Karl`s PC Help Forums

How fussy are you?
LSemmens - 13-4-2008 at 15:45

I've just removed every key from my keyboard and given it a good clean, Does anyone else ever do that?
Admittedly, I only do it every couple of years, but the keyboard feels like new again! My IBM keyboard is now over 10 years old and is still doing good service on my repair bench! The keyboard I'm using to type this is five years old and still feels like new after its latest clean.

TooCute4Words - 13-4-2008 at 17:08

My Laptop is filthy :(

I guess I am not as fussy about the cleanliness of my computer, as I am about other things?

Any good ideas (up anyones sleeve) about the best way to clean a laptops keyboard?

I was going to hoover out the dust and then use a (squeezed out) damp sponge - but I just don't know really?

Badgergirl says that she keeps things up her sleeve as well as tissues, so :D;)

LSemmens - 14-4-2008 at 12:22

A good vacuum out will help, a damp cloth might assist in removing stubborn marks.

TooCute4Words - 14-4-2008 at 13:06

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
A good vacuum out will help, a damp cloth might assist in removing stubborn marks.

I'll give it a go :)

John_Little - 14-4-2008 at 14:34

I shake the crumbs out of the keyboard every now and again and clean the crud off the mouse.

TooCute4Words - 14-4-2008 at 19:08

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I shake the crumbs out of the keyboard every now and again and clean the crud off the mouse.

Eating and Typing, you're as bad as me laughy_smilielaughy_smilie

Katzy - 14-4-2008 at 19:55

If my board gets too gungy, I buy another one.

I can get a well-decent one for a coupla quid, so...

My mouse is optical, so I never need to clean it.

Daz - 14-4-2008 at 20:04

ditto_kf

TooCute4Words - 14-4-2008 at 22:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
If my board gets too gungy, I buy another one.

I can get a well-decent one for a coupla quid, so...

Thats cheap! only a couple of quid yikes shocked_yellow

I can only imagine everything extra for my laptop would be expensive, but I'm NOT one for mouses or mice either - I just use the one integral with the laptop

Katzy - 14-4-2008 at 22:29

I detest laptops, funnily enough.

You can't, really, pull them apart and upgrade bits/screw things up, like you can with a tower.

Being an old scrote, I prefer a huge monitor, too.

As I have tenosynovitis in my thumb-joints, those daft pads are an absolute nightmare, for me.

I can't see me getting four hard drives in a lappy, either. ;) Not with a couple of DVD burners, too, for sure! :D

LSemmens - 15-4-2008 at 13:21

Lappies have their place and can accommodate normal keyboards/rodents and monitors. The bit about extra drives, Katzy, can be resolved with an external, USB, array. If you are an inveterate tinkerer then the tower is the way to go! As for those daft pads, I get heartily sick of touching the bl***y thing to scroll and find that I've just moved a whole wad of text, or opened a program that will take ages to load (like anything from Adobe) only to have to close it before I can get back to the task at hand. Touch click is the first "feature" that gets turned off with any lappy that I have the misfortune to have to repair! My lappy has a little joystick in the middle of the keyboard (IBM called it a "trackpoint", I don't know what Toshiba call theirs)

Katzy - 15-4-2008 at 17:11

Yeah, I know about the USB thingy, obviously. Not going to keep the lappy entirely portable, though, if you're going to faff about with that sort of thing. You might as well stick with a tower, then, ay?

TooCute4Words - 15-4-2008 at 22:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I detest laptops, funnily enough.

They can get very HOT on your lap and almost burn your balls - so to speak :D

Quote:
You can't, really, pull them apart and upgrade bits/screw things up, like you can with a tower.

I think LSemmens would be kind enough to lend you his Kill1 and demonstrate ways of 'pulling apart' a laptop :D - but there probably won't be much left :o :P;)

Quote:
Being an old scrote, I prefer a huge monitor, too.

As I have tenosynovitis in my thumb-joints, those daft pads are an absolute nightmare, for me.

So that makes K.F _karling_reaches sign, really look BIG!

Quote:
I can't see me getting four hard drives in a lappy, either. ;) Not with a couple of DVD burners, too, for sure! :D

Just plug them in the back of the laptop and when it's on your lap, there are lovely wires going everywhere - it's like spaghetti shocked_yellow

Katzy - 16-4-2008 at 12:10

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

moosenbabe - 17-4-2008 at 16:50

I love my laptop.. but have a hard time cleaning under the keys too.. and im a girl... but yes.. my lappy burns me too!!

TooCute4Words - 18-4-2008 at 19:03

Quote:
Originally posted by moosenbabe
I love my laptop.. but have a hard time cleaning under the keys too.. and im a girl... but yes.. my lappy burns me too!!

I take it off my lap and put it on the arm of my arm-chair. I tip/balance it slightly towards me, just incase it slips shocked_yellow

Dangerous though, but it beats being burnt :D But you can place a big thick book underneath to combat that lol

LSemmens - 19-4-2008 at 11:32

MAybe you need one of those new lappy accessories that Janet posted, I'm sure that they could knit a pad that would insulate you from the heat.

As a reminder: http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=34988

Quaver - 19-4-2008 at 11:39

I put the power setting to battery saving mode when using on my lap, doesn't get as hot;)

scholar - 19-4-2008 at 16:44

As anyone who follows Stargate: Atlantis and SG-1 knows, the great advantage of laptops is that, with the proper connections, they can be used to draw data from and control all manner of alien technology--wormhole dialers, computer databases that are hundreds of thousands of years old, spaceship navigational controls, weapons systems. . . .
laughy_smilie laughy_smilie laughy_smilie

scholar - 19-4-2008 at 22:52

Leigh, I removed keys from my main keyboard for the purpose of cleaning. All went well until I removed the space bar, which has a wire armature. I removed the key for cleaning, easily enough, but now I do not know how to put the wire back in position. Without it, the space bar does not work properly about half the time. I think it is not always rebounding correctly.:(:(

Quaver - 19-4-2008 at 23:15

Wow, pressing the space bar scrolls the screen downkewl_glasses (Just testing to see what you mean by rebound;))

LSemmens - 20-4-2008 at 12:04

Can't help you scholar, I don't know your keyboard. Mine is a long wire spring that clips onto the space bar and slides under a couple of tabs on the keyboard.

dr john - 20-4-2008 at 14:43

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little

Many years ago, as a freelance writer/reviewer, I complained that a certain bit of spreadsheet software always had problems with refreshing some values. They should have refreshed on pressing Ctrl-R, but it rarely happened. So I sent off my review. The next day I noticed that I continually had spelling mistakes involving the letter R not appearing. On looking more closely at the keyboard I saw a huge breadcrumb was stopping the key from depressing properly!!! After removing it, and a few tests, I had to re-write the review and get it in the post very quickly, minus the complaint.
lips_sealed

Quaver - 20-4-2008 at 14:49

Quote:
Originally posted by dr john
get it in the post very quickly, minus the complaint.
lips_sealed

roffle

LSemmens - 20-4-2008 at 15:32

Wooooops!

dr john - 21-4-2008 at 17:51

Yes, and PC World (the mag) accepted it, along with many other articles.