

LSemmens - 26-4-2008 at 17:24

If the computer is doing silly things if left running, could it be power saving related, i.e. system shutdown if idle for a set period of time? I'd be looking at what screen saver power saving features are enabled and turn them off one by one.

janet - 26-4-2008 at 17:35

I did that when I first raised the issue... :}

LSemmens - 27-4-2008 at 11:01

Does the event log give any indication as to what may be causing the shutdown?

ErraticToad - 20-5-2008 at 00:54

Sorry janet - didn't see your original request - Mozy is excellent.

Support is good - with quick responses.I've never not been able to contact the site and I've been using the service for well over a year now. Restores work flawlessly but so far I've only used the free web restore - can be a little slow in downloads if large files.

If paranoid about security, then change the encryption key to one of your own.

If worried about company longevity - then bear in mind that they have the backing of folks whom have been into data backup for 20yrs.

Additionally - when you refer 4 folks whom start to use it, they give you an extra ˝gb of storage for free. Then every person after that gains you another ˝gb. You could pay $5 per month which gives you unlimited storage.

My referal link is: https://mozy.com/?code=4786R0 if anyone is interested :)

For my part I use it to backup my digital pics. I'm a tad paranoid about these so mozy grabs and uploads and new ones daily. I then make a copy to DVD and then make several copies of the DVD (once I ensure it can be read) and distribute these copies to different locations ....

scholar - 20-5-2008 at 02:31

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Two of them are in caddies. :D
You have Cadillac cars to transport your hard drives? shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

scholar - 20-5-2008 at 02:40

Quote:
Originally posted by ErraticToad
I'm a tad paranoid about these so mozy grabs and uploads and new ones daily. I then make a copy to DVD and then make several copies of the DVD (once I ensure it can be read) and distribute these copies to different locations ....
You are not supposed to hint that you are a government agent working in areas of data that absolutely cannot be lost due to importance to national security. greengringreengringreengrin

LSemmens - 20-5-2008 at 14:06

He hasn't left them sitting on the seats of taxis, or sent them to private citizens, nor, AFAIAA has he lost reams of names and bank details which seems to be a common problem in Pommieland, and I'm certain that other countries also have similar problems. ouch)

Katzy - 20-5-2008 at 19:12

Quote:
Originally posted by scholarYou have Cadillac cars to transport your hard drives? shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Doesn't everybody? :D