Karl`s PC Help Forums

More carnage
marymary100 - 14-12-2012 at 19:53

Another nutjob had access to guns and more children and their teachers have been killed.

Quote:
As many as 27 people have been killed, including many children, in a shooting attack at a primary school in the US state of Connecticut, US media say.

At least 18 children are among the dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, the Associated Press reported.

State police spokesman Paul Vance said the gunman died at the scene - but would not confirm the number of deaths.

giron - 14-12-2012 at 20:00

No real surprise, this sort of thing is fairly common in the land of corruption and depravity, but nobody would like to deny them their God given right to carry arms and shoot each other, it wouldn't be democratic.

marymary100 - 14-12-2012 at 20:20

Cue "If only the teachers could carry guns in schools" comments...

giron - 14-12-2012 at 20:25

The bogus ' English teacher ' seems to think it's a good idea. :huh)

marymary100 - 14-12-2012 at 20:41

Absolutely awful for those whose families have been shot, and those who witnessed the killings.

giron - 14-12-2012 at 20:46

As long as guns are readily available this sort of thing will continue to occur.

marymary100 - 15-12-2012 at 00:03

NBC News is reporting that the guns used bought legally and registered to the gunman's mother. If that's confirmed it means she and her students were killed with weapons purchased in her own name.

marymary100 - 15-12-2012 at 07:32

similar incident in China with a different outcome as the knife wounds were not fatal.

delanti - 15-12-2012 at 21:49

Boggles my mind it does. We can keep disabled children off their airplane flight Girl but we can't keep nut cases out of our schools.

Seems like our priorities are slightly askew.waveysmiley

giron - 15-12-2012 at 22:26

The blood of the innocent victims is on the hands of everyone who supports gun ownership.

marymary100 - 15-12-2012 at 23:03

CIVILIAN GUN OWNERSHIP - United States 270,000,000 civilian firearms - 88.8 for every 100 people. A well regulated militia...

delanti - 16-12-2012 at 03:54

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
The blood of the innocent victims is on the hands of everyone who supports gun ownership.

The only blood on my hands will be his who tries to take my gun. Besides I need them in case the British need us to bail them out of another mess.waveysmiley

marymary100 - 16-12-2012 at 09:38

When was the last time you used your own gun to bail out the British?

delanti - 16-12-2012 at 19:40

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
When was the last time you used your own gun to bail out the British?

1959. My Canadian cousins British war bride from WWII needed a deer roast so I shot a deer so I could give her some. OK?waveysmiley

marymary100 - 16-12-2012 at 19:56

Not bailing out the British really, more a huntin', shootin', fishin' sort of thing because you like it.

giron - 16-12-2012 at 20:24

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Quote:

The only blood on my hands will be his who tries to take my gun.

That comment just about sums up the American attitude to guns. :huh)

delanti - 17-12-2012 at 00:14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only blood on my hands will be his who tries to take my gun.

That comment just about sums up the American attitude to guns. :huh)

The second amendment gives me the right to my gun and the first amendment gives me free speech. What does your government give you? waveysmiley

marymary100 - 17-12-2012 at 06:58

I'd rather have the NHS than a gun. waveysmiley

giron - 17-12-2012 at 11:44

Quote:

What does your government give you? waveysmiley

The right to walk down the street without being shot by a gun crazy nutter.

delanti - 17-12-2012 at 15:15

I can understand the utopian attitude of many against gun possession. Yet at the same time I look at the Country of Syria where an oppressed populace is attempting to overthrow a dictatorial government that has deprived them of rights for many years. I look at how many citizens and children have been killed by the Government in the last year while the rest of the world stands by with their hands in their pockets. Why don't the world come down on those Syrian rebels for their possession of weapons?

We would all like to think that all Governments only want the best for their citizens and would never do anything to harm them but it is a changing world and who knows what lies down the road. We only have to look at the past to see the possibilities of what can happen.

38 years

Troops aid killings

waveysmiley

marymary100 - 17-12-2012 at 17:25

You Americans are all neurotic about your Government being out to shaft you. It's quite extraordinary - a national psychosis.

delanti - 18-12-2012 at 00:17

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
You Americans are all neurotic about your Government being out to shaft you. It's quite extraordinary - a national psychosis.

Thank you for the analysis, haven't had on this week.:D

delanti - 18-12-2012 at 00:25

Why they don't have school shooting in Israel. waveysmiley

marymary100 - 18-12-2012 at 07:16

You think Israel is a safe place to live? <insert hollow laughter here> This photo is one I've seen before and is reputed to be in fact not of a teacher in a school setting. It is an off duty officer on a field trip and they are expected to carry their weapons on display even when they are off duty. We all need to be careful that we do not perpetuate the myths that left or right wing organisations try to feed us.

The "We Need To Talk About Kevin" author - Lionel Shriver -happened to be on TV last night after I posted talking about what she thinks of American gun culture. She largely agreed with my "analysis" and went even further. In her opinion guns are used to give Americans the semblance of "freedom" and pointed out that despite the anti-government stance of most gun carrying Americans, that you are the most regulated country in the world (about everything other than guns). The actual state of affairs is that when people do take up arms against the government it ends badly for them not for the government. She cited Waco and several other cases. waveysmiley

giron - 18-12-2012 at 15:31

If the Yanks want to go around shooting each other who are we to criticise ?

Fair enough, it ain't much fun for the innocent victims that get slaughtered, but that's just a minor inconvenience for having the right to own guns.

