Karl`s PC Help Forums

Obama/Mandela
delanti - 9-12-2013 at 16:14

Much has been made over the last few days by both Obama and the media about what the man Mandela and his writings have had on the man Obama.

I for one fail to see any similarity between the two. I thought when Obama was elected to the Presidency that what I would see would be a replica of Mandela, a man of his Country, a man of harmony between black and white, a man of compassion and free of hatred.

Instead I see a man who has dealt with every black vs white issue who has come down on the black side. A man who refuses to compromise but is determined to get his way as shown by the way the ACA was passed. He was more concerned with leaving a legacy law than leaving a legacy.

Instead of one time giving the opposition one tidbit of compromise, he has manipulated the situation to put himself in the best possible light and the opposition in the worst. I am not sure if all this is the man or the political party who got him elected but as the top man in the party he should have some leadership as to where the Country goes. I believe he is content to let the Senate do the dirty work and set back and let it happen.

Mandela was able to take a sharply divided country and bring it together without it becoming a civil war and spilling blood in the streets. I fail to see one thing that Obama has done to improve anything in this Country between black and white, rich and poor or young and old. It will be years before the ACA plays out and we find out if it is good or bad. It may turn out to be his legacy but it could turn out to be his Albatross.

If I had the option of electing Obama or Mandela as the first black President in the US, I would have voted for Mandela. On all the Sunday news shows, many past and present officials of the US Government spoke glowingly of Mandela and his dignity and demeanor. How I wish I could do so of my President.waveysmiley

Theravad - 10-12-2013 at 17:04

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti

If I had the option of electing Obama or Mandela as the first black President in the US, I would have voted for Mandela. On all the Sunday news shows, many past and present officials of the US Government spoke glowingly of Mandela and his dignity and demeanor. How I wish I could do so of my President.waveysmiley

On the other hand Obama managed to get the nobel peace prize within a few weeks f gaining office - must be a saint? lips_sealedlips_sealedlips_sealedlips_sealed

Redwolf5150 - 12-12-2013 at 17:01

Why should Obama have to compromise with the GOP, who has refused to compromise and doesn't believe that they lost the 2012 election?

It is these extremest Tea Party members of the GOP who have taken the country hostage, NOT the president. If you believe otherwise, you really need to look at the facts, not what FAUX News is spewing.

delanti - 12-12-2013 at 21:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Why should Obama have to compromise with the GOP, who has refused to compromise and doesn't believe that they lost the 2012 election?

It is these extremest Tea Party members of the GOP who have taken the country hostage, NOT the president. If you believe otherwise, you really need to look at the facts, not what FAUX News is spewing.

I didn't say he had to, I would just thought there might be one thing he could compromise on as the head of Government. Someone has to get their head out of their behind and quit the party rhetoric and find a way to compromise. Neither side can blame the other party if neither is willing to find some common ground. It seems Paul Ryan, yes, that Republican Paul Ryan and Democrat Patty Murray have come out with a budget that even Obama is supporting. Now lets see which politician from which side tries to throw the monkey wrench into the works. waveysmiley

delanti - 12-12-2013 at 21:25

Quote:
If you believe otherwise, you really need to look at the facts, not what FAUX News is spewing.

Why do you keep insisting that I get my information from FAUX news? You know, even in Redneck country we get ABC, NBC, CBS and other stations as well. Lately I have even been reading this Newspaper.

Best of the best
waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 14-12-2013 at 15:49

Quote:
Quote:
If you believe otherwise, you really need to look at the facts, not what FAUX News is spewing.

Why do you keep insisting that I get my information from FAUX news? You know, even in Redneck country we get ABC, NBC, CBS and other stations as well. Lately I have even been reading this Newspaper.

Best of the best
waveysmiley

Maybe because the hateful bile you post on here, which you seem to believe, makes you sound just like a FAUX News Supporter.

As for the Courier, I haven't worked for that rag in over six years. And just because I DID, does not mean I agreed with the editorial page written by the Libertarian owner. We had epic political arguments in his office that make anything You and/or Scholar and I have had here seem very "G" rated in comparison.

In fact, when I FINALLY was able to escape that paper, it gave me great pleasure to give him the minimum 2 weeks notice called for in my contract.

The only people who read that paper are older people, and the ONLY thing keeping it afloat financially is the revenue the Legal advertising generates.

Redwolf5150 - 14-12-2013 at 15:53

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't say he had to, I would just thought there might be one thing he could compromise on as the head of Government. Someone has to get their head out of their behind and quit the party rhetoric and find a way to compromise. Neither side can blame the other party if neither is willing to find some common ground. It seems Paul Ryan, yes, that Republican Paul Ryan and Democrat Patty Murray have come out with a budget that even Obama is supporting. Now lets see which politician from which side tries to throw the monkey wrench into the works. waveysmiley

That would be the Tea Party, who now even Speaker Boner wishes desperately he had never gotten in bed with.

Redwolf5150 - 14-12-2013 at 16:02

And if you wonder why I ever worked for the Courier, it was a matter of they needed me more than I needed them. While I couldn't get the pay I wanted from them, I had things written into my contract (Which I INSISTED on having with them over their objections) that would have made it very expensive for them to fire me over a political disagreement.