This post wasn't sponsored by the NRA

delanti - 18-12-2012 at 21:56

Lionel Shriver author. Writes a book about a mothers life, feelings and relationship with her son when she herself has never had a child. I am sorry but I do't believe all the research in the world could prepare you to understand a parent child relationship unless you have had one.

As far as Waco being a good example of taking up guns against the Government, that is a poor example of what I have been talking about. That was a case where a cult was drawing attention to themselves by the Government by their actions. I am not talking about the Government interacting with small groups but rather with the populace as a whole.waveysmiley

delanti - 18-12-2012 at 22:01

Here is a school where the Administration understands the difference between first response and First Responders. First response is the reaction against threat. First Responders ar those who show up to treat the results of no response to threat. Usually 15 minutes after the violence has ended.waveysmiley

Guardian plan

marymary100 - 18-12-2012 at 22:16

We are never going to agree on this. We've both been raised so differently that there can be no middle ground.

I would rather die at the hands of a gunman than be the gunman - simple as.

You, I suspect, could never take that position.

I will not glorify violence and carnage and I refuse to buy into your ethos that owning a gun is somehow a protection from guns.

Insanity is repeating patterns and expecting things to change. By their words and deeds shall you know them. If you're not prepared to change personally and give up your weapons then you are, my friend, part of the problem.

You are happy with the way things are. You (pl) are, apparently, happy to continue to let any sicko have access to guns that take away the lives of innocent bystanders. You make people prove every so often that they are fit to drive and yet you sell weapons of destruction to every Tom, Dick and Harry and there are no checks that they keep these weapons in a secure location or that they might be stockpiling weapons and ammo.

Who in their right mind would ever need to have a clip that could take out a whole classroom of students in a couple of minutes? What possible excuse could there be for people owning those types of weapons?

But hey, be as right wing and gun totting as you like. You need to live there. You need to decide what kind of person you will be. If you seriously think that you are living in some potential future Syria then stockpile away and may it bring you happiness.

I'd rather be British.

giron - 21-12-2012 at 19:08

Apparently the pro gun fanatics are suggesting that teachers should be issued with M32 Grenade Launchers in order to defend themselves against crazy nutters with military grade weapons.

marymary100 - 21-12-2012 at 19:33

"Didn't do your homework, eh Jimmy?" Bang...

giron - 21-12-2012 at 19:55

As the NRA clearly state :-

Quote:

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," Mr LaPierre told reporters.

Obviously the school janitors would also need to be tooled up and possibly some of the older pupils too.

giron - 21-12-2012 at 21:04

The NRA shoot themselves in the foot.

marymary100 - 21-12-2012 at 21:17

killer proves the fallacy

Quote:
But before they could finish their sentence, the counterargument made itself as news broke of a mass shooting event in Pennsylvania with multiple casualties, including state troopers.
According to local reports out of Blair County, at least four people were killed and five more were injured in a shooting spree near Altoona. The gunman is said to be among the dead, and at least two state troopers were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

WPXI's Courtney Brennan says she was told by emergency officials that the shooting suspect "was 'mobile' at one point and went up and down a rural road and shot victims."

No additional information is available at this time, but a spokeswoman told the Altoona Mirror it was "a relatively large crime scene."

Meanwhile, back at the NRA press conference, LaPierre was blaming anything and everything for the Sandy Hook massacre except guns.

marymary100 - 21-12-2012 at 21:28

Actual NRA quote from today's press conference: "This is the beginning of a serious conversation. We won't be taking any questions."

1) $6.7 billion: The annual cost to staff one armed guard at 133,183 U.S. schools, assuming $50K full cost for each guard.

2) NRA is a job creator however: flowers, teddy bears, funeral directors, cemetery plots, black clothing. Deserve a chamber of commerce award?

3) "Good guys with guns" shot nine people during Empire State Building shooting in August.

4) Exxon takes a lead from NRA, proposes filling the oceans with oil to safeguard against future tanker spills.

a guide to this year's mass shootings

giron - 22-12-2012 at 13:57

As Wayne LaPierre may, or may not, have said -

"The reports of the massacres are greatly exaggerated "

marymary100 - 22-12-2012 at 15:32

I saw a suggestion that there would be no school massacres if they shut all the schools - I think it was a joke.

giron - 22-12-2012 at 15:49

No, that was one of the more sensible suggestions from the NRA.

However, in the event of schools staying open they have proposed an addition to the school uniform, the Dragon SkinŽ Body Armor

marymary100 - 22-12-2012 at 16:11

Seems armless to me...

delanti - 23-12-2012 at 21:42

I know I get confused easily but! In 1983 a Drug Abuse Resistance Education acronym DARE was developed and police departments put an officer in the schools to administer the program and help keep kids off drugs. Almost every school I know of had a DARE resource officer in school every day.

First, I am not sure how effective it was when you look at the drug uses today. But if people have no problem with a police officer in school to stop drug use, why would they have a problem with one keeping our children from getting shot? waveysmiley

DARE

marymary100 - 23-12-2012 at 22:09

Because it's a gun in a school - hth

delanti - 6-1-2013 at 17:55

Get rid of those guns, they are dangerous. waveysmiley

38 saves 3 lives

marymary100 - 6-1-2013 at 18:05

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

Redwolf5150 - 9-1-2013 at 23:00

Why is the greatest political commentator of American media stuck on a fake news show on a basic cable channel?

These two videos should be seen by every American because Jon makes many, MANY valid points.

Redwolf5150 - 11-1-2013 at 00:36

[bad img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/393154_586065821407198_237493075_n.jpg[/bad img]