When I left for the OTHER weekly newspaper in Merrill, I know for a fact they lost close to 25% of their subscribers. They knew I more or less was a check on the publisher's b******* that he would have printed if I hadn't made him think better of it.

marymary100 - 14-12-2013 at 16:30

You see, this is what I really don't get.

In the words of Reddit, explain it like I'm five.

What is a "black issue versus white"?

Seriously.

Skin colour is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned.

Why is there SUCH a difference in mentality in the US?

ELI5?

Redwolf5150 - 14-12-2013 at 16:55

Ask the man who thought it was acceptable to post a photoshopped image of Air Force one so that it's tail number became a racial slur.

marymary100 - 15-12-2013 at 00:50

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

Seriously.

ELI5?

And yet, no answer.

Redwolf5150 - 15-12-2013 at 00:52

You got your answer.

It was the one that is sending me to the exit for an extended -- possibly PERMANENT -- period of time.

The hatred being posted here is getting out of hand, and I'm voting with my feet.

Contact me through Facebook if and when sanity returns.

delanti - 15-12-2013 at 15:45

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously.

ELI5?

And yet, no answer.

Just getting around to looking at all the activity of the last few days. This post has me baffled. It was my comparison of Obama to Mandela as to their differing styles of governing a country that started this thread. I did not interject any black/white comparisons or statements in my comments except to show where Mandela was able to unite black and white, Obama in my opinion has been more of a divider. If you meamt to put this in the Santa/Jesus thread I could understand but why here?waveysmiley

marymary100 - 15-12-2013 at 17:36

Quote:

Instead I see a man who has dealt with every black vs white issue who has come down on the black side. A man who refuses to compromise but is determined to get his way as shown by the way the ACA was passed. He was more concerned with leaving a legacy law than leaving a legacy....

As I said, ELI5, what is a black vs white issue? According to your post there have been lots - implied by "every" - and he has always sided with the black side. I have no idea what you mean and I suspect not many do in this side of the pond. Here we just have left or right or centrist policy. We do not have black or white policy.

delanti - 15-12-2013 at 20:33

Well let me refresh your memory.

Travon Martin

Henry Louis Gates

My opinion may differ from yours but I felt in both these cases Obama would have been better off not giving a comment as President. In both cases, rightly or wrong, the end result was opposite of his position and his comments did nothing but inflame the black on white issue. Not my black on white issue, HIS.waveysmiley

marymary100 - 15-12-2013 at 20:46

Quote:

Travon Martin

Henry Louis Gates

My opinion may differ from yours but I felt in both these cases Obama would have been better off not giving a comment as President. In both cases, rightly or wrong, the end result was opposite of his position and his comments did nothing but inflame the black on white issue. Not my black on white issue, HIS.waveysmiley

No. You've still not answered why there is an issue at all. I still don't understand.

The issue seems to be that black people get beaten up/shot by whites - is that what you're saying? And you think it was not the leader of your country's place to comment that that might be wrong? Is that what you're saying? Would it have been okay for a non-black president to comment? What's the point of having a leader if they aren't allowed to lead, or are they only allowed to lead if they agree with your position?

And by "every" you meant twice? In several years?

delanti - 16-12-2013 at 03:08

Quote:
Quote:

Travon Martin

Henry Louis Gates

No. You've still not answered why there is an issue at all. I still don't understand.

The issue seems to be that black people get beaten up/shot by whites - is that what you're saying? And you think it was not the leader of your country's place to comment that that might be wrong? Is that what you're saying? Would it have been okay for a non-black president to comment? What's the point of having a leader if they aren't allowed to lead, or are they only allowed to lead if they agree with your position?

And by "every" you meant twice? In several years?

My dear Mary. Down here we have a saying "slip chuck" which is a term used when someone is trying to sell you something that is not worth the money. Well my dear, you are trying to slip chuck me. My original comment was about the difference I perceive between 2 presidents, Obama and Mandella and the way they governed as relating to creating better relations between black and white and developing harmony in the Country.
Rather than attempting to show me a different perspective or where Obama has been able to improve racial relations in the US, you keep insisting on trying make this thread something that paints me a racist and black hater. You constantly insist on throwing in the "we do things different over here" comments. I don't care how you do things over there, that was not part of my subject.
With your intelligence I find it hard to believe that you "don't understand" what I am saying. I believe you get great pleasure in using your perceived superior intelligence in nothing more than a subtle attempt at bulling . Well my dear I don't want to get slip chucked so I suggest you toddle off and play your game with someone else thank you very much.
Thread closed!

Redwolf5150 - 16-12-2013 at 03:13

I can't believe this is still going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama is NOT Mandela anymore than the United States is South Africa.

Two TOTALLY different countries, different situations and a much more dangerous situation for Mandela, along with everything he went through.

There is no WAY to compare the two men evenly.

marymary100 - 16-12-2013 at 07:17

Your OP seemed to be suggesting that Obama should have kept quiet about important matters because he was black Delanti. His race should not preclude him from commenting on what is going on in your country. What I don't understand is why skin colour remains an issue in the wealthiest country in the Western world. You're so busy hating each other, you don't have time to deal with getting your country back on track